Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Risk of XVersus - Editorial

The Risk of XVersus - Editorial

A Versus re-reveal could be right around the corner. Here's why that could be a very dangerous thing.

Editorial
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

A savior for the franchise. I laughed at the irony of that, since it's so true. I agree, it has many expectations to live up to.......
    But then, action based battle vs. turn based....... *snap* and like that, the fanbase is divided in half whether it's good or not. You can't please everyone.

On the MMO thing, go ahead and look up which FF game has been the most profitable up until now. Haters gonna hate.

In the meantime, enough MMO chat in this thread. Versus...excited or not? Why or why not?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    Versus...excited or not? Why or why not?
    I didn't keep up with all the drama but I would be excited.
    Why? I always try to enter a game with a more or less clean state of mind free from prejudice and opinion heavy words from others. FF XII, XIII and XIII-2 are sitting on my backlog quite comfortably and when I finally find the time for them try to enjoy them for what they are.

Speaking on Versus...as with most other games/films I try to go only with trailers for my decision if I want them or not. Sure that has hurt me and my wallet a lot of times (Aliens: Colonial Marines, FF CC, FF X-2, FF VII Advent Children, 300(movie) Alexander the Great (movie), etc...) but the trailers for Versus seemed pretty nice and interesting. Why? The setting was way darker, more "tech" then "fantasy" as most of the other numbered entries into the series and I really liked that feeling the trailers gave away.

And why not only go with the feeling alone? Could be also a very unique experience.

I am by no means a shooter fan but I played and finished Bioshock 1 and 2 after only seeing some of their trailers. Sure it was a boring shooter-experience if you only look into game-mechanics, but the setting, feeling and story was something completely else...I spent nearly 2 times as much time in their respective wikis than I spent ingame because the setting and lore were interesting as hell.

Same here...who knows what Versus will play like when it ever comes around to be released...but why not? I will surely give it the benefit of the doubt...as I will give XII, XIII and XIII-2

I've been absolutely shocked that there has been so much hype over Versus for the past 7 years. We got what, 2 trailers and a couple screenshots (is there anything else I don't know of?). One trailer was all cutscene material, and the other longer one was mostly cutscene but had some actual gameplay footage. And all the hype is based on that?

And on top of that, it looks nothing like Final Fantasy. It looks like a more realistic Kingdom Hearts game with the Parasite Eve like setting. Are the people hyped over this game the same group that has been long time Final Fantasy fans? Is the hype more that its Not-XIII? I don't get it.

I don't get it, and I don't see how this can ever live up to the hyped up imaginings that people have placed on it based on like 13 minutes of trailer footage, where around like 9 minutes was context-less cutscene.

I'd be willing to get some side game called Versus, but if they make that game into XV, I'm done with the series. It simply cannot meet everyone's expectations, and it doesn't look like what I want in a 'core' FF title.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Final Fantasy XIV derail moved here: http://board.rpgamer.com/forum/showt...ail-Moved-Here

Please stay on the main topic of the editorial like the remaining posts in this thread. Thank you.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

In the meantime, enough MMO chat in this thread. Versus...excited or not? Why or why not?
    I just can't be until I have a clue what the game will be like. At this point going off old information and footage just can't be accurate speculation. It's the same as speculating about The Last Guardian or some made up title. It's all imagination.
    Mario Kart 8 Review - Latest Proto article

Quote Originally Posted by Private Prinny View Post
    FF XII, XIII and XIII-2 are sitting on my backlog quite comfortably
    I wish they were still on my backlog, too.

Versus...excited or not? Why or why not?
    I'm cautiously hopeful about the FF announcement. I don't care if they rebrand Versus...if they feel they have a great game, make it XV (but please not XVersus!).

I agree that even the best FF game will not please everyone, and there are early indications that facets of Versus are not my ideal (e.g., less 'fantasy' setting). However I can accept SE making an RPG in a style I don't like as long as it is well done.

As for high expectations, I think any FF # will have them no matter what the development history. At least for now...

I've been absolutely shocked that there has been so much hype over Versus for the past 7 years. We got what, 2 trailers and a couple screenshots (is there anything else I don't know of?). One trailer was all cutscene material, and the other longer one was mostly cutscene but had some actual gameplay footage. And all the hype is based on that?
    No kidding. People get so hyped up too easily these days. A few trailers and everyone thought Overstrike would be so awesome, but then they get a game with unique elements like FUSE and all they do is complain about how it's not Overstrike, a non-existent game that could have easily sucked. The same could easily happen to Versus.

Anyway, whatever happened to Versus, I'm pretty sure the rebuilding of FF14 had something to do with its delay.

I seem to remember half the hype for this game was being generated by PS3 true believes still pissed that FFXIII got down and dirty with the Ganjinbox. Does a Kingdom Hearts-esk Final Fantasy make sense in 2013, when the last mainline installment of Nomura's wretched magnum opus was 2005? There was a rumor a while back that SE planned to scale the whole thing down to something they could throw together in a year and then just move on; I think that's about the only way we'll ever see it released.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    No kidding. People get so hyped up too easily these days.
    I think people have always gotten hyped too easily. Gamers usually take games too personally, as well. If a game features something they don't like, they take it almost as a personal insult. Of course this happens only with games that belong to a series they care about, which makes it somewhat understandable.

But my feelings about the FF-series have changed as well, unfortunately. About seven years ago I would have been superexcited to see just what S-E will be bringing forth in the future. Now I'm just in a state of careful intrigue about what next week will bring with it.

I'm even unsure whether to buy Lightning Returns, even though I totally dig the main character. Action games just aren't my cup of tea... :/

All I know is that whatever SE does, it hardly gets my attention these days. Seriously, reading that piece just adds to my growing disdain of the company I grew up loving. I mean, seven years is a pretty wide window to release a product. Imagine if a gaming console did this. Sure, some fans would stay hyped just by the thought and intrigue of the new console, but like many consumers, time is the biggest enemy for them. I have to be constantly reminded that this versus game even exists, it's a total non factor in my eyes.

Seven years ago I was already in a state of flux with Square. I didn't like where they were going and currently the company looks and feels alien to me. Nothing they release these days feels like the SE I grew up with. Sure, I go and take small peeks every now and then for SEs new products, but long gone are my moments of waiting with breathless hope of something good being churned out by them.

My expectations of SE are as low as expectations can be. Perhaps one day when I take a look at one of these new SE projects I will smile, but every time I do, I leave shaking my head.

Will the day ever come where I look upon a SE game and actually smile again? Other then their older games, obviously. If that day ever shows up on my door step I will be the first person to stand up and say thank you. But until then, I wait and my patience slips into the realm of pessimism and boredom.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Versus, but I do not want it to become XV. I don't want Final Fantasy XV to be an action RPG, nor do I want its director to be Nomura or its producer to be Kitase.

The ideal E3 scenario: Versus is announced for PS3 and PS4 and renamed to reflect a move away from the XIII mythos; and Final Fantasy XV is separately announced for next-gen. At this point, Square Enix needs both if it wants to redeem itself in the eyes of as much as its fanbase as possible. Combining the two titles would alienate just as many fans as it would regain. Keeping them separate is a win-win for everyone: Nomura fans get their dark action RPG, core FF fans get their traditional RPG, and maybe, just maybe, people will start to have faith in the company again.

I think people have always gotten hyped too easily. Gamers usually take games too personally, as well.
    I think YouTube and the prevalance of gameplay videos/trailers have made it even easier to hype people. Before, you had nothing to go on but some screenshots in a magazine and the word of the devs. I'm speaking generally mind you, not of Square which, at the time, merely had to mention it had a game (didn't even have to be an FF) to make us excited. There was a reason for that though.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 06-08-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    All I know is that whatever SE does, it hardly gets my attention these days. Seriously, reading that piece just adds to my growing disdain of the company I grew up loving.
    Let's be serious. We grew up loving Squaresoft and Enix. The hideous chimera they chose to merge into quickly became an unlovable monstrosity.

Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    Let's be serious. We grew up loving Squaresoft and Enix. The hideous chimera they chose to merge into quickly became an unlovable monstrosity.
    Couldnt agree more. The only benefit to the merger Ive seen is that the Square side started following how Enix did remakes, so we started getting actual remakes rather than ports with a short cgi slapped on the front and end of them. I cant think of anything else positive otherwise. The only new game that came out since the merger that I liked was ff12, and even I can admit that the game fell short of what it could have been due to the behind the scenes issues at Squeenix. Its actually amazing how the merger has managed to screw up both companies main franchises so spectacularly. Although Dragon Quest seems to be holding on a bit better in quality and staying with its core than Final Fantasy, if we ignore the mess that is DQX.

My only concern with Versus is that it won't be released for the PS3. I don't want to see it pushed back to the PS4. I want to play it on the console I already own, and I don't really care whether it's called Final Fantasy XV or Versus.

Pretty much...
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraness View Post
    My only concern with Versus is that it won't be released for the PS3. I don't want to see it pushed back to the PS4. I want to play it on the console I already own, and I don't really care whether it's called Final Fantasy XV or Versus.

And who knows what other technicalities will arise in a PS3 title being ported to the ps4

If this game is cancelled, it'd be a shame. The soundtrack had potential.
    Last edited by VncentValntine; 06-10-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Well, it's happened.

I'm mostly okay with Versus - to XV--let's face it, they need to get max sales for this development to be even remotely justified. I'm not happy with it being on PS4 for a couple of reasons. 1. You announced it in 2006--it should be "ready" enough for you to spend every last second of the next three months prepping for a winter release in at least Japan. 2. Every FF gen has had three numbered entries per generation of console. This throws a complete wrench to that, and it really bugs me for some reason. Hell, would have even fit the pattern of the PS2 gen: First game is more linear than previous games and becomes a further dividing point in the series, the second game is a very divisive MMO, and the third game took forever to develop.

Now that its been officially renamed to XV, Final Fantasy as a series is dead to me. Horrible move, Square.