Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feature - Favourite Villains

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Feature - Favourite Villains

Heroes are totally overrated. RPGamer is here to share some of their all time favourite villains in RPGs. Did your favourites make the cut?

This is the life you see, the devil tips his hat to me!

There may or may not have been some personal bias in my selection for this feature.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Don't think I said this yet, so a job well done to all the write-ups.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

My favorites are definitely there, and they all come from great games. I'm trying to think of someone I loved as a villain that you guys didn't have. Maybe Luc from Suikoden III, but he's not nearly as cool as the ones you have lsited.

I can't tell you how glad I am that Sephiroth is NOT on that list. Worst villain ever.

Definitely some good choices on there. Not sure if I have anything worthwhile to add. I'd want to add a little more western love to the list, but honestly WRPG bosses are rarely memorable.

I don't pick "favourite" villains all that easily. There are some qualities I appreciate, but it can be boring to always encounter the same kind of deep, tormented guy who is actually trying to do the right thing by the wrong means. I like to mix it up.

That said, I've always loved Kefka. And I'm still awaiting the day Sylvanas starts a major sh*tstorm in WoW land. I wonder what will happen then...all Forsaken characters are replaced with a new faction?
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 03-08-2013 at 10:39 PM.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I cannot disagree with this list. Well done.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    There was one more villain I wanted to add when I was doing this feature but he came to me as things were winding down which was Max from Growlanser 2. The guy wanted to brainwash people into PEACE. How unique is that?

Not going to lie, I may have said to the staff that Sephiroth wasn't a great choice in terms of what we were looking for. A lot of the villains on this list have some weird personality quirks or have interesting goals in what they are attempting to do. I mean, look at Lezard! He screws around with the world all because he wants to get laid!

well well, look who it is randal77's Avatar
    The Shu writeup is kind of a biography of the guy... when reading it, I didn't quite feel that it captured the essence of why I liked him. Main reason is definitely his awesome theme song, but also his debut in SRW:OG1 is awesome. You have a mission near the start where Granzon (2/3rds of the Federation budget went into building this) is being unveiled and you have to defend it from an attack, when all of a sudden it goes online, turns around and activates it's black hole cluster, sinking a battleship while the captain's screams "DAMN YOU SHU SHIRAKAWA!!!". Actually defeating him in OG1 is entirely optional - you get one chance about 17 missions in, and it's incredibly hard to do because the objective is to defeat Bian's Valsion, which is a struggle just on it's own. Beating Shu gives you the line "So, you managed to defeat my Granzon...". You don't get to fight him for real until two games later, where he appears as the last boss in his powered up Neo Granzon.

My honorable mention is Alvis from Fire Emblem 4 (can't really discuss him much further without spoilers, this is your warning). In the entire first half of the game your army is running around the world map dealing with rebellions and attacks by other states, and in dealing with these you end up in control of these states/countries. Most of these are being incited by the dark cult of which Alvis is a secret member. Halfway through this your team is declared traitors by the evil nobles advising the king. You finally get back to the palace after disposing of this faction, where Alvis gives you a heroes welcome... just before slaying your entire army/party. Yes, all of those named characters with backstories, special weapons, relationships, all dead. Before he does this he also shows you his new wife... which was yours, who is now brainwashed. The story picks up again 17 years later when you're playing as the children of the slain heroes trying to rebel against Alvis's empire. When you finally meet him though, he's a shadow of his former self - the dark cult and his own demonic son essentially turned him into a puppet. His last act of defiance before you fight him is to free some captured children from being sacrified, and his punishment for that is to be sent out to fight your army. He still hates you though, taunting your party members and is a difficult fight with his artifact spellbook Foreblaze.
    Wait a second... If you're here, than that means... oh boy

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    I was going to write somthing about Vaas. but he just speaks for himself.

A lot of my favourites here, although I've never been too enamoured with Kefka, personally. I also wish that you didn't take an image of Kefka from the lousy PSX opening FMV, rather than from one of his boss battle sprites. That said, having Kefka here is understandable and a good choice since he really is a great villain and one of the best in the series. Including Exdeath, though? Not so much.

I'd have laughed if Jenova was on this list and Sephiroth wasn't, since one thing that stands out to me while replaying Final Fantasy VII is that Jenova essentially is the true villain, while Sephiroth is a puppet of sorts. In any case, I certainly disagree with anyone who calls Sephiroth the worst villain ever. I mean, he's not even close to being the worst in his own series, with guys like Exdeath and Neclord around.

Lastly, I think everyone missed out on who I consider to be the best Final Fantasy villain: Delita, from Final Fantasy Tactics. You mention Yggdrasil as paralleling the heroes in Tales of Symphonia, but the parallels between Delita and Ramza in FFT are stronger and more morally ambiguous--definitely more mature and sophisticated, in spite of the game's terrible translation, than what is present in Tales of Symphonia. The game ends after one of Delita murders and, no matter what you do, he takes credit for all of the hard work you, the player, do over the course of the game. He's interesting throughout and keeps you thinking after the credits are over, which is more than can be said for many of the guys on this list.

Lastly, I think everyone missed out on who I consider to be the best Final Fantasy villain: Delita, from Final Fantasy Tactics
    Gotta agree, although I wish Ramza communicated with Delita about some of his actions, so that holds him back from being my all time favourite. For me, a part of the fun is seeing how the hero reacts to the villains' actions. Ramza doesn't seem to know about Delita's later actions, so it feels like a missed opportunity. Yes, the game gives us enough context in the first chapter, but I was still waiting for that final showdown between Ramza and Delita, even if it was just Ramza calling Delita a jerk.

I like the list, but just like Delita, a lot of these people should be re-classified as anti-heroes.

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I was toying with the idea of doing either a piece on N or Ghetsis from Pokemon Black/White. N is more of an anti-villain, though. Ghetsis might be of the obviously evil sort, but the things he did to N and others around him to get what he wants is pretty extreme for Pokemon. He's also the only Pokemon villain who directly attacked a trainer with a Pokemon (and a Legendary at that!) rather than battling the kid first.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    If we wanted more Western love, a good choice would have been Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2. That guy is craaaaaaaaaazy. Didn't think of it though.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Lavos is missing.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    If we wanted more Western love, a good choice would have been Handsome Jack from Borderlands 2. That guy is craaaaaaaaaazy. Didn't think of it though.
    Other good Western choices: Jon Irenicus from BG 2, The Guardian from Ultima VII, and The Master from Fallout 1 (in particular for the awesome option of talking him into going nuts and destroying himself rather than fighting him).

And Lavos is a giant flaming space parasite. :-p

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Yeah, Lavos didn't really do that much for the story. It was responsible for the destruction, but other parties did all the work.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    It was a Giant Space Flea from Nowhere, except everybody knew about it in advance.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Eve would have been a good addition.

But I was pleasantly surprised to see Miang. +1
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway