Thread: XSEED Infuses E3 with RPGs

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

XSEED Infuses E3 with RPGs

Action RPG fans should find this year's XSEED E3 lineup Ysy to like. Get ready to explore dungeons, stab monsters with your friends, and do a spot of farming on the side.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I'd like to try R.O. Ace and Ys.
    Last edited by Macstorm; 05-28-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Removed apostrophe from Ys. :)

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I'm a bit distressed that Valhalla Knights is back. Who keeps buying these?
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    Odin? I'm going to say Odin.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Don't knock it till you've tried it. It's honestly not a bad game at all, and I love the atmosphere -- it's so gritty, there's actually a dirt slider when you create a new character, allowing you to make your character look as grungy and filthy as you feel is appropriate.

-Tom

Heh, fair enough, Wyrwad. Jokes about the series and a certain person who reviewed one of them got old a long time ago, so I didn't think I should bring that up.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    I whined on IRC so epically while playing the review copy of Valhalla Knights 2, then slammed it so hard in the review, that even staff members who were hired years later have heard about it from others.

The game has become a go-to example of the lowest low for an RPG in colloquial expressions on staff. Like how New Vegas always comes up whenever we talk about a buggy game. Or people using Gigli as an example of the worst movie ever when new bad movies come out. Or NFL fans mocking the Lions. Sure, the Lions get another chance this year, but they were so awful in 2008 that it still gets joked about. Just like Valhalla Knights.

I'm looking forward to Rune Factory 4, though
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

They got me at:
    to the Playstation 3
    Woohoo.

What's crazy is that I still remember a particular joke made about 7thCircle and Valhalla Knights in a news thread from years ago...and I managed to find it:

Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    The knights from Valhalla are returning to North America again this year, but will be arriving on a new ship. This time they are sailing in on the Wii...

...and they are heading to 7thCircle's place.

What's crazy is that I still remember a particular joke made about 7thCircle and Valhalla Knights in a news thread from years ago...and I managed to find it:
    And I couldn't even get him to review it. I'm just happy that K2 is no more (the original dev) and this one has a new team behind it. Not always a guarantee of quality (as this new dev might have made Eldar Saga), but it's at least not K2.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Rune Factory 4 is definitely my highlight of these announcements. I'm happy to see that RF is joining Harvest Moon in giving you a protagonist gender choice that doesn't involve creepy body-sharing. Hopefully the male characters will be better-designed than the ones in Oceans, too. RF has always had a great diversity of interesting female characters, but the lads have lagged behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Rune Factory 4 is definitely my highlight of these announcements. I'm happy to see that RF is joining Harvest Moon in giving you a protagonist gender choice that doesn't involve creepy body-sharing. Hopefully the male characters will be better-designed than the ones in Oceans, too. RF has always had a great diversity of interesting female characters, but the lads have lagged behind.
    Oh, you DEFINITELY won't be disappointed. The bachelors in RF4 are fantastic. Most people here seem to think they're even better than the bachelorettes -- though I disagree, because no one could be better than my lovely Xiao Pai.

-Tom

I may have to marry Unicorn Boy, because... Unicorn Boy.

Does Rune Factory 4 seem like a good place to start playing these games? I'm kinda interested, but not really sure.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

You can always give Rune Factory 3 a try. Best game in the series, and looks pretty nice for a DS game.

Nice to hear that RF4 has good bachelors. My friend was already excited for the game and now I'm more interested in it than before.

Quote Originally Posted by lolwhoops View Post
    Does Rune Factory 4 seem like a good place to start playing these games? I'm kinda interested, but not really sure.
    RF4 is a perfectly fine place to start, yeah. It does relate back to the previous games, but more in a cameo fashion than anything else -- the story it tells is very much self-contained.

Also, if you thought RF3 was the best game in the series, prepare yourselves for awesomeness.

-Tom

Is it the same kind of awesomeness, where everyone in town is bat-crap insane? 'Cause I'm down with that, though I'm also good with a game in which they're just plain interesting characters.

RAINBOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    And I couldn't even get him to review it. I'm just happy that K2 is no more (the original dev) and this one has a new team behind it. Not always a guarantee of quality (as this new dev might have made Eldar Saga), but it's at least not K2.
    I consider my self an RPG collector and I don't even own any of the Valhalla Knight games
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D