Thread: Natsume Brings Over Mystic Chronicles

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Natsume Brings Over Mystic Chronicles

Not content to merely give everyone glorious farming RPGs, Natsume will be giving us an RPG experience that is both much more traditional and a touch more obscure. Feel free to brag to us if you've heard of this one before.

[Link]

So a few things we weren't able to put in the press release:
    1. Yeah, this is an iOS game, sort of. Think of it as an enhanced port. The PSP game is nearly twice the size, both in content and in raw wordiness.
    2. The game's been completely re-localized; the iOS version suffers from a really BAD translation.

I was playing the iOS version awhile ago, but I didn't get very far. I just found it rather bland. Maybe this version will prove to be better though.

I was looking into picking it up but after reading lots of reviews that call it a potentially good game with a horrible translation I was turned away.

This game is an exact copy of Fantasy Chronicle from Kotobuki Solutions: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rpg-...441242571?mt=8

It IS Fantasy Chronicle. Or, as I said in the first post, actually an enhanced port of it with a completely new localization. Natsume and Kemco are working together on it. Kotobuki published the iOS version, and has nothing to do with this one...thank goodness.

Edited to clarify names. I always get them backwards.

I am excited for this one. The Kemco phone games all look pretty cool, but I have a Blackberry and no desire to game on my phone anyways.
    Bean Forever

Well Fantasy Chronicle was my favorite game from them because the gameplay is quite challenging but not impossible, the dungeon design is nice and the story is quite a bit uncommon. Just didn't get why they would localize it again and then re-release it. Or that everybody looked down on me for liking Kotobuki RPGs but this makes it to the news. =D
    Last edited by Rya.Reisender; 02-23-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Well I'm pretty sure most people mentioned already that the translation was bad and that warrants a re-release and people probably are interested now because it's a re-release.
    Zerase ^_^

Recently Finished: Suikoden II
    Currently Playing: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Final Fantasy V

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    Well Fantasy Chronicle was my favorite game from them because the gameplay is quite challenging but not impossible, the dungeon design is nice and the story is quite a bit uncommon. Just didn't get why they would localize it again and then re-release it. Or that everybody looked down on me for liking Kotobuki RPGs but this makes it to the news. =D
    Doing some research, Kotobuki publishes a lot of Kemco's games (and other companies as well) -- choosing good games for the English market and releasing them with crap translations. I can see why you'd like them and why you'd be ignorant of their detractors' issues.

Again, however, this isn't just "same game new dialogue" -- the PSP version (developed after the phone's release) has considerably more depth and breadth than its iOS counterpart.