Thread: Square Pegs - Currents

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar

Square Pegs - Currents

A new month, a new issue of Currents. This week, Trent returns from PAX East, LucasArts shuts down internal development, Luigi spooks some sales out of Japan, and Darksiders could be returning to its maker.

CURRENTS!
    Last edited by InstaTrent; 04-04-2013 at 10:29 AM.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    i think there is some ground for comparison to Riccetello at EA and Wada SE in that neither company really seemed to be aware of criticism from the fanbase or any sense of self correction vis bad policies. at SE got someone who has made games in charge as opposed to yet another MBA-wielding suit whose whole career has been about jumping to better chairs at different boardrooms. The sheer number of people running EA with experience in the food industry is baffling.

I woulda titled the Square section "The World is no Longer Square". After the FF6 reference.

As for Wada. With an MBA and a banker he woulda been great if he had stayed in either CFO or COO positions as those positions really require some one who has business and finacial experience (note to you 38 Studio). Wada was more focused on pleaseing the fincial side that the game side went to crap. Granted with out having good games there can be no good fincials as people won't to buy your games but then when you do have a game that sells really well, like Tomb Raider and it's ~4M sales, it still isn't enough because of the debt behind making the game itself.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

I've felt for a long time that the vast majority of Japanese video game corporations (at least the big names anyway) are run very badly. Their performance this generation (a few bright spots notwithstanding) seemed to support that. This Squeenix debacle proved it for me. EIDOS' acquisition looks like a lucky move among a string of bad decisions. The current leadership has managed to squander and diminish their internal talent, goodwill from the fanbase and brand name integrity. Damage like that may take two leadership generations to heal or a spectacular success. Squeenix is in a corner, what will they do?

Perhaps a Final Fantasy?

-Sega_Fanboi
    "No matter how much they try to make me, I will never drink the water in THAT well."
    "The art of the online witty exchange looks too much like bullying. Despicable."
    "Sonic Adventure 2 is awesome."

I think a CEO and his staff needs to be well rounded and have interests in multiple areas. I spent 10 years in mall retail doing everything from washing dishes to ear piercing -- now I'm PR and a community manager, and those things don't seem to be related on the surface at all. In the same way they shouldn't NOT be a gamer, they shouldn't ONLY be a gamer.

I'm IT guy, Former Business Major, US Navy Vet (Multiple Jobs), and a Fast Food Cook(Chikc-fil-A). All these things have somethings in coming and others thigns that aren't
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    I'm an IT guy and a former Fast Food Employee (Taco Bell, we didn't exactly "cook"). I think the real lesson here is that the sheer number of people anywhere with experience in the food industry is baffling.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

Squeenix has been basically dead to me for some years now. Atlus now carries the JRPG world.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    You guys are all ridiculous because you aren't talking about that a capella video. BLEW. MY. MIND. That guy is amazing! I have actually tried what he is doing and it sounded like crap when I did it. Hahaha. The Castlevania one and the Mega Man X one will make you implode upon listening!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    You guys are all ridiculous because you aren't talking about that a capella video. BLEW. MY. MIND.
    Glad you enjoyed it, Zoltan. If I can, I like to throw in an entertaining video to break the ice. As I said in the column, I'd kill to have that dude as my best friend.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

Okay that is badass too

I think the main reasons for Square Enix's financial problems including frequent delays in releasing their products which drive up development costs, poor quality releases, and poor Project Management.

Some examples of games experiencing long delays were Final Fantasy XII which was released over five years after Final Fantasy X, and "Star Ocean - Till The End Of Time" which was almost two years behind schedule. Keep in mind that these delays dramatically increase development costs.

As for future Final Fantasy remakes, no Final Fantasy remakes for the Nintendo DS or 3DS were released since 2008, especially remakes of Final Fantasy 5 and 6.

The other problem was that some titles are no longer published directly, particularly Dragon Quest related titles in North America, meaning Square Enix loses much needed revenue to Nintendo of America.

In the case of quality, recent new Final Fantasy titles, particularly Final Fantasy 13, Final Fantasy 13-2, and Final Fantasy 14 were flops, especially their cumbersome and restrictive character growth systems.

If Square Enix wants to remain an RPG Superpower, their first step is to improve they game quality, make character growth simpler and less complicated, stick to the scope of the project to avoid costly delays, publish games directly instead of relying on a third party like Nintendo especially for Dragon Quest titles in North America, hire a CEO with a Computing Science or Gaming Development background, and manage their projects more effectively.
    Last edited by TheMoose; 04-07-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Actually technically Nintendo is not third party but first party since it's HEY THERE SYSTEM. Nintendo also does have to get them money from the revenue of the game since it is copyrighted to Square-Enix whether Square is the one releasing it or not. In fact no Square-Enix game is actually release by Square and are all generally published by other vendors. You should be thankful cause I doubt that if Square had kept the reigns we wouldn't have gotten EITHER DQ9 or DQ6.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
    I think the main reasons for Square Enix's financial problems including frequent delays in releasing their products which drive up development costs, poor quality releases, and poor Project Management.

Some examples of games experiencing long delays were Final Fantasy XII which was released over five years after Final Fantasy X, and "Star Ocean - Till The End Of Time" which was almost two years behind schedule. Keep in mind that these delays dramatically increase development costs.

As for future Final Fantasy remakes, no Final Fantasy remakes for the Nintendo DS or 3DS were released since 2008, especially remakes of Final Fantasy 5 and 6.

The other problem was that some titles are no longer published directly, particularly Dragon Quest related titles in North America, meaning Square Enix loses much needed revenue to Nintendo of America.

In the case of quality, recent new Final Fantasy titles, particularly Final Fantasy 13, Final Fantasy 13-2, and Final Fantasy 14 were flops, especially their cumbersome and restrictive character growth systems.

If Square Enix wants to remain an RPG Superpower, their first step is to improve they game quality, make character growth simpler and less complicated, stick to the scope of the project to avoid costly delays, publish games directly instead of relying on a third party like Nintendo especially for Dragon Quest titles in North America, hire a CEO with a Computing Science or Gaming Development background, and manage their projects more effectively.
    I like your post. Some things stick out to me. As I said before Squeenix's primo problem is that it is currently run very badly. Poor project management creates delays (or manages them poorly), drives up costs and hampers quality. In my mind bad leadership explains everything else. In the case of FF12, Squeenix overworked the first project lead, motivating him to quit. The game suffered. It was still good (I like the game very much) but every now and then I wonder what could of been. SO3 had problems (especially the bad kick in the balls the story gives you) and its follow on may have doomed the franchise (I hope not). Personally, I only care about a title's announcement to release date, not how long each release date is between sequels/iterations.

My favorite example is FF13. It was built on a proprietary engine for a console known to be a b*tch to develop for (PS3), THEN it was translated and localized AS IT WAS BEING MADE (really stupid), then it had to go multiplatform late in development and for the coup-de-grace its game design was based on a successful but shallow game (Call Of Duty). Any one of things could doom a project but to have all 4 at once? It it wasn't for the name in front of the number it would have been killed long ago. And Versus 13 is pretty much Duke Nukem Forever at this point.

As for FF remakes I thought every major FF title pre 7 was released for handhelds. Guess I was wrong. Personally, I think they should release Flying Fairy as Final Fantasy Zero and be done with it. A great goodwill gesture to the western fanbase.

Of the three titles you mentioned only 14 was the true flop (13-2 comes close sales wise). That game was almost unplayable. But 14 proves that there are good, talented and dedicated people. The development process for A Realm Reborn gives me hope for the company. FF14 will never be WOW but it could be a step in resorting faith in the brand name.

Honestly, I wasn't aware that Squeenix was an RPG superpower this console generation. That was Bioware (DragonAge/Mass Effect franchises, ME3-ending notwithstanding). FF13 was slammed (though somewhat successful), SO4 came and went, 13-2 proved that 13 is Squeenix's unlucky number. Their successes have been limited to handhelds, but they're shadowed there as well (by better established and better liked players).

Squeenix doesn't need good leadership. It needs GREAT leadership. Its products must succeed beyond every other video-game blockbuster this generation (and be unequivocally better than the big boys this generation). It's a tall order but that's the situation they're in.

-Sega_Fanboi
    "No matter how much they try to make me, I will never drink the water in THAT well."
    "The art of the online witty exchange looks too much like bullying. Despicable."
    "Sonic Adventure 2 is awesome."

Actually he was fully wrong. FF5 and FF6 were ported to the GBA. I own both copies

Not exactly; you're both misreading his point. FFV and FFVI were hinted by Matrix to have enhanced DS ports on the horizon, like FFIV, which is what he's referencing. However, to my knowledge these were never officially confirmed by SE. The closest we got was a Twitter conversation they would be "difficult to produce due to technical issues."

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    Actually technically Nintendo is not third party but first party since it's HEY THERE SYSTEM.
    When speaking relative to the console that would be true, however, speaking relative to a specific game or franchise owned by Sqeenix, Squeenix is the first party.

I just wish Sony and Microsoft would take a few pages out of Nintendo's book and stop acting like walled gardens.
    Oh, don't worry... They will... And then they will act like they invented the book they took the pages out of.