Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll - Sega Stuff

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

Poll - Sega Stuff

What long-absent Sega RPG franchise most needs to return?
    Dragon Force
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Phantasy Star - Offline
    Oasis
    Skies of Arcadia
    Shining Force
    Shenmue
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Dragon Force needs to, still haven't played anything like it to this day. Granted I never played 2, but the first game was one of my favorites growing up and offered plenty of replay value and that feeling of addiction trying to acquire and upgrade new commanders.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Shenmue 1 killed the Dreamcast.
    Shenmue 2 killed Sega as an independent company.

Ergo, every time someone votes for Shenmue, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens. (I went Skies of Arcadia, for what it's worth.)
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Skies of Arcadia. It was so good, that Vyse and Aika's had a playable cameo appearance in Valkyria Chronicles.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    I think it's gotta be Phantasy Star. The PSO-style games are all pretty much terrible, but at the same time I can see so much potential in the universe. They need to do a story-driven, single player Phantasy Star again.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Damn, they're all good! I can't pick just one.

Hopefully that Arcadia re-submission I spotted a while back turns into something.

I voted Shining Force. They were some of the most solid (if slightly simplistic) tactical RPGs ever.

Also, Panzer Dragoon Saga has a very good chance of being revived... in spirit. Creator Yukio Futatsugi and his new team Grounding Inc. developed Crimson Dragon. The Kinect title that has yet to be released (and the delay is making us suspect controller support is being added because no one likes Kinect) is basically Panzer Dragoon in everything but name. Futatsugi stated in an interview that he's very interested in creating a "Crimson Dragon RPG".

Im not sure why SHining Force is on the list as games are still being made in the series though many of the recent ones have not been coming over
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    Im not sure why SHining Force is on the list as games are still being made in the series though many of the recent ones have not been coming over
    Shining games are being made, but those games are NOT Shining Force. Yes, some have had tactical elements, but they are not Shining Force.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimeMan View Post
    This. If anything, we just need them localized, meaning somebody at Sega needs to start paying attention to the RPG needs of the west. Shining Blade would have been AMAZING to play...since it used the same battle system as Valkyria Chronicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    Shining games are being made, but those games are NOT Shining Force. Yes, some have had tactical elements, but they are not Shining Force.
    EDIT: Now that my mind has kicked in, yes, it would be nice seeing another Shining Force game on those lines. Resurrection of the Dark Dragon is a good direction on where they need to go...meaning remakes/ports.
    Last edited by DarkRPGMaster; 04-06-2013 at 08:12 AM.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I voted for Skies of Arcadia, as that hasn't even had to chance to be a series at all. Most of the other games that I have played on this list at least have a few entries per series.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

If I had to pick just one I'd go with Phantasy Star. But really I just want to say "Yes Please" for all of the above.

I don't know why so many people vote for Skies of Arcadia, that game wasn't exactly good and the mechanics made it REALLY slow and boring. It rather makes me want to NOT have a sequel. I mean the story was good and all, but when you think of sequel you usually would mean you want the same game mechanics again.

In that respect for me only Shining Force and Phantasy Star are relevant. And Shining Force still more than Phantasy Star.

There is no other game like Shining Force 1&2, namely:
    - it's an RPG outside of battles, you can run around, explore towns, visit shops, find hidden passanges, treasure chests and hidden members, so many secrets!!!
    - the SRPG controls are much more intuitive in than any other SRPG I've played so far, usually just to move a unit you need to press so many arrow keys and buttons that it feels really annoying, but in Shining Force you can just directly move the unit and the menu is just pressing one of the fair directional keys and confirm

Why I want a sequel to Phantasy Star Offline is mostly because:
    - the dungeon design was really amazing, you have to have a good memory to master them, no easy-mode minimaps or walk linear paths
    - instant escape spells and items allow you to keep your progress and be able to explore the dungeon further the next tries

There are other good things about PS like the awesome music and the setting, but I guess that doesn't have to do much to do with needing a sequel either, just like with the story.

Skies of Arcadia, hands down.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

I'm sorry but to me this is the impossible quiz. I agree with many of the previous posts with their single votes, but there REALLY needed to be a "multiple pick" option. Seriously, out of that list the only two games I would NOT want to see remade were Shenmue and Oasis. I'd sell my body (like anyone would want it) to get a new Shining Force or SOA game. Or better yet, get Sega to actually release the complete Shining Force III in the US! Dragon Force was amazing and one of the reasons I owned a Saturn. Sadly, I was unable to ever acquire a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga to play :-(. 2 of my friends have it and they hover over it like it was made of diamonds, which I may well be. Phantasy Star... ahhhhhhhh. I miss the heck out of those games. I remember being introduced to Phantasy Star II in middle to high school and played the living crap out of it. When III came out I happily spent the obnoxious $80 or so bucks for it and, while it was crappy compared to the others, I enjoyed the multiple endings. Still have one ending to go though after all these years... Then IV came out and once again blew me away. That the Genesis was even capable of PSIV amazes me to this day. And of course shout out to PS1 which I had the Master System converter on my Genesis to play. I know some may not remember Shining In The Darkness, but I loved that game as well. I remember mapping out the more difficult mazes and playing it day in and day out for months. I'd gladly pull it out and play it again if life wasn't so busy as an adult :-p. In a nutshell, there are too many games that I think we would ALL love to see a GOOD sequel too. Not just old Sega either. There were many amazing 8 and 16 bit rpgs that so desperately need a good remake or sequel. on Snes alone i'd love to see Breath of Fire, Earthbound, Brandish, Arcana, etc (not Drakken, that game was puke). This list could go insanely long if old PC games were included like the Gold Box AD&D and Buck Rogers games came into the equation. Ok, old man rambling done :-).

Skies of Arcadia - the world needs it!
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

ALL OF THEM. Then Sega can achieve Full Spectrum Dominance in the RPG space and take over the world from there.

But I'll take Phantasy Star Offline and Panzer Dragoon. But Crimson Dragon though, hmmm...

-Sega_Fanboi
    "No matter how much they try to make me, I will never drink the water in THAT well."
    "The art of the online witty exchange looks too much like bullying. Despicable."
    "Sonic Adventure 2 is awesome."

I would love to see a sequel for Dragon Force, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Phantasy Star, or Shining Force. Or even just get a release of Dragon Force 2 and Shining Force III parts 2 and 3 released in the US somehow. Skies of Arcadia is very good as well but not one of my favorites.

My favorite Sega RPG would be Shining the Holy Ark, would really like see another first person Shining game.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenGod View Post
    Dragon Force needs to, still haven't played anything like it to this day. Granted I never played 2, but the first game was one of my favorites growing up and offered plenty of replay value and that feeling of addiction trying to acquire and upgrade new commanders.
    The closest game to it really is Ogre Battle 64. It doesn't have the big battles between armies, but the movement and strategy are similar in a few ways.

Played Shining in the Darkness yet?

I'd also simply want Shining Force 3 and Shining The Holy Ark released in Europe on a system that I have, never could play those. I'd probably even get Generations (the one with updated graphics) if it was released here.

And of course another Shining first person dungeon crawler just like you said. :-)
    On the Legend of Grimrock forums there was a thread what everyone's favorite dungeon crawler was and then I posted Shining in the Darkness there and actually some people agreed with me! That made me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    I don't know why so many people vote for Skies of Arcadia, ...
    I'm with Rya. It doesn't need a sequel. Unlike Rya, I think it was a good game, but it hasn't aged well and therefore doesn't need a sequel.