Thread: Etrian Odyssey Expands on the 3DS

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff

Etrian Odyssey Expands on the 3DS

A new Etrian Odyssey title is being developed for the Nintendo 3DS, but Atlus has a surprise. This title will take players back in time in the series.

A wild link appears

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Interesting news, hopefully they improve upon it with some of the conveniences of EO4, such as the improved skill tree and quicker respecing. A couple new classes or the addition of subclasses could also spice things up too.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Updated the story. Apparently this game will feature named characters with set classes. There will be a main character and other party members will join him along the way. Looks like EO1 the JRPG instead of EO1 the crawler.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    ...That sounds kind of unappealing for this series. I mentioned when I got Etrian Odyssey 4 for the very first time my great displeasure that names I wanted to pick were blocked. A big part of the fun from EO stems from customizing one's team, all the way from their names, portraits, and class. You'll probably have enough party members to support 1 of each class type at least, but come on. What about the people who want to run two or more of the same class? Hopefully it'll all work out.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Updated again... with quite a few details. There will be classes that can be changed, but this only changes the skills available to learn by the character.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Unless this reuses the same exact labyrinth as EO1, I don't see how this is a remake. Sounds more like an Etrian Odyssey Lite spinoff with a setting closer to EO1 than EO2, 3, or 4.

It's an unexpected twist on the game's formula if it streamlines party creation but keeps the 1st person exploration. If they were going to simplify something in an EO1-inspired spinoff, I would have guessed the exploration and labyrinth would be streamlined while the party member system -- which is simple once you get past the crummy way it's presented -- would be left alone.

And if they are changing the labyrinth along with party member creation, why call it an EO1 remake? It won't have anything more in common with EO1 than other games in the series.

Guess I'm interested and confused.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

They thought it was getting stale, so they wanted to focus on story/characters on this one.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Very strange, but I'll give it a shot

Named companions? Unchangeable appearances? Are we even talking about the same series?

Sounds like a spin-off rather than a remake.

And I don't want to give any spoilers, but they went all over the "world" and outside the setting trope in the EO series. If they thought they were getting stale, they need to hire better writers and/or simply explore stories that don't involve Yggdrasil.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imercenary View Post
    If they thought they were getting stale, they need to hire better writers and/or simply explore stories that don't involve Yggdrasil.
    Considering the name of the series in Japan is "Labyrinth of Yggdrasil," that last part is unlikely.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thCircle View Post
    Considering the name of the series in Japan is "Labyrinth of Yggdrasil," that last part is unlikely.
    This title doesn't have that.... title, though, even has a logo different than normal.

But... Atlus is calling it a remake, and is using the setting of the original as the jump off.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madhtr View Post
    This title doesn't have that.... title, though, even has a logo different than normal.

But... Atlus is calling it a remake, and is using the setting of the original as the jump off.
    Well, it does have that title. "Shin Seikaiju no Meikyuu", which roughly translates as "New Dungeon of the World Tree" or "New Yggdrasil Labyrinth". It seems strange to expect them to abandon the central premise in that title, to be honest...

This is certainly an unexpected announcement, but it is an interesting one. I started the series with EO3, so I'm actually rather curious about this one. I doubt I'd be able to play the original game after enjoying the later games in the series, after all. I do hope a lot of the gameplay is still the same, even if they are changing such key elements, though.
    Last edited by TwinBahamut; 03-27-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thCircle View Post
    Except the series has never been about Yggdrasil. Its a red herring. Hell, the game can't even decide whether it wants you to climb Yggdrasil or tunnel down into it. In EO1, its going down. EO2, its going up. EO3, its 'kinda' down again depending on which stratum you're talking about. EO4, Yggdrasil collapses shortly after you reach it so you're really exploring the giant hole it leaves behind.