Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legend of Legaia - Staff Retroview

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

Legend of Legaia - Staff Retroview

When thinking about anything from 14 years ago, the sage advice of Prince comes to mind. Say two thousand zero zero, party over oops out of time, so tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999.
    There is a disco in the game - totally appropriate.
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Ironically, I had gotten this game in the mail the other day from Amazon, only to find out they sent me the demo instead of the full game. I'm actually sending the game back to them today with hopes that I can get a trade for the actual game. Because I rather enjoy this one, if only for the battle system.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I think Jumes and I will never be on the same page in game tastes. I'd probably give this a 2.0! XD

This is one of the 4 physical disc PS1 titles I still haven't finished from my backlog. I should bump it up the list and polish it off.

(Tronne Bonne, Megaman Legends 2, and Lunar 2 are the other 3.)

Quote Originally Posted by kazriko View Post
    This is one of the 4 physical disc PS1 titles I still haven't finished from my backlog. I should bump it up the list and polish it off.

Legend of Legaia is a good play, but bump up Lunar 2; it's even better.

I remember having a fun time with this game and that I did consult a FAQ on a few battles. I didn't remember much of the plot. Anyway I would probably be more annoyed with the load times if I went back to the game now, but for the late 90's it was definitely the norm. I liked it more than the sequel which felt less interesting in every way except the graphics were better.

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    I really like Legend of Legaia. It is unique, quirky, and fun. It really shows the signs of the limitations of PS1 3D, but at the time I was amazed by simple things like characters who actually changed their looks based on what they were equipped with (even if it was only in battle). I still think the entire premise of the Seru and the Ra-Seru characters was pretty great. It's a shame the sequel didn't bring those things back.

New Member Member Endless Despair's Avatar
    I had a lot of fun with legend of Legaia. Hard battles, Flashy combos, and a story that didn't want to end. Granted the game did have its flaws, but for one my first 3D JRPG's, it rocked.
    Objection! That's so fun to say.

Legaia is one of those, play through once and never play again type games for me. I'd rate it a 2.5 and that's generous considering the graphics were bad even for the time.

It was a pretty solid RPG. I think the 3.5 score is fair.

@watcher
    Sure it's a never play again type of RPG, but the fact you actually played it to the end already warrants a 3.5 (unless you were a reviewer and thus forced to finish it).

I remember almost finishing the import for this game.
    I did finish the US release, later. I liked it.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    I remember really enjoying this game. Looking at the screenshots it certainly has not aged well lol. But as stated before there were a lot of uniques aspects to this game that were very enjoyable.

@Rya, it was a rather short game that came out when I had a ton of free time. Finishing it just kind of happened.

Quote Originally Posted by kazriko View Post

It's very short so you may finish it in 2 or 3 days.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    I think Jumes and I will never be on the same page in game tastes. I'd probably give this a 2.0! XD
    I gotta agree with Paws here. I don't mind a challenge, but Legaia was just way too much. I don't know if the enemies scaled or not, but it was a pain even back then. I seriously got to Level 99 and still barely eeked out a victory against the final boss.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

No way, MC. Are you sure you're thinking the right game? The final boss was beatable in the mid 40s level wise.

I loved the mini games late in the game
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    No way, MC. Are you sure you're thinking the right game? The final boss was beatable in the mid 40s level wise.
    I must have done something mad terrible then, because OH LORD that game was difficult.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

The problem with this game is the same as Xenogears, there is no strategic value in having the different attacks or super moves as they are all just a big gimmick (other than birds need to be struck high and creatures on the ground need to be struck low). While a cool concept originally...once you realize it isn't an actual legitimate gameplay mechanic it's hard to appreciate it. Though Xenogears had a top notch story to aid with its tedious battle system, while Legaia...not so much.

The beginning of the game was kinda cool though, the rest..not so much.
    Last edited by hyperknees91; 05-20-2013 at 06:15 AM.

I think this "gimmick" is what makes both Xenogears and Legend of Legaia great. There doesn't need to be any strategical value, you can do cool and flashy moves and you can decide yourself which one you want to see and don't have to regard monster properties. I like it.