Thread: Dead Island: Riptide Lurchingly Launches

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Dead Island: Riptide Lurchingly Launches

Do you like zombies? Dead Island: Riptide has an awful lot of zombies. This gory trailer made our News Director physically ill, but hey, whatever floats (or sinks, in this case) your boat.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

GM,DM,PC,NPC,1P,2P & TG TG Barighm's Avatar
    Doesn't actually show much, but at least it doesn't give the impression the game is a FPS like the other ones did to hook the CoD crowd. It is correct about the wider variety of weapons though. You do get a flaregun, nailgun, and a chainsaw early on.

Gunclaws and Meow. Administrator Paws's Avatar
    Everything I've read about this expansion is "lacks creativity, just more Dead Island" which I think is not going to endear it, even to fans of the game.

Actually, given what I've seen real fans say, that's exactly what they wanted. The minor improvements are subtle, but if you really know your stuff, they actually have a big impact on the gameplay. The new ability to crush zombies from greater heights has had a huge impact on my strategy so far.

Surprised mainstream game journos suddenly care about a lack of creativity and ambition.

Have you played the game? Do you even know what you're talking about? The game is sub-par because they did not address the technical and design flaws of the original, not because they didn't try to add something new to the existing formula. It's not like Deep Silver promised us the moon or anything.

Haven't played either, just think it's weird some publishers get away with more-of-the-same sequels and others don't. The original Dead Island occupied a vaguely-positive reception overall, yet the reception for this one is far more luke-warm (going off PC reviews here). Maybe they should have put in more references to Les Miserables?
    Last edited by Drav; 04-26-2013 at 04:02 PM.

I think that has more to do with a lot of people being disappointed by the trailer more than anything else. They're right to feel that way. They came in expecting something akin to The Walking Dead and got a Borderlands rip-off. Thankfully, the game was designed for multiplayer and plays a lot better with friends, so that held everyone's interest for a time. I came into the game because it was similar to Borderlands, so I never had to deal with that, and the fans I have talked to are mostly satisfied with the game. It really is the better game of the two.

And really, Deep Silver said this is more of a "1.5" release than a true sequel anyway, so I'm not sure why people are acting like they were misled. I wish they had polished the game more, but I fully expected a similar game.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 04-28-2013 at 01:53 AM.