Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shin Megami Tensei IV Coming Soon to North America

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff

Shin Megami Tensei IV Coming Soon to North America

Even though the game has yet to release in Japan, Atlus is preparing SMTIV for a North American release. Demons, choices, and many battles will be seen on a 3DS near you soon.

Story
    Last edited by madhtr; 04-02-2013 at 03:41 AM.

Sweeeeeeet. Wonder if there'll be some preorder promotions.

Well, that settles it. I'll be buying a 3DS sooner rather than later.

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I figured they wouldn't announce it until after Soul Hacker's release. Yay!
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Three months for a SMT localization has to be some sort of record.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Not unexpected at all, aside perhaps from the speed (and the price.) Still, good news is good news, and I'll definitely be buying. Avenue of purchase is uncertain though, as I'm hoping to be moving this summer... Would totally buy that custom 3DSXL if they'd give it to us though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    Three months for a SMT localization has to be some sort of record.
    My guess is as the script is being inserted into the game it's being localized. It feels funny but it works for a much closer worldwide date.

The price is a huge turn off. I'm reading $50 at various places. I wonder if they have an eShop version if it will be a bit cheaper, since I know Atlus likes to pack in a bunch of stuff and this is being listed as a "Premium package". I'm already considering Soul Hackers' eShop version over physical.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    My guess is as the script is being inserted into the game it's being localized. It feels funny but it works for a much closer worldwide date.
    Likely the same thing that's happening with Pokemon X/Y. It's becoming a much more common practice, especially for franchises that are popular world-wide.

Also, this year just keeps getting better and better for the 3DS
    Last edited by omegabyte; 04-02-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

this is the 3DS's year in my opinion. So many great games coming out or even a few that have already been released. My only question about this is: is there a push coming from Nintendo to release Japanese games worldwide quicker? We see that at least with Pokemon, so I wonder if Nintendo could be asking the same thing of other Publishers/Developers? You have to admit that if more things like this happen, quick localization that is, that could be another thing that Nintendo tries to hold over Sony in the handheld market.

I do wonder at the $50 tag though. Personally I think the extra cost comes from basically developing the game in two languages near simultaneously. Would you pay $10 more for a 3DS game that spends only a couple months as a Japan-only release before hitting your market? I personally would like to complain but I don't really have a problem with it. Now, if every game ever jumped to the $50 mark for the 3DS I would be put off.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    This is some cool news, sounds like summer might actually offer a few decent games (for me) to play compared to the past few years. I agree with you too, lolwhoops, this has been the year of the 3DS so far. Etrian Odyssey 4 and Fire Emblem: Awakening are my two favorites so far this year, and we still have SMT4, Soul Hackers, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, Pokemon X/Y, and potentially others to look forward to as well.

The $50 dollar price doesn't concern me as much as you guys. Yeah, the principal of the matter is understandable. Personally though, as we've said in other topics before, people pay higher prices for worse console games with less content. As long as SMT4 appears to be worth the $50, and it does, I'll buy it. If not, then there's always the rental route.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenGod View Post
    The $50 dollar price doesn't concern me as much as you guys. Yeah, the principal of the matter is understandable. Personally though, as we've said in other topics before, people pay higher prices for worse console games with less content. As long as SMT4 appears to be worth the $50, and it does, I'll buy it. If not, then there's always the rental route.
    Just to clarify, I'm worried for two reasons. The primary is that I don't want this to become a precedent, but that also depends on what they mean by "Premium Package" and whether the eShop price is the same or not. The other reason for me is that I've never played any SMT games, and thus it is an unknown factor for me, but I know that Atlus games need to be bought as early as possible if you choose to go physical. I'm unsure whether I will like the game at all, which makes $50 a bit harder for me (especially when I almost never pay more than $20 for a game). On the other hand, I'm planning to try a few SMT games out between now and then, so maybe I will have a decision by the time this game comes along.

I had thought about preordering it but now I probably won't, since I think it's coming too soon for my wallet... This sure is some crazy year for the 3DS in the US/Canada and I'll probably not be able to buy most of them...

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    Just to clarify, I'm worried for two reasons. The primary is that I don't want this to become a precedent, but that also depends on what they mean by "Premium Package" and whether the eShop price is the same or not. The other reason for me is that I've never played any SMT games, and thus it is an unknown factor for me, but I know that Atlus games need to be bought as early as possible if you choose to go physical. I'm unsure whether I will like the game at all, which makes $50 a bit harder for me (especially when I almost never pay more than $20 for a game). On the other hand, I'm planning to try a few SMT games out between now and then, so maybe I will have a decision by the time this game comes along.
    Why don't you want this to become a precedent? The way I see it, if they can (successfully) sell 3DS games at a higher pricepoint, then they can spend more developing the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Why don't you want this to become a precedent? The way I see it, if they can (successfully) sell 3DS games at a higher pricepoint, then they can spend more developing the games.
    I remember the old days of paying $90 for NES/SNES games, and I'd rather not go back to that. While the idea of them spending more on development is an intriguing idea, I've seen the reports about the cost of game development on modern systems and I honestly think that maybe they spend too much on game development. I don't need amazing graphics or perfect voice acting. So I'm more interested in them dropping the price of games in general and spending less on each game's development. Personally, I'd rather see the used game market disappear than see higher prices, as I think that would benefit the developers more than raising the pricepoint. Further, as smartphone gaming becomes more and more prevalent, the prices are going to have to go down to remain competitive.

On the other hand, I'm still thinking that the price is more about whats packed in, rather than the game itself. I'm guessing it'll probably have quite a bit in addition to just the game and maybe a music sampler. The price of the eShop version will determine whether I'm right about that though.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    I remember the old days of paying $90 for NES/SNES games, and I'd rather not go back to that.
    OK, but no one is going to try and sell a 3DS game for $90, its $50.

We need to keep smartphones out of the conversation because most of what sells on Smartphones are bite sized experiences that don't compare to a lengthy SMT game for example, not to mention they have a far larger install base.

I'm also confused why a digital version should be cheaper -- let's not pretend the customer is eating the cost of the packaging and distro.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    I'm also confused why a digital version should be cheaper -- let's not pretend the customer is eating the cost of the packaging and distro.
    Why shouldn't a digital version be cheaper? There is virtually no incentive for me to buy digital in general if I can just get a physical copy of the game used, wait for it to go on sale, or wait for retailers to drop the price on new copies. Especially because games on the Nintendo eShop virtually never seem to reduce price or go on sale. Granted those arguments don't really count for much with Atlus games which usually sell through physical stock long before they ever reduce in price, but I'm speaking generally.

And while you dismiss it, I can't imagine that there is not a cost difference in the distribution pipeline for digital vs physical on their side. As a consumer, if I know that it costs the company less to provide it digitally, its only natural to think the company should pass those savings on to me as the consumer. Especially with Atlus games, if I get a physical copy, its more than just a case and game, there is often other goodies packed in as well, which I wouldn't get if I bought the game digitally, so why should I pay the same price?

That doesn't hold water. Atlus goodies are either in a version you elect to pay more for or first run / select retailers -- and you don't pay less at Gamestop if you don't get the 5-song sampler Amazon offers. Bear in mind I'm not knocking the choice to simply want it for less. If you don't want to pay 50$, then yeah, wait for a sale or get it used. In addition, it doesn't necessarily cost a company less to offer a game digitally. The process to get an eManual past certification can be pretty damn obnoxious and takes way more time (hours worked) than a printed one, just as one example. Moreover, it's not like companies throw that money into a pool a la Scrooge McDuck. Money "saved" on a digital release is usually put back into silly things like more people working on the game; the profit margin stays the same.

Interesting. I don't follow the business end too closely, games are for fun yo, but whenever I see people discussing the pros and cons of games going all digital in the future smaller manufacturing and distribution costs keeping prices down for the gamer at the end of the chain goes into pros. And it's a point I don't think I've ever seen challenged until now. Not to say you're wrong or anything, like I said I don't follow the money much and that eManual example makes a lot of sense to me. Just interesting.

On topic and related I really can't think of any other handheld game I'd be willing to throw down a fifty spot for but I will for this. So I guess they chose the right game to go for it with, at least in my case.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass