Thread: Combat - Indie Corner

Combat - Indie Corner

Welcome to the first issue of Indie Corner, a column where we let the indie developers talk for themselves. The focus of our debut issue is combat and how to make a fun battle system.

First Column
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    Welcome to the first issue of Indie Corner, a column where we let the indie developers talk for themselves.
    Great concept and addition to our line up. I love it.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Yay Indie Corner!

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Nekobasu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AckkStudios View Post
    In a lot of RPGs I find myself only ever needing Attack, Fire 2, and Heal.
    Ayup.

I look forward to a new crop of thoughtful combat systems. It sounds like everyone interviewed is putting together challenges that I won't be able to play while I watch TV or read articles. This is a good thing.

In a lot of RPGs I find myself only ever needing Attack, Fire 2, and Heal.
    One of the things that drives me nuts about D&D fans. They like to complain my 33 rules doesn't have nearly as many spells, but come on! Everyone always settles on a small handfull of spells. PnP or video games, it always boils down the same way.

I like what they did in Crimson Alliance, and I think Diablo 3 sort of does the same thing, where pieces of equipment include bonus levels to spells and abilities that can alter how the ability works (something I incorporated). Instead of having a vast array of spells you don't really use, you have one spell that can be altered in many ways, plus those ability levels are way more meaningful than +5 Strength and Stamina.