Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Symphonia Returns in HD

Symphonia Returns in HD

*****OFFICIAL RPGAMER NEWS STORY BLURB*****

One of the most beloved Tales titles is making a return to consoles in an HD remake. Its not-so-beloved sequel is tagging along, nipping at its heels like a tiny dog who believes in the power of courage.

Note: Please let us know if the second video in this story becomes unavailable. It's not from an official source.

As this game was announced over the weekend, we've moved the original discussion thread about it here. Anybody using this thread to complain about non-localized Tales titles will be tasered.

*****END OFFICIAL RPGAMER NEWS STORY BLURB*****

Hideo Baba has announced that an HD remake of Tales of Symphonia and Dawn of the New World will be early 2014 in Europe, Australasia and the Americas!

Link to announcement video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgMBLBLzJXo
    Last edited by Ocelot; 06-03-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Moved to Latest Updates, added story blurb.
    What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul.

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Well, this is exciting! No Wii U version, though? With both games being released on Nintendo consoles, the HD version being on the latest one as well seems appropriate. Perhaps later? Though considering the state of the system, I shouldn't be too surprised...
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

This is great! Symphonic is my favorite Tales game! I'm super stoked that were getting this.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    That's so awesome! I'll definitely be picking this up.

It'll be interesting to see how Dawn of the New World works, since it was designed for the Wii remote originally. IIRC there were a few parts of the gameplay that required the pointer. I guess they could map it to the right analog stick? As long as it doesn't require me to get a PS Move, I'm good.
    Last edited by omegabyte; 06-01-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    HELL YES! I have been waiting for this for a while. Had I known this was coming, I wouldn't have bought the Gamecube version of Symphonia earlier this year (I'm lying, I still would have).
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I'm hoping that this leads to Tales of Xillia 2 also. Heres hoping Xillia and this collection sell well.
    What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul.

Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    That's so awesome! I'll definitely be picking this up.

It'll be interesting to see how Dawn of the New World works, since it was designed for the Wii remote originally. IIRC there were a few parts of the gameplay that required the pointer. I guess they could map it to the right analog stick? As long as it doesn't require me to get a PS Move, I'm good.
    The Sorcerer's Ring and the world map used the pointer. There were also a minigame or two that used motion controls (fishing in Triet before it thaws out, for instance). I doubt those are motions that can't be reworked onto an analog stick.

Well, I just picked up a copy of Dawn of the New World a few months ago... I'll probably pass on this collection but it's sure to be great for people who haven't yet picked up Symphonia and/or the sequel.

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    Urk. Symphonia is a relatively recent addition to my backlog, and I just bought Dawn of the New World last month. Well, at least they were fairly cheap.

But, buying this collection is clearly Mandatory, so I guess my playthrough of Symphonia is now firmly scheduled for early 2014.

Anyway, yaaaay!

Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    It's kinda funny, but from a visual standpoint, Symphonia is the last-gen Tales game that holds up the best. An HD remaster is going to look amazing.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Welp, guess I won't import Symphonia PS2 anymore and just wait for this instead. I wonder if the HD version will rework Symphonia's overlimit mechanics closer to something like Abyss. I always hated how it worked in the original.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    If we're lucky, they will Quin. And I have to agree, Symphonia's version of how it works sucks.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Haven't played any of them. I've heard polarizing opinions on Symphonia and mostly negative opinions on the sequel. Can't wait to try them out for myself.

The original was really good, had one of the best gameplay styles of all Tales of... games due to the main character being fast-paced and dual-wielding swords. The story was pretty good too. The sequel was quite a bit worse due to the monster catching aspect and the story wasn't so interesting either, but the gameplay was still better than in most Tales of... games (I'm looking at you Vesperia).

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    If we're lucky, they will Quin. And I have to agree, Symphonia's version of how it works sucks.
    For the longest time, I've wanted to try doing this, but Symphonia's overlimit mechanics really make the timing difficult.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

My....GOD... I am beyond excited for this!!! AND Xillia? Tales is getting some love again!

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Darn weekend announcements. I'll get the news post up on this ASAP.

Edit: News post up, thread moved. Apologies for editing your post, Typhaon, but there's no way for me to get our official post to appear at the top of a moved thread.
    Last edited by Ocelot; 06-03-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

This was my first Tales, and one of the few games I ever borrowed and never owned myself. I will definitely have to grab this and whatever system it is on if I don't own it already. None of the other Tales I've played have lived up to this one, as it was the only game with a twist I didn't see coming by a country mile.

Its not-so-beloved sequel is tagging along, nipping at its heels like a tiny dog who believes in the power of courage.
    Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality, after all.