Thread: RPG Maker 3 Revived on PSN

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

RPG Maker 3 Revived on PSN

It's time to break out your RPG making skills, because one of the older RPG Maker titles is coming out of retirement and back into service. You can build vast 3D kingdoms of your own now, if you can stomach a few poorly-modeled dragons.

[Link]

We get this while games like Dark Cloud 2, Dragon Quest VIII, Shin Megami Tenesei: Digital Devil Saga/Nocturne, and Suikoden II/III/V aren't on PSN? Oh well.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpalicious View Post
    We get this while games like Dark Cloud 2, Dragon Quest VIII, Shin Megami Tenesei: Digital Devil Saga/Nocturne, and Suikoden II/III/V aren't on PSN? Oh well.
    The lack of Dark Clouds is odd given they're published by Sony and were quite popular, but you talk like the others are all published by one company or something. Whoever is behind RPG Maker 3 went through the trouble to get it on PSN, the others have not (or have have and other issues are involved), don't turn this into something its not.

GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    I had all 3 Playstation RPG Makers and 3 was easily the worst. None of them were all that good, but at least the first was the simplest to use (I created a full 15-20 hr. RPG with it) and the second, although complex and untranslated in some areas, gave you the ability to rebuild stuff like the combat algorithms and the UI. #2 had some great music too. #3 gave you the ability to create Disgaea-esque cutscenes, and you could create some nice looking world maps, but boy, every feature tore through your memory like wildfire (probably not an issue with the PS3). #3 also had the worst combat pacing (incrediby slow, like Septerra Core slow), and the dungeon tiles were nothing more than featureless ugly walls. Odd considering the village tiles were decent.

It's nice they can make something like RPG Maker, but I don't think the devs know how to make a good RPG in the first place. It's been a while though, so maybe they've improved since then.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 04-15-2013 at 11:51 AM.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    This interests me.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I will now proceed to create my masterpiece. Anticipate greatness, y'all.

The question is can we share them ?

Yeah, I'm pretty much only interested in this if the community could share and play their games. That could get both hilarious and interesting really quickly. I think that was my problem with all the rpgmaker games. I made a game but it wasn't really any fun to play my own game so I never stuck with it. Community sharing would transform this type of game though.
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

yeah I would buy this in a heart beat if I could play games people made

This is perplexing to me. Who is this for?

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

can anyone confirm if we can share the games ?

GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    I don't see how it's possible. You couldn't do it on the PS2. I doubt you can do it on the PS3..with PSN anyway. You can try this site if you want to put your games online, but I've never used it so no idea if any of it is valid.

Or you can just get the PC version of RPG Maker.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 04-17-2013 at 07:37 PM.