Thread: RPGCast - Episode 261: "Always On"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 261: "Always On"

RPGCast - Episode 261: "Always On"

Microsoft tries out a new PR strategy. Armored Core gets the death metal mix it's always needed. Torchlight 2 shows its GUTS. Ew.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/261

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Always On"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Actual reactions later. For now, LYRICS!

08. Mechstall

Here I am as I sit in my mech
    with gears that have been ground to a halt.
    I look at my screen and pray.
    “Please move this damned machine!”

I can see a mech in the distance as I scramble for the user manual.
    Something is wrong. My gear will not respond. Even rebooting doesn’t solve the problem.
    Maybe I overused my laser cannon and I’ll be back online in a moment.
    If not, I’ll be dead soon. Cause that robot will be here soon.

The gauge indicates some fuel still remains but I can’t use it anyway.
    The battle before has me overheating more than my radiator can perform.
    Maybe I should’ve spent some more to better balance this armored core.
    Too late. I’ll be dead soon. Cause that robot will be here soon.

Solo: The Zoltan
    Solo: The Koshigoe

I can see a mech in the distance and a message that I’ve been locked onto.
    He seems to be warming up his laser blade to sink into the camera of this mobile frame.
    Maybe I should take down my schoolgirl poster so I can access the emergency thrusters.
    No way! I’ll be dead soon. Cause that robot will be here soon.

Here I am as I sit in my mech
    with gears that have been ground to a halt.
    My Battle Support AI says to me,
    “Thanks for everything.”
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I forgot that RPG Cast is Monaural! You guys missed HALF the song because everything played on the right guitar was missing! There were so many awesome harmonies you guys missed! *heavy sobbing*

You guys don't 100% your games and play on lower difficulties than I do. You are lesser gamers than I!

A lot of interesting talk, as usual. Thank you. After listening to that, I think I would buy a game aimed at women just to encourage the practice. Of course, it would have to be a good game.

Alright! A first time writer! I actually played the VERY FIRST Wizardry game. My mom had it on PC and it looked quite bad back then. Hahaha. You had to draw out a map by hand to get anywhere in that game. Yes, Anna. I believe the latest Wizardry game that came out on PSN was made by a Japanese team. When I first heard that, I totally freaked out.

Emauel is right. If she doesn't like games, do something else with her. I have observed that in general, women take interest in their lovers' hobbies FAR MORE than men take interest in their lovers'.

Whoa! Ragnarok Odyssey Ace is on PS3!? There haven't been any previous Ragnarok games released on PS3 have there? I am very interested.

Fun episode as usual. I'm just so BUMMED that you guys missed so many vital guitar parts in my song. I swear revenge!

I've redone the podcast in stereo, all fixed now. As I'm usually compressing down to 64kbps mono, we're really not gaining anything from .wav source files versus a high bitrate mp3 file and it makes it easier for me on the livestream.

EDIT: Chris Privitere fixed my song and reuploaded the podcast when he totally didn't have to. That is dedication to fans and it is greatly appreciated. I owe you one, Chris.

Oh, how nice of you. Thank you. OK. I'll send MP3s next time. I'll try to remember to pan everything to the center before exporting the audio from now on.
    Last edited by LegendaryZoltan; 04-07-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Gonna play Tony Reali for a second: The $50 for SMTIV will be the first time a 3DS game has gone that high if it holds up. Resident Evil Revelaitons was originally set to launch at $50, but was lowered to $40 because of "fan demand" (read: bad pre-order #s).

Also, despite the price tag, SMTIV was the #1 best selling video game on Amazon Canada for a while this week.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

I bet it'll stick at $50. People love them some Atlus games.

I know that people are upset about a 50-dollar Atlus game, but aren't those games well worth the 50 dollars? Their games are AAA or close enough to it and are more loved by their fans than many other AAA games of late, so doesn't that warrant the price?

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryZoltan View Post
    I know that people are upset about a 50-dollar Atlus game, but aren't those games well worth the 50 dollars? Their games are AAA or close enough to it and are more loved by their fans than many other AAA games of late, so doesn't that warrant the price?
    That's my mindset. SMT games are huge, and this is fine for a new release. It's not like Soul Hackers is $50. I also think the group of people complaining about the next SMT game being $50 now and the group of people who pre-ordered Strange Journey for <$50 a few years ago have close to no overlap, and thus their complaining is irrelevant.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

With regard to the $50 pricetag, for me it comes down to 2 points.

First, the precedent- this will be the first $50 3DS game. I'd rather not see it become a common thing. I'd buy fewer games than I already do if the games went up in price.

Second, the unknown factor - I'm only just starting to explore Atlus games. The SMT series is a significant unknown for me. And pricetag is a deterrent to jumping in here.

I'll wait and see.
    Last edited by smacd; 04-10-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Even if I'm not one any more, I'm a big fan of cheap *** gamers. They're the ones who keep prices in check. Ultimately, I think people should pay what THEY feel is a good price for a game. I'm not opposed to paying 50$ for a game, especially if it encourages more localizations of riskier titles. But I'm not judging anyone who feels otherwise.

*throws money at his screen* take my money!

Quote Originally Posted by 7thCircle View Post
    That's my mindset. SMT games are huge, and this is fine for a new release. It's not like Soul Hackers is $50. I also think the group of people complaining about the next SMT game being $50 now and the group of people who pre-ordered Strange Journey for <$50 a few years ago have close to no overlap, and thus their complaining is irrelevant.
    Personally I think Strange Journey is a pretty good indication that this game might not be worth $50.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Or that people are total jerks and won't leave him alone. His LinkedIn, BTW, is not gone. It's private. Just checked my connections and found him.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Or that people are total jerks and won't leave him alone. His LinkedIn, BTW, is not gone. It's private. Just checked my connections and found him.
    Interesting, that.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    Personally I think Strange Journey is a pretty good indication that this game might not be worth $50.
    That is a perfectly valid point, unfortunately.

I'm being optomistic/naive and figuring SMT 4 will be more like SMT 3, and the disappointment with Strange Journey as a main series SMT game was foreseen by Atlus and why they ended up changing it into a maybe-spinoff at the last minute.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.