Thread: Staff Review - Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Nekobasu's Avatar

Staff Review - Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten

Once upon a time, some very silly people got trapped in a pit and there were serious consequences. They stood stern as towers, defending their roles. This is their story.

Defender's Quest Staff Review

I totally agree with this review. This is a great game! It has a decent story but doesn't take itself too seriously, which is supported by the art style. I had a ton of fun playing this through and went back to get some of the harder ranks on earlier missions. I think maybe my only complaint is that some of the achievements are impossible or nearly so. They may have changed this, but when I played the developers had a comment on one of the achievements that it might be impossible to do, because they hadn't been able to accomplish it.
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral

Quote Originally Posted by Glowing Hyren View Post
    I totally agree with this review. This is a great game! It has a decent story but doesn't take itself too seriously, which is supported by the art style. I had a ton of fun playing this through and went back to get some of the harder ranks on earlier missions. I think maybe my only complaint is that some of the achievements are impossible or nearly so. They may have changed this, but when I played the developers had a comment on one of the achievements that it might be impossible to do, because they hadn't been able to accomplish it.
    Thanks!

I remember the developer comment you're talking about, but I'm not able to find it on my copy now. The closest I can see is the Hero Mode++ Achievement: "Earn 180 gold stars without using any generic recruits. For your sanity, we recommend increasing XP gains to 300% in the options menu!" I haven't decided yet if I want to try to take down the super sheep on New Game+. It would be worth bragging about, but a key component of said bragging would be boosting my XP gains to 300% and bulking up. That's more about time than strategic decisions, like the game's core.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekobasu View Post
    Thanks!

I remember the developer comment you're talking about, but I'm not able to find it on my copy now. The closest I can see is the Hero Mode++ Achievement: "Earn 180 gold stars without using any generic recruits. For your sanity, we recommend increasing XP gains to 300% in the options menu!" I haven't decided yet if I want to try to take down the super sheep on New Game+. It would be worth bragging about, but a key component of said bragging would be boosting my XP gains to 300% and bulking up. That's more about time than strategic decisions, like the game's core.
    It sounds like they may have tested it and found it possible. Though it sounds like you'd have to do a huge amount of grinding to do it. I never went back for new game + and I think it's mostly due to a change in my gaming philosophy. There are two main points I've changed: 1) It's okay not to get/do everything. I can put down a game without doing all of the quests or getting all of the loot. 2) It's okay to play on easy. This is mostly to make it more plausible to finish. I'm playing Fire Emblem Awakening on hard, because it's just not as satisfying otherwise, but I've made a point of playing on easy on things like Etrian Odyssey where just playing the game is fun enough without a huge challenge. These in combination have already made some impact on my game completion rate and both directly apply here. If I'd felt that Defender's Quest was too grindy, I'd have turned up the exp gain, and I put the game down before ever doing new game+ or a good number of the 3 star challenges. It's a huge point in the game's favor that it allows for a sliding difficulty and has a ton of content if you want to go do it. I never could get that dang super sheep to die in my main game and that's okay. I think this game really helped adjust my philosophy.

Hey there!

Lars Doucet here, I'm the lead developer of Defender's Quest I can confirm that we definitely fixed that achievement - Hero Mode++ originally required you to get the max star count (ie, beat all extreme battles on normal & NG+ with no recruits). I think it's *theoretically* possible, but I only have one unsubstantiated account that it's even been done, so we dropped it to 180 as that seems less insane.

Honestly, I think that set of achievements (hero mode) might have been a mistake. "Hero Mode" started as a self-imposed challenge by some people on our forum when we were still in beta, and this was basically a nod to that. Next time, I would probably make it a discrete game mode you can enable, because as it is some people eager to get the achievement were afraid to recruit generics, which is definitely not recommended for a first-time playthrough.

Hyren:

Glad to hear this setup suits you That was definitely my intent - I have a huge backlog of games myself, as well as a touch of OCD, and I find it kind of annoying when I feel obligated to march through content just because it's there. One of our biggest guiding philosophies was to "never hold story hostage behind challenge" - you can get the best ending even on casual mode, with XP cranked to 300%.

Given this philosophy, I definitely agree with the reviewer's comments about Azra's journal - in retrospect, this totally should have been in the base game rather than a NG+ exclusive.
    Last edited by larsiusprime; 04-17-2013 at 06:45 AM.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Welcome Lars! It's always nice to see developers stop by.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

@Ocelot:

Thanks! I've been an on-and-off lurker around these parts over the years so I figured it was about time I actually signed up for an account.

Quote Originally Posted by larsiusprime View Post
    Hey there!

Given this philosophy, I definitely agree with the reviewer's comments about Azra's journal - in retrospect, this totally should have been in the base game rather than a NG+ exclusive.
    Hi Lars! Thanks for the vote of confidence! I've enjoyed reading the Steam thread about the sequel and getting a peek into the design process. As a longtime fan of player-towns/bases, I'm looking forward to seeing how that shakes out.

Yeah, I can't wait to announce some stuff about the sequel. Unfortunately the rest of the team is making me keep quiet about it until we lock a few more things down

Quote Originally Posted by larsiusprime View Post
    Hyren:

Glad to hear this setup suits you That was definitely my intent - I have a huge backlog of games myself, as well as a touch of OCD, and I find it kind of annoying when I feel obligated to march through content just because it's there. One of our biggest guiding philosophies was to "never hold story hostage behind challenge" - you can get the best ending even on casual mode, with XP cranked to 300%.

Wow, thanks for replying to my comment! I think that's the first time I've ever heard directly from a developer in regards to feedback. I'm definitely interested in hearing more about the sequel. Don't forget to send a press release to this site when you have something to announce! I get most of my rpg news here. Thanks for an excellent game and good luck with pt 2!

The forums oddly auto-moderated a couple posts in here but I've made them visible. On a related note, I should really go through and title people who work for companies Maybe give you guys and gals your own special group.

big fan of this game, picked it up during the Christmas sale on Steam and sunk ~15 hours into it

I need to go back and tackle New Game + sometime

I might check this out sooner after the review, it was pretty low on my radar.