Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Square Enix Looses Dragons Upon the World Again

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff

Square Enix Looses Dragons Upon the World Again

Square Enix loves dragons, lots of blood, and is hoping there are many more fans of it. Dragons, and swords, and erotic undertones, oh my?!

A wild story link appears!

I would like to see what this game looks like.

The Gematsu source has some scans, but I think it might be all CG. There is supposedly gameplay screens in the full scans, so hopefully we'll get to see it soon. Apparently doesn't look great, but the first two didn't look good even for the PS2. The site is also supposed to open soon, so maybe they'll have a trailer for it.

I played the first one. I got it when it came out and thought it was decent enough. Interesting story. I haven't played the second though.

I think the exact thought that I had when I read this news was "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!"

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

As someone who though that Nier was a vastly inferior follow up to this series, I'm glad that they're going back to what was awesome in the first place!

So excited!

No Sawako Natori.

Keiichi Okabe.

Two strikes... but still, I must be optimistic.

The music in the game will be handled by Keiichi Okabe, who handled the music in Nier as well.
    Woohoo!

The game stars a Utautai named Zero, who can control magic through the use of songs. The player's power increases when exposed to blood splatter. Another character announced is her sister, One, whose personality is directly opposite of Zero. Zero has a flower growing where her right eye should be, and her left arm is artificial.
    .... O_o

Ah, those wacky Japanese.

Monster Lover
    My great big list of 'games that I thought would never happen' is one entry smaller.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    My year has just gotten better.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

So happy that some of the old Nier team members are getting together for this game.

It warms my cold heart to see so many people excited for this game. I can't wait, and really hope it gets localized.

Never played the Drakengard games but I liked Nier. I'll be following the progress of the game, if it gets a Western release.

As I read on Gematsu it seems that the female protagonist Zero is a sexual beast.

http://gematsu.com/2013/03/drakengar...-playstation-3

Read carefully.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

First I ace my final this morning and then this? Man, today is on the track to being best day of 2013!

Well, I certainly didn't expect this. I would be tempted to pick it up, but the gameplay of the first hasn't exactly aged well. Unless they've improved it significantly it's going to be a pass...despite the fact the premise has stirred my morbid curiosity.

RE: Lord Kaiser, "A flower grows on her right eye, and her left arm is an artificial one. She doesn’t mind having a relationship with a number of men."

Ah yes, the stilted, abrasive phrasing that can only come from an authentically shoddy translation.

'“It’s not Drakenguard or Nier,” said creative director Yoko Taro. “If you’re expecting that, you’ll be disappointed.”'

So the third in the series isn't actually a Drakengard game? Huh, the logic behind the evolution of the 'Final Fantasy' series is beginning to become clear.
    Last edited by Heidegger; 03-13-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Yeah it could be a mistranslation... I had not seen a promiscuous female protagonist on a RPG before. This game could be a mold breaker!

*Update*

the website is open with new screenshots.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/dod3/
    Last edited by LordKaiser; 03-13-2013 at 10:21 PM.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

wow it looks like a ps1 game
    Last edited by AncientRune; 03-14-2013 at 01:42 AM.

Yup it looks like a HD remastered PS2 game.... Only a strong story can save it.

That blonde must be a descendant of Manah. The resemblance is just too obvious.

Anyway, I just want to say that every time someone says that a game "looks like a x game" I get really excited, especially when it's an RPG or action RPG. It means developers are developing smarter and limiting resources that are spent purely on graphics. This means both more resources for the more important components of a game, and more opportunity for financial success.

It should of course be noted that the developer, Access Games, has mostly worked on PSP titles. I suppose they're best known as the developer of the Lord of Arcana games published by Square.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LordKaiser View Post
    Yup it looks like a HD remastered PS2 game.... Only a strong story can save it.
    If graphics were all we cared about, we wouldn't be able to play older games. Graphics don't bother me...is the game fun enough to keep me playing, that is the question. Also, the graphics remind me of Bayonetta's graphics, so I don't think we'll have a problem on that front.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.