Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staff Review - Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Staff Review - Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk

Sometimes taking a magnificent journey may lead us to the promised land. "A promise is a promise," and Ayesha shows RPGamers the true value of keeping them.

Staff Review

I only tried it for about an hour but the gathering seems a lot better than in the Arland trilogy.

Thanks for the detailed review.
    I'll probably pick this up on sale someday.

I think one thing the review neglected to mention is that the game is very atmosphere-heavy, in the best way possible. It's incredible all around; the final dungeon as a whole is noteworthy in that regard, and I'm glad you mentioned MARIA, the final boss theme. I'm very interested in seeing where this new world goes in subsequent entries, as the background and lore is very fascinating.

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    Interesting review. I found Rorona amusing, but the fairly relaxed central story wasn't really my thing, so I didn't come back for Totori or Meruru.

But, if Ayesha has a strong narrative, perhaps I should give it a try. Pity about the voice-acting, though.

By the way, should it also be mentioned that anyone who isn't satisfied with this game's music that the DLC pack that was recently released covers not only the entire Atelier series, but also pretty much all of the games Gust has released during its history, including arranged and Japan-only preorder albums?

Of course, there are a few exceptions to this:
    - The Ar tonelico games
    - The Welcome House games
    - Ares-ou no Monogatari
    - and finally, Ciel Nosurge.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Reading your review, as well as a couple others, indicates to me that Ayesha is worth a try Nyx. Added emphasis on story, atmosphere, spruced up combat, and a little simplification to the alchemy seem reason enough to give the PS3 Ateliers another shot. In spite of my best efforts I couldn't get into Rorona and passed up the proceeding games just like ironmage. Definitely gonna rent it soon.
    Last edited by ChickenGod; 03-13-2013 at 07:47 PM.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Quote Originally Posted by aquagon View Post
    By the way, should it also be mentioned that anyone who isn't satisfied with this game's music that the DLC pack that was recently released covers not only the entire Atelier series, but also pretty much all of the games Gust has released during its history, including arranged and Japan-only preorder albums?

Of course, there are a few exceptions to this:
    - The Ar tonelico games
    - The Welcome House games
    - Ares-ou no Monogatari
    - and finally, Ciel Nosurge.
    i should be used to it by now, but i still get annoyed when developers release stuff like costumes and music as dlc and charge for it. They always feel like things that would have been unlocked for free back in the ps2 era.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

Let's not have too much of a rose tinted lens: it would've been cut due to time or budget in the PS2 era.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Let's not have too much of a rose tinted lens: it would've been cut due to time or budget in the PS2 era.
    Ah, but rose-tinted glasses are what gamers are ABOUT! If we can't romanticize the old days like the decrepit, nostalgic old farts we are, how are we EVER going to have our fun?

</melodrama>

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumoau View Post
    i should be used to it by now, but i still get annoyed when developers release stuff like costumes and music as dlc and charge for it. They always feel like things that would have been unlocked for free back in the ps2 era.
    And as an aside, the normal music is still perfectly accessible in the game. The DLC just unlocks pretty much all of the music the Gust composers and arrangers have made since the Atelier Marie days. And I'd say that it's quite a bargain: 2.99$ for a number of albums that would amount easily to beyond 200$, some of which can't be even found or bought anymore.

never been able to get in these games something about being level 20 and only have 30 hp bothers me

I've played the game for a while now and have to say I don't mind the voice acting. Better than Rorona/Totori imo(never tested the English for Meruru).

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Meruru had the best voice acting in the Arland trilogy, IMO. I'm not sure whether I hate Totori or Ayesha's English voice acting more (the specific characters, not the overall VA), since I switched Totori to the JP track within the first half hour.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I hate Totori more for sure, she isn't spectacular by any means but I don't mind Ayesha's voice.

I still need to finish Totori, but this looks even more promising.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Well, since Ayesha and Totori are very obviously not in the same continuity, you could try this one anyway and not have to worry about any potential spoilers

Also, I agree with Airik; the atmosphere is really what made this game great. It's always interesting to see what the Atelier team will do with a new branch of the series, but I was not expecting post-apocalyptic by any means. The designers did a good job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    Well, since Ayesha and Totori are very obviously not in the same continuity, you could try this one anyway and not have to worry about any potential spoilers
    That's a good point. It's on my list. I guess I'm just feeling the pressure of my backlog, when it comes to buying more games in a series I'm already backlogged in. That hasn't always stopped me before, but we'll see.

Iv been playing it a lot, Iv just got a bit into the second year I just hope I'm not wasting a lot of time, as I haven't really been progressing the story a lot.
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster

By the way, here's something interesting for everyone out there:

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/612/612962/
    http://gematsu.com/2013/03/new-ateli...veal-next-week

It's an announcement on the next game of the series, although the full details won't be revealed until the next Dengeki issue gets published this March 28th.