Thread: inXile Launches a Kickstarter Project for the New Torment

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

inXile Launches a Kickstarter Project for the New Torment

Following its success with the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter, inXile is taking another gamble in asking fans for a large amount of money. Based on how things have already progressed, it seems fans are very willing to pledge that money.

[Link]
    Last edited by TwinBahamut; 03-06-2013 at 09:53 AM.

I supported this kickstarter. When I went to donate to them earlier, they'd already hit a half million or so. They're over a million now... craaaaaazy (and over their goal). I guess WotC must be kicking themselves now over being so stingy with the Planescape license.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitawa View Post
    I supported this kickstarter. When I went to donate to them earlier, they'd already hit a half million or so. They're over a million now... craaaaaazy (and over their goal). I guess WotC must be kicking themselves now over being so stingy with the Planescape license.
    It certainly is crazy.

I'm not sure if WotC cares that much about losing potential money from the Planescape license, though. After being a fan of D&D for years, I doubt WotC cares about the D&D brand very much, and it certainly cares pretty little for the Planescape brand considering it shows no signs of reviving it as such (I think that's a perfectly good move, too, but that is probably a discussion for a different time and place). I do wonder why they haven't tried convincing someone to make Magic the Gathering: Torment, though.

Moderator Moderator flamethrower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitawa View Post
    I guess WotC must be kicking themselves now over being so stingy with the Planescape license.
    You never know. Maybe they are sending emails to their legal department.

I was going by the Rock-Paper-Shotgun interview:

"Fargo: We asked and were rebuffed. In reality we didnít push very hard on licensing it as the team was excited to work with Monte on Numenera and they felt that there would be less creative restriction. And WotC has been pretty silent on this space for some time. Neither Feargus nor I was able to get a Baldurís Gate 3 project going."

Enter the "spiritual successor" in a completely new world (a world generated over a separate Kickstarter no less). I don't know that WotC really cares about the various offshoot settings of DnD though, that's true. They eventually brought Darksun back I guess? Planescape was always more of a freakshow, maybe that's the problem. I liked the City of Doors though, and I liked all of the "little" details like period-English slang in dialog for the PS:Torment game. It was the creators of the game that managed to make setting memorable, more than the setting.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    what wotc fails to make the fullest use of a TSR IP? this happened in the past 15 years.

Looks great, love the art design. Nice to see a pitch that isn't insultingly vague.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Ha, so this is what Mac was talking about on Twitter. I backed it, but I never backed Wasteland 2 (brown post-apocalyptica has worn out its welcome in my books), so it's my first inXile Kickstarter.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I backed this. Think there is a lot of potential in this being a good game. I won't regret my pledge either way.