Thread: Black Rock Shooter Heads West This Month

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Black Rock Shooter Heads West This Month

Black Rock Shooter is finally making its way westward onto Sony handhelds in North America and Europe. However, due to licensing issues it won't be heading to all of them.

[ Story ]

edit - Personal response - I'd guess the licensing issues are related to the anime rights in some way?
    Last edited by Severin Mira; 04-09-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    A shame that first trailer, which btw was the opening to the game, didn't have the opening theme song. I really hope they include that if they can, as it's pretty cool.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

What. The. Heck. Not coming to Canada? Digital only? No awesome-sauce White Rock Shooter figma? Not like I can buy the darned game because I'm in Canada, but still... I was really hoping for a deluxe limited edition with the figma. Oh NISA, how you've fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyFields View Post
    What. The. Heck. Not coming to Canada? Digital only? No awesome-sauce White Rock Shooter figma? Not like I can buy the darned game because I'm in Canada, but still... I was really hoping for a deluxe limited edition with the figma. Oh NISA, how you've fallen.
    According to the NISa forums, other than US:

Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Holland, Britain, Romania, and Bulgaria.

I guess it's licensing issues with the IP in various places that keeps it from getting released.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KittyFields View Post
    You shouldn't have trouble buying the digital copy with a US Sony account. There are so many Canadians like myself who reside in fake second houses in the 90210 zip code.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I'll have to look into setting up a US account. Can't be that hard, right? Out of curiosity, are there any other worthwhile games that are only in the US store?

I'm still disappointed about no LE boxed edition with the figma for the west, though. I really want that White Rock Shooter figma at a decent price. I have this whole robot/android figma collection going on. Guess I'll have to hunt for her second-hand now that I know we won't be getting her in North America.

I can't think of any other games that are in the USA, but not Canada. It's a pretty rare situation. (I have a USA account so I can use US point cards.)

I'm going to have to wait for reviews if this is going to involve moving temporarily to the Bob Barker Studio.

(CBS Television City, 7800 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA, 90036 - OK BOB!)

(I have watched way too many episodes of Price is Right.)
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

NISA does it again.
    I hope its a good game.

I have to wonder why we're getting this instead of Sol Trigger.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!

Usually, when a particular game is released in the United States, Canadians and Mexicans also get access to this title.

While I hate to be blunt and a little political, but this is not a first time that we Canadians have no access to particular games or consoles, or even being delayed. One good example was "Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals", which was released in Canada three weeks after it was released in the United States.

Canadians were also the last to get access to the more powerful PS Vita 3G version.

In light of NIS America or NISA excluding Canadians and Mexicans from a popular RPG like Black Rock Shooter, which is normally uncustomary in the North American market, I guess I won't be playing any of their other great games for the time being, especially Neptunia and Atalier series.

In the meantime, I encourage Canadian RPG fans to e-mail NIS America and tell them how you feel about us being left out.

As a Canadian gamer who likely would have bought this game all I can say is that I won't buy this game. It's pretty simple really. There's a lot of other games to buy for my 3DS so I'm not going to miss it. No hoops will I jump through.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
    I guess I won't be playing NIS America's famous RPG titles like the Neptunia or Atalier series for the time being.

Until further notice NIS America, I'll be playing my favourite Square-Enix, Koei-Tecmo, and Namco-Bandai RPGs.
    It's pretty silly to boycott the company because of something that's probably completely out of their control. It's a licensing issue, which probably means that someone else owns the rights to the Black Rock Shooter IP in the left out territories. Blame them, not NISA.

As far as the delays you mention go, a lot of the time those delays can be blamed on international shipping and customs problems, or of course the damn language laws this country has that cause so many problems.
    Last edited by omegabyte; 04-10-2013 at 08:05 PM.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Yeah, I don't blame small companies like NISA when there are shipping delays into Canada. And Robo is right, it may have been either too difficult or too expensive to get the anime rights in Canada. There's a reason that we have an anemic slection of Netflix movies, and it's not that Netflix hates us or doesn't want our money. It's the red tape you have to go through to get Canadian media licensing rights.

If you want to play the game, just make a US PlayStation Network account and be happy that Sony doesn't actively geoblock.