Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster - 12 Screens - 3 Art

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster - 12 Screens - 3 Art

The fantasy RPG world's answer to the Spice Girls is back, and they're looking super-shiny in high definition. Get ready to rock Spira's troubles away once more in this remake of Final Fantasy X-2.

For those who are catching up, the International content has been confirmed for both X and X-2 in North America. No, they're not re-doing Tidus' voice acting. Sorry!

<12 X-2 HD Screens>
    <Yuna, Rikku, and Paine Art>

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

God, the screenshots look great. I wasn't expecting the HD remasters to look this great. Square actually put effort into it instead of just upscaling and slapping trophies on it like other 'HD' collections i've seen.

I just hope i have the patience to deal with those annoyingly boring glyph dungeons again. Easily the worst part of the game from what i remember.
    Last edited by Ryumoau; 05-09-2013 at 11:26 AM.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

Okay, I'd buy that. X is one of my favorite FFs, so why not take a shinier walk down memory lane?
    When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
    - Mark Twain

I guess I'd have to see side-by-sides. I'm not really seeing a difference just looking at the HD screenshots to what I remember it looking like.

If the two games were sold together and were on both PS3 and Vita, I could see me getting them even if not playing them for a while. X is one of my favourites and though X-2 was really different, I enjoyed the fast paced battles and the job system. Plus Rikku is still one of my favourite characters, so I liked her having a bigger role in it.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Lol, the Spice Girls. Sorry for being negative but I hate this ****ing game. Instead of using their magnanimous quantity of money in GOOD games, they will remake the worst FF in history. Shame on you Square-Enix. But oh, well...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksy View Post
    Instead of using their magnanimous quantity of money in GOOD games, they will remake the worst FF in history
    Wait, when did they announce the FF7 remake?

I kid, I kid. Though it is hard for me to find an FF game I detest more than 7, and I've played almost all of them.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksy View Post
    Lol, the Spice Girls. Sorry for being negative but I hate this ****ing game. Instead of using their magnanimous quantity of money in GOOD games, they will remake the worst FF in history. Shame on you Square-Enix. But oh, well...
    I liked X-2 more than X. #unpopulargamingopinions

Also, Square Enix is bleeding money like a sieve right now.

As for side-by-side comparisons, let's see:

04.jpg
    Funny how nostalgia makes things look better in our minds than they actually did.
    Last edited by Ocelot; 05-09-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Yeah, ok I can definitely see it now. You're right about it looking better than it actually was, in memory. And I only played X-2 last summer for the first time. Thanks for posting the side by side.
    Last edited by smacd; 05-09-2013 at 02:52 PM.

I hope that this wow effect not only applies to the character models, but that the backgrounds and overall visual design gets the same treatment from Square Enix.
    "There is no growth without birth. Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk towards the future. Get thee gone, Darkness!!" - Ashley Riot.

I would have liked FFX-2 more if there were more playable characters, namely some non-annoying male characters. I absolutely hated Paine and Rikku!

Incidentally, FFX-2 is where Final Fantasy officially 'Jumped the Shark' for me.

Im guessing that the Final Fantasy X-2 Last Mission "expansion# wich previously was Japan only, gets released with this HD Version. Wich fixes your complaints for the duration of the hours long dungeon crawling.
    "There is no growth without birth. Without a foothold in the past, we cannot walk towards the future. Get thee gone, Darkness!!" - Ashley Riot.

Did they upgrade the actual assets somehow, or just use the same polishing techniques as emulation? (Here's what that looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dVHWnAC49c) They look comparable to me, although the lighting is very different. Are the FMVs being redone in any way?

Replaying my game collection on this way, even without rebuying them, it's stunning how much better the in-game graphics look when tripling the resolution and adding anti-aliasing. Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria is especially jaw-dropping. It looks as good as the preview pictures for the game did... it's still one of the most detailed and gorgeous games ever, even today! Unfortunately my PC isn't up to running it smoothly.

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    This game presents a problem. FFX is one of my favorite FFs, and normally, a remake of it would be a purchase by default. And it does look really good.

But FFX-2 is easily my most disliked FF. I'm seriously considering boycotting the remake entirely just because I would hate for my purchase to be misconstrued as partial endorsement of X-2.

The real killer here, is that I'm probably going to buy this anyway, and even play FFX-2 again, just to see if they fixed it.

Well, maybe we'll get a Japanese language option, this time around. ....please?

Quote Originally Posted by ironmage View Post
    Yes! That would dramatically increase my interest as well. All games need this option.

They had me at International.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmage View Post
    Since they would have to also repay the Japanese VAs for the US release (which would sell far more than the JP version), they most likely will not in order to actually avoid going broke on this.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I am actually one of those weird people who really loves FFX-2. The battle system is great, the game is goofy but paced really well, and I like the music. But then again FFX is probably my favorite of the series. Loving pretty much everything I'm seeing about these remakes.
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by retrodragon View Post
    I am actually one of those weird people who really loves FFX-2. The battle system is great, the game is goofy but paced really well, and I like the music. But then again FFX is probably my favorite of the series. Loving pretty much everything I'm seeing about these remakes.
    I really enjoyed X-2 as well, I don't see anything weird about it ^^ Some people just don't like the themes and design choices they made in the game, but if you DO like those this game is pure gold. I love j+kpop and generally appreciate it when a game doesn't take itself deathly seriously, so I really enjoyed X-2 and look forward to playing it in this wondrous HD.

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    My problems with FFX-2 are less about style, and more about execution. (I'm fine with J-pop, and have no problem with light-hearted storylines).

To be clear, I don't begrudge anyone who likes FFX-2. If you enjoyed it, I am bewildered, yet slightly envious.

Rant follows.

The entire production felt like a bad fan game, and it was apparent that S/E didn't put the resources into it that an FF game deserves. There were two classes of dungeons: most areas were copied directly from FFX, and the few new areas were generally of markedly poorer quality. The battle system was a mess, and actually locked up my PS2 on one or two occasions. Being limited to three characters was a major step back from FFX (especially since swapping characters on the fly was one of FFX's strong points).

I don't remember the story at all, just that it was largely a sequence of disconnected episodes.

Lulu was supposedly pregnant, but there wasn't even a minor tweaking of her character model to reflect this. I mean, seriously, was there nothing in the budget for a few extra polygons? And pregnant by Wakka? That doesn't fit with the characterization from FFX. That segment was entirely spurious.

One of my personal trigger points is reworking a female character to "broaden her appeal". I wasn't happy with the change Shion underwent from Xenosaga I to II, but it wasn't entirely outside the range of possibility (so, she switched to civilian clothes, lost some of her geekiness, and didn't really need glasses anyway...) I suppose Rikku's changes from X to X-2 were within the scope of her character. But Yuna's transformation was pure fanservice. Certainly surviving the end of FFX would brighten her mood (by a lot), and we would expect her personality to shift a bit. But her new design was ridiculous, and worse, completely out of character with the original. White mage to gunner isn't a natural transition. White magic is almost purely defensive (undead notwithstanding), and guns are almost purely offensive (you can't block a sword with a bullet). If you're going to change a character to that extent, you really need to do a better job of justifying it.

Okay, I guess my problems with the game are about its style, too.