Thread: Project X Zone Introduces the Capcom Cast

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Project X Zone Introduces the Capcom Cast

Even if you ignore the other two companies involved, this is a game that lets Dante, Mega Man X, and Frank West team up to incinerate the Nemesis from Resident Evil. Crossovers are always fun and crazy.

[Link]

Game looks great. Only minor complaint is the version of Megaman choosen. X series is my least favorite. I would have loved to see Mega Man Volnutt from the Legend series get some love every now and then. lol
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

I do love Mega man, especially the X incarnation. Probably the best of the Capcom characters shown there. I wonder what the full cast list is.

I swear though, none of the trailers for this game I've seen make this look like an RPG in any way. Every impression I have is that this looks like a standard 2D fighter, which really doesn't sell it to me. I'm also hoping they replace the Japanese voices when it comes here.

I actually heard there would be no voices at all, not even Japanese ones. I would be happier they have the Japanese voices than none, but I can completely understand not wanting to voice the large and diverse cast of this game considering its niche appeal outside of Japan.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    The lack of Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth disturbs me, though I understand why they are probably not in the game.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I guess the Japanese voices would be better than none. I give you that.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    I do love Mega man, especially the X incarnation. Probably the best of the Capcom characters shown there. I wonder what the full cast list is.

I swear though, none of the trailers for this game I've seen make this look like an RPG in any way. Every impression I have is that this looks like a standard 2D fighter, which really doesn't sell it to me. I'm also hoping they replace the Japanese voices when it comes here.
    The game continually describes itself as a "tactical RPG," but yeah. I think its official relationship status with the RPG genre is, "It's complicated."

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Project X Zone is certainly an RPG, they just never, ever show that in trailers. It's kinda like how you would have a hard time understanding that Fire Emblem is an RPG if you only ever saw battle scenes and never saw the grid movement, command input, or status screens. It is a tactical RPG of the same type as Fire Emblem or Super Robot Wars, where battle animations take place in a "zoomed in" perspective in a different style than the tactical positioning. Attacks are more interactive than in those other games, but it is fundamentally no different than them.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    The tactical side is a lot like the Super Robot Wars games. The battle side is most like the Endless Frontier games. The marketing is DEFINITELY like that done for Super Robot Wars, since it's mainly there to showcase all the characters instead of showing how the game actually plays.
    Last edited by GaijinMonogatari; 05-10-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    It looks like fun as hell. Stupid handhelds get all the good game ideas!

My thoughts exactly. >_<

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Might as well repost the review for anyone who didn't read it last October.

Useful excerpt:

Just from the screenshots, one might assume that PXZ's gameplay is the lovechild of Super Robot Wars and a beat 'em up fighting title, and that's not too far from the truth. Certainly, the game's progression plays out like an SRW tactical game, fought upon large maps in a linear series of chapters. Whenever an allied unit engages with the enemy, however, the game cuts away to a side-view battle screen. Different combinations of the A button and directional pad trigger different attacks, with the number of actions available increasing over time. There is a limit to the number of attacks the characters can make in one encounter, which is tied to the total number of sets of attacks that unit has. So, if a character pair has four sets available, then they can hit at least four times. The player can opt to simply do the same thing four times straight or use every possible set just once, but gain a fifth attack chance as a bonus. Different combos send the enemy flying in different directions and some are better suited for chaining than others, so it's up to the player to learn the best patterns to ensure the enemy stays up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    I swear though, none of the trailers for this game I've seen make this look like an RPG in any way. Every impression I have is that this looks like a standard 2D fighter, which really doesn't sell it to me.
    Well they kind of show off the tactical side at 0:18, but blink and you'll miss it. (Get ready with that pause button!)

Quote Originally Posted by lolwhoops View Post
    I actually heard there would be no voices at all, not even Japanese ones.
    That speculation was based off the last trailer which had no voices, while this trailer has the voices back.
    So I guess the new speculation should be: Japanese voices with the option to turn the voices off.