Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightning Strikes Next Year

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Lightning Strikes Next Year

After this final adventure, we suspect Lightning may go on strike. Surely all this forced time-travel is against labour laws.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I still need more info on the battle system, as I'm still seeing ATB style moves.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I agree with you, Dark.
    I wonder if people will like this more than XIII-2.
    Last edited by Slayer; 06-07-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Not even remotely excited about this. FFXIII-2, while enjoyable, really let me down with the endings. Made me go into an RPG depression as a matter of fact. Lightning Returns has even less appeal to me, as I was hoping the final game would be a more traditional party based FF game. I don't even care what happens to the characters anymore.

Bargain bin! Bargain bin! C'mon everybody, chant along!
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    So does this mean we have timeframe where we can stop talking about 13?

Absolutely. Its around the same time we can stop talking about 7.

Why do I feel like playing FFXIII-3 will be like finishing the final leg of a relay race you've already lost.

I've never played any of these games, so I'll most likely wait until a bundle of all three comes out. Even then I might have little to no interest to play this. When it came out, FF13 looked pretty sure...but that has never been my cup of tea for RPGs.

FF has really become a joke of a series to me. I gave up hoping they would turn it around a long time ago.

Fine I'll be the first one to say it. I am looking forward to this game.

I will admit that everything that everyone said was wrong with 13 absolutely was. And it did take take over 2/3 of the game for it to finally open up and become cohesive. And when it did it was a fairly decent entry.
    13-2 did try to fix the "Problems" of 13 but like 13 took forever to get going. I couldn't get behind the monster gathering, and personally there wasn't a good ending. Even the "Good" ending wasn't that good.
    So yes I am looking forward to Lightning Returns, I think the single PC combat could be interesting.

Lets face it it will never be as bad as 12, and yes I went there. Again in my own opinion 12 is the worst entry. Combat was terrible the story was lost, and It was impossible for me to like or even relate to ANY of the characters.

Hopefully SE will have a great showing at E3
    Kain: "Conscience...? You dare speak to me of conscience? Only when you have felt the full gravity of choice should you dare to question my judgment!"

I am also looking forward to this. I thought the trailer looked interesting.
    What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul.

I couldn't quite put my finger on what makes this one more appealing than the other FFXIII games, but then it hit me: the aesthetic design is vaguely reminiscent of Final Fantasy VIII.

My mind refuses the draw any conclusions from this.

I don't understand all the hate here. While 13 was a little bland, I thought 13-2 made up for a lot of the issues. I'm really looking forward to this one as well!!
    Bean Forever

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    To be honest, I liked XIII more than XIII-2, just due to the difficulty level. Plus it felt a little better IMO. I'm still waiting for this one though, because I must finish what I started. Plus well...the team who did VP are doing the time system thing in this one.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    Plus well...the team who did VP are doing the time system thing in this one.
    You have my undivided attention. Valkyrie Profile is on of my all time favorite, Non FF, RPG's. This makes me even more interested in the game.
    Kain: "Conscience...? You dare speak to me of conscience? Only when you have felt the full gravity of choice should you dare to question my judgment!"

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    To be honest, I liked XIII more than XIII-2, just due to the difficulty level. Plus it felt a little better IMO. I'm still waiting for this one though, because I must finish what I started. Plus well...the team who did VP are doing the time system thing in this one.
    XIII had the more serious story and the difficulty did add to things I'll agree. The problem with XIII was the fact that other than leveling up and fighting, there wasn't much interest gameplay-wise. Now I'm not bashing on it because it's linear, rather that if it's gonna have a rather..."dungeon crawlish" style then it should have things to keep things interesting. Unfortunately since loot was useless, customizing weapons was incredibly shallow and equipment hardly felt like it had an effect it just made the game fairly unexciting at times. To me the only time the game shined was during boss battles because of this (because truly, the battle system was pretty fun and intense).

The other problem is the game was a little too indecisive on what it wanted to be. The whole game you're given this rather linear path and you can't grind to win any boss battle do to level capping. Then half-way through it becomes a grind fest and opens up with a lot of side quest. It felt tacked on and broke the games flow (Not to mention the games story became incredibly rushed towards the ending).

XIII-2 has none of these problems. The main problem with XIII-2 was the game was a bit too easy, but it was fun so I could overlook it. Minor problems were the platforming being unnecessary and the dungeons being pretty boring. Story wise it shouldn't have even been attached to the XIII time line and just been something brand new. Though it was a fairly "shounen" fair that was exaggerate and didn't take itself very seriously most of the time, which also added to the fun (though some people don't like illogical storylines I know). I think the change of tone was too jarring for a lot of people though. XIII was super serious and XIII-2 was incredibly light hearted so uh...yeah.

But yeah both games are fairly flawed but not as bad as people make them out to be if you ask me.

Now as for this game...I'm just curious on what kind of "action rpg" it's going to be. If it's going to be one at all. I guess I just wanna know how the battle system is going to work. I tend to like that genre of rpgs more than any other so yeah, potentially I could like this one the most.
    Last edited by hyperknees91; 06-08-2013 at 11:15 PM.

Meh, 13 and 13-2 were fine. If this last one is fine, then they're fine. If it sucks then it makes the trilogy that much more pointless. If it's AWESOME, then it makes the entire trilogy worth it.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    I consider ff13 in my 5 least favorite ff games. 13-2 is the absolute bottom of the list for me.

I expect Lightning Returns to be right smack down there with the rest of its trilogy. This makes 10-2 look really good, lol.

At one time, "Final Fantasy" meant must-buys that I waited breathlessly for. Gone are those days... I've skipped XIII-2, XIV and will likely skip this one. Type 0 might've caught my interest, but didn't make it here.

I miss the steampunkish fantasy themed games oh well. My FF nerve died years ago anyway.
    "The eyepatch was to remind myself to never get overconfident."