Thread: Final Fantasy IV Is Ported Once Again

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Final Fantasy IV Is Ported Once Again

Following in the footsteps of its iOS port, Final Fantasy IV has moved on to a rival mobile platform. Betting pools are still open regarding whether it will be ported the Pokéwalker next or not.

[Link]

I guess Square Enix is trying to catch up to the number of ports that Dragon's Lair has.

I consider FF4 among the better FFs, but I already have 3 or 4 copies of the game and I just don't need any more. I'm kind of doubting I'll ever play it again at this point.

To be fair, the DS version of FF4 is drastically different from other versions, and the only other time it's been ported is to iOS.

I hope they add Ouya support (seems likely since they did with FF3), I got mine the other day and it'd be pretty neat to play this on the big screen.

I liked the original a lot more.

Hey publishers! We console players like RPGs too. Throw some ports our way.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I don't think console players can complain of a lack of opportunities to play Final Fantasy IV.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    I don't think console players can complain of a lack of opportunities to play Final Fantasy IV.
    Well maybe. There is the SNES version. The SNES version is on the Wii VC, and there was Final Fantasy Chronicles on the PSX. And you could always hook up a PSP to your TV and play FF4 Complete on there. But otherwise, most of the ports & remakes and ports of remakes have been on some variety of handheld.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I always forget that some people don't consider handheld gaming devices to be consoles. I have a feeling Square is avoiding doing ports/remakes on consoles because the fanbase would then expect them to have full HD quality graphics (Virtual Console excepted). That'd be awfully expensive for VII and below, and they outright said that's why they aren't remaking VII.

You can say it wouldn't be like that, but look into your heart and the depths of various fan forums, and you know it to be true.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

That's a good point. I'm personally not really interested in having the older games on a console. BUT, if they did it, I would like to see some sort of anniversary collection or something with all the games playable on a single console. Enhancements would be nice in that situation, but not particularly necessary. That's about the only way I think they could get away with re-releasing the games without doing a major overhaul for modern consoles.

Or they could release it on the Ouya. That's a thing, right?

Well, I wasn't talking about plain ol' FF4. The way I see it, if other publishers can port 3DS/PSP games to the stationary consoles, then Square can too.

I always forget that some people don't consider handheld gaming devices to be consoles.
    We do, we just don't like clarifying "handheld console" or "stationary console" or whatever every time we type it out.

Really? I always thought console means connected to TV screen in contrast to handheld.

But there is really no need for FF4 to be on consoles. I want Etrian's Odyssey, Golden Sun 3, Parasite Eve 3 and the new Star Ocean 1 port for consoles, though!
    Last edited by Rya.Reisender; 06-05-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Nah, a console can be any one of those devices.

And semi-related, Sega just announced their entire line of core Sonic games (1 - 4) for the Ouya. Guess your publisher of choice needs to be desperate before you see their games on more than one console, heh.

I think we should stick to:
    console - only those connected to TV
    handheld - not connected to TV

I really don't want to write "stationary console" every time I complain about something only being released on a handheld. =p

Or at least find a shorter word for it. Like tvsole. Or deskheld!
    Last edited by Rya.Reisender; 06-06-2013 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    I think we should stick to:
    console - only those connected to TV
    handheld - not connected to TV

I really don't want to write "stationary console" every time I complain about something only being released on a handheld. =p

Or at least find a shorter word for it. Like tvsole. Or deskheld!
    How about just not complaining

as for the definition Actually Game Console does not mean a handheld according to dictionary.com taken from the World English Dictionary

World English Dictionary
    games console

— n
    an electronic device used in playing computer games on the screen of a television to which it is connected
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Hah! Knew it. So let's stick with handheld vs. console.

How about just not complaining
    I'll complain until they stop making RPGs for handhelds. Dead to all handhelds!

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    There is no particular reason to find a consensus on the meanings of the words console and handheld when so few other words have universally consistent usage. I know I've referred to handhelds as consoles in the past, though I'll admit I do that less these days. I certainly won't say that doing so is wrong, even if it is less common.

Huh. I always followed Rya's (apparently official and correct) definition. I never realized that there was any non-consensus or confusion on the difference between a "console" and a "handheld". I guess it's kind of the same as how so many people don't understand the difference between a "port" and a "remake" and seem to use the terms interchangeably.

Back on topic, I wonder how long it'll take before the inevitable FF4 release on android. As far as I know, we have all the major iOS titles other than ATB (and really, who wants that ported anyway?).

There is no particular reason to find a consensus on the meanings of the words console and handheld
    Especially in a community it should be very important that everyone uses the same word so people understand each other.