Thread: Impression - Class of Heroes 2

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar

Impression - Class of Heroes 2

After spending several hours dungeon diving in Class of Heroes 2, our team of freshman students is proud to have cleared three whole dungeons rather than being stuck ten steps into the first map. Read the detailed impression to see what other improvements this sequel has made.

Impression
    Last edited by 7thCircle; 06-01-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    After reading that you can officially upgrade me to "Excite"

Pretty eager to give this one a whirl and try some of those class combos!

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Looking good! I'm excited!! I'm doing SJ (still)...I think I'm on that long dungeon, hahahaha. Good times!

The first game lost me very quick when I took a quest to go into the first dungeon. I had more fun not doing any quests, but that's not really the point of the game. I supposed I'd give it a try if I was in the mood for another dungeon crawler. Still have EO 3 and 4 and Soul Hackers to do, so I don't see me wanting it any time soon.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

I wish there were more dungeon RPGs with labyrinths I could actually get lost in. When I'm going around with an auto map and apparently some kind of magical GPS device that tells me my position and direction at all times, exploring the dungeons feels more like I'm mowing a lawn. It's even worse when you can save as much as you want and as often as you want. It doesn't matter if there's something scary coming up around the next corner, because nothing bad can happen to you.

About this game specifically, I think the change of the MP system was really bad. It's just ridiculous when you can be casting Teleport and Ragnarok like there's no tomorrow. The warp tiles and moving floor tiles in the dungeons don't really mean anything when you can teleport all the time, and there are no anti-warp zones in the game.

The class system in the game felt pretty limiting, since you only have around 3-8 class choices that can be available for each character. I didn't have any problem with knowing class requirements, since I was playing the PS3 version of the game and the manual has all the stat, alignment, and race requirements in it.

I felt like the beginning of the game was a little too heavy on the open forest areas. Maybe it's just me, but dungeon RPGs feel more exciting when you're actually in what looks like a dungeon. Having open areas was a nice change of pace though from the previous game, and there are plenty of dungeon areas in the later part of the game.

A weird change from the previous game is how the inventory system works. Your characters don't have individual inventories, and it's just one item bag for everyone. And that's everyone meaning every single character you have, regardless of if they're in a dungeon or at Crostini school has access to the same item bag at all times. So you get situations like this: your party is in a dungeon and you open a chest that paralyzes everyone on your team that has healing spells. You also don't have any healing items with you because you like being careless. So what do you do? Your item bag seemingly magically teleports back to Crostini and goes on a shopping spree and then raids your locker, then 2 seconds later is back in the middle of the dungeon with some paralysis cure items for everyone. It's ridiculous. It's as if you are not the party of adventurers, but you are a magical teleporting item bag that possesses other people to make them do its bidding.

One thing I really liked about the game though is the firebird enemies. Nothing's scarier than an enemy that has a breath attack that has a chance of level draining everyone in the party. Not many games have enemies that do something like that! And there are a few combination anti-spell zone/deep zone tiles in the game. Those were memorable.

Zeefer, I have a game for you! Wizardry 6 was just released on GoG! Good old school dungeon crawling, no handholding, kick yer butt goodness. Seven is pretty much along the same lines, though I think you can eventually get a map in that one.

Haha, I actually bought them on GoG. I've played the first five Wizardry games, but I've never played 6-8, even though I have 6 and 7 in boxes. I'm deciding whether to go ahead and play Ken to Mahou to Gakuen mono. 3 first since I've already a little bit into it, or go with Wizardry VI. I hope I didn't sound too negative about Class of Heroes II. I really enjoyed it a lot. Dungeon RPGs, or dungeon crawlers, or 3D first person dungeon RPGs, or whatever they're called are probably my favorite kind of game.

Well, you sounded a wee down on it...but, like I said, I've got other suggestions lined up

You can always listen to RPGBacktrack for more details. We've covered a number of them, including Wizardry games.