Thread: Terranigma - Staff Retroview

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

Terranigma - Staff Retroview

It is a game with many memorable aspects, such as its unique release schedule and enjoyable mechanics. For some reason it also possesses a skateboarder with a backward baseball cap and MC Hammer sprites, providing evidence of when it was in development.
    Columbus is in here too. Who knew?
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

It's a very good game but there's equipment that I can't find yet no mater how hard I look.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

The is one of my all time favorites, so part of me was thinking anything less than 5/5 would be heresy before clicking on your review... After stepping back for a minute though, 4/5 seems entirely fair ... just not 3.5 as i would be very displeased about that. Really though, solid review and i'm really glad you wrote it. If even one person stumbles on it and plays the game for the first time then that is so very much WIN.

I would had bought this game if it was released on the USA.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

New Member New Registered User
    Nice review for a great game. One of my favorites.

There are a couple of things I would like to correct, however. You don't need to go into the menus to manage your magic, you can set the Jewel Box as your equipped item and access your magic rings that way. A lot less cumbersome to use, though they still remain fairly situational. There's only a couple situations where I find offensive magic to be particularly useful, though some of the special "Pin" magics are always handy and they tend to be cheaper than healing items. The second bit is that magirocks aren't in limited supply. Think of them like... empty bottles. You fill them with magic, you use the magic, you're left with the empty bottle. As such, you can never truly run out of them. Of course, it ends up making the game even easier once you realize you can stock up on Grass Pins for healing. Though you can't use magic on most boss fights, it lets you save your healing bulbs.

I didn't play this game until about 2005 or so. When I did it was such an emotionally nostalgic throwback to my favorite SNES games. Truly an all-time gem of the 16bit era. You don't get many experiences like that later in life, because you generally already know of everything out there, if not already played it. It came out of the blue to me, and as a lover of all of Quintet's other games, it was just incredibly special. Glad you reviewed it!

Just registered, but very long time follower of this site (since 1999). Thanks so much for reviewing this game. The entire series is incredible and I usually play through all three games once every couple years or so along with A Link To The Past and Super Metroid. Maybe its just nostalgia, but there is something unique about SNES RPGs that doesn't exist in video games anymore and I haven't been able to put my finger on exactly what it is. I use the name Ark in any game that allows me to name my character.
    Last edited by mechenggould; 03-23-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Still one of my favourite games from my childhood, my grandparents bought it for my brother and I for Christmas, and Mum had to forceably remove me from the SNES so we could go visit them on christmas day. It was an amazing game for a 10/11ish (not sure off the top of my head) kid, and we played the heck out of it, discovering all the secrets without a FAQ, powerleveling in turns. Hating ghost towns with a passion. Ahh nostalgia that hasn't aged badly.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/trac...iend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by mechenggould View Post
    [...] Maybe its just nostalgia, but there is something unique about SNES RPGs that doesn't exist in video games anymore and I haven't been able to put my finger on exactly what it is. [...]
    Welcome to RPGamer...

I completely agree...I am also infectet beyond any hope with Nostalgia-itis to the core....and I also like this game very much. It was in my opinion also a way better game than Illusion of Time (thats Illusion of Gaia for you NA-gamers over there)

It was the seond game I played trough on a SNES emulator after my SNES died back in 98 (first one being Secret of Mana)...
    I would like to see this on my iPAD and play trough it as well.....SNES-era RPGS are great games for "on the go" mobile gaming....will also be one of 7 "rich guy" suckers who will buy FF V on iOS when it hits EU iTunes...

Yeah the world needs more ports of SNES RPGS so what? There actually IS a costumer base quite happy with it (not with SE pricing model, but whatever)