Thread: Shin Megami Tensei IV Fuses Together a New Trailer

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Shin Megami Tensei IV Fuses Together a New Trailer

As always, the latest trailer for Shin Megami Tensei IV is best viewed alongside someone who can translate all of the Japanese for you. Those without that advantage can ogle at the demon designs and strange rabbit-ear hats.

[Link]

New Member Member
    Looks good, though a little disappointed they decided to go with 2D battles. Seems like a step down from its predecessor SMT3 Nocturne which came out 10 years ago. I understand that its the same mechanically, but a little windows dressing goes a long way toward immersion. My guess is they were trying to speed up battles due to the game being on a portable system.

I would've hoped they'd have some fusion of styles, like Fire Emblem did with 2D character art, but 3D models for battle. The choice is even more strange with 3D models for running around in dungeons (like Nocturne).

I liked the battle models in Nocturne:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wYI6_B0vm8
    (the teeth chatter before the fight starts is amusing as well)

2D is a stylistic decision I guess, but I prefer the depth and movement of 3D models having seen them. 2D Sprites tend to lack the same degree of animation (probably because having lots of animation frames drawn for hundreds of monsters would be very expensive I guess).