Thread: Staff Review - Dragon Fantasy Book I

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar

Staff Review - Dragon Fantasy Book I

Dragon Fantasy Book I's PSN release sees it jump to the next generation of graphical power, albeit one that began a while back. Check inside for more details as our reviewer reports back on this updated throwback to the early Dragon Quest games.

[ Review ]
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Gunclaws and Meow. Administrator Paws's Avatar
    The 16-bit upgrade isn't available to other versions yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    The 16-bit upgrade isn't available to other versions yet.
    Oops, tenses fixed
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk

I hope it comes out in Europe soon. =3

Just might pick this up on my iPhone if the 16-bit graphics go out. $8 is steep for that platform though.
    The Role-Playing Jew - 'Tis me blog!

Played it, beat it, generally agree with the review on pretty much all points. It's kind of a pity about Anders's and Jerald's chapters; they're lots of fun and are very refreshing after Ogden's extreme throwback to older game design, but they end just when they feel like they're getting started. That said, there's a certain something about the game's overall interface that just feels... I dunno, kind of slapdash? Especially the opening menus and the subscreen. They don't feel as solid as they should, or indeed as solid as I remember things like Dragon Warrior being. I don't know whether it's that they might render too quickly or too slowly, or that canceling certain things is completely impossible (like previously-entered character turns in combat), or that it's all self-contained in one subscreen rather than a single menu that brings up other menus, or that the font in item lists feels to big and selecting them feels weird, or that item number widths are inconsistent so they don't line up properly in menus, or... I don't know, it's really, really hard to put my finger on. A lot of really little details that collectively make it feel strange.

Actually, on that topic, Paws (or anyone else from Muteki reading this), would you like some input on Dragon Fantasy's menu organization? Both books, for that matter. I kind of... specialize in interfaces and aesthetics for older games. I ought to be able to offer input on ways to help your games look simultaneously more authentically oldschool and more professional.
    Last edited by Gideon Zhi; 04-30-2013 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Zhi View Post
    Played it, beat it, generally agree with the review on pretty much all points. It's kind of a pity about Anders's and Jerald's chapters; they're lots of fun and are very refreshing after Ogden's extreme throwback to older game design, but they end just when they feel like they're getting started. That said, there's a certain something about the game's overall interface that just feels... I dunno, kind of slapdash? Especially the opening menus and the subscreen. They don't feel as solid as they should, or indeed as solid as I remember things like Dragon Warrior being. I don't know whether it's that they might render too quickly or too slowly, or that canceling certain things is completely impossible (like previously-entered character turns in combat), or that it's all self-contained in one subscreen rather than a single menu that brings up other menus, or that the font in item lists feels to big and selecting them feels weird, or that item number widths are inconsistent so they don't line up properly in menus, or... I don't know, it's really, really hard to put my finger on. A lot of really little details that collectively make it feel strange.

Actually, on that topic, Paws (or anyone else from Muteki reading this), would you like some input on Dragon Fantasy's menu organization? Both books, for that matter. I kind of... specialize in interfaces and aesthetics for older games. I ought to be able to offer input on ways to help your games look simultaneously more authentically oldschool and more professional.
    I think the biggest reason for this is that they pulled almost all of the interface from the iOS version and adapted it to Vita/PS3. They fixed things up, but the overall interface between the original and this are not drastically changed, merely conformed to buttons as best as possible without starting over. Or at least that's how it seems.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Bearing in mind between Adam and Bryan (let alone the other guys) you're looking at around 30 combined years of video game development and that if a menu is a certain way, they want it to be, you can always email them suggestions. Book I's PSN launch has a largely back-ported menu from Book II.

sigh....still waiting on a patch to fix the chapter 3 bug. I didn't enjoy the game much. The ridiculous hit rate in chapter 1 was just frustrating to no end. I would go 2 or 3 hits missing the enemy. After i get the trophy for finishing chapter 3, i think i'm done with it.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumoau View Post
    sigh....still waiting on a patch to fix the chapter 3 bug. I didn't enjoy the game much. The ridiculous hit rate in chapter 1 was just frustrating to no end. I would go 2 or 3 hits missing the enemy. After i get the trophy for finishing chapter 3, i think i'm done with it.
    I'd actually recommend you skip waiting on Chapter 3's patch and try Intermission-M. It's short, sweet, and unique. I really like it best, I think.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Assuming you have it at the same point I did (when you go to the inn as a story event), you are about three/four minutes from the end. There is a workaround that I used there, where if you redownload the game but don't install the first patch you can get past that particular freezing point (and then install the patch at any point then on should you wish), but I'm not sure it's 100% successful.

Thus far it's about 50/50 for those we've recommended it to. It's a possible work around (and I'm actually not sure why it works.)