Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Square Enix Has Huge Sony Conference Showing

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff

Square Enix Has Huge Sony Conference Showing

Square Enix showed up to Sony's E3 press conference with plenty to talk about and show to the crowd. The future of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts is contained within.

Linkety link

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Yeah, this is just another notch on Sony's belt at E3.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    I feel so damn giddy whenever I watch the FFXV trailer.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Since I know in the past that Square Enix may not produce any more Final Fantasy games after number 15, I hope Final Fantasy 15 will not only be the best Final Fantasy game produced, but also the best in the Fabula Nova Crystallis series.

If the rumours are not true, maybe there will be more Final Fantasy games after Final Fantasy 15.

Now they've done it. FF is no longer an RPG series. But it looks awesome anyway.

This is horrible news.They should have kept it ff 13 versus and had a WHOLE new game not an action rpg as ff 15. Very upset with square again.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by mooserocka View Post
    This is horrible news.They should have kept it ff 13 versus and had a WHOLE new game not an action rpg as ff 15. Very upset with square again.
    Whether or not they changed the name really has no bearing.... they'd still be two different games, so maybe FF16 will be turn-based again.

Quote Originally Posted by madhtr View Post
    Whether or not they changed the name really has no bearing.... they'd still be two different games, so maybe FF16 will be turn-based again.
    Sure it does. You forget, there are still plenty of us angry over the MMOs being numbered. Now they are making a side game that doesn't look or feel anything like what many of us see as a "core" FF into the next numbered iteration? It really waters down what it means to get a number after the title. Especially for a game that has been so overhyped over the last 7 years that it really has little chance of living up to what everyone has built up in their minds.

Neither of the S-E announcements really did anything for me. I'm angry about the renaming obviously. KH3 is great for some, I have no problem with it, but I'm guessing that if you didn't follow any of the side games, it will make as little sense as KH2 did if you didn't play... what was it, Chain of Memories? Maybe even less so. Since I've only played KH1 and KH2, I don't think I'm the target audience. (Kinda goes back to how numbers after a game's title actually matters. Or at least they should.). But great for everyone that has been wanting KH3 for a long time.

Certified Polygameyst RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    I disagree...at least to a point.

When I go to a Pizza Hut, I bring certain expectations with me. If I walk into one and found out they're serving hamburgers and fries, instead of Pizza, I'm going to have an issue with that. The people at Yum Brands (who manage that franchise) seem to understand this. In certain restaurants where they offer both pizzas and tacos, they brand those stores differently. When I visit those, I understand they will not have the full Pizza Hut menu, but a mixing of Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.

Square did right when they called their FF7 offshoot, Dirge of Cerberus -Final Fantasy VII . They called their tactical RPG Final Fnatasy Tactics. By calling this action RPG "FF XV," Square is causing brand confusion (which started with FFXI, imho... that should have been called Final Fantasy World or something). Which, shouldn't surprise us given that for nearly a generation now, they seem to have lost their direction and vision of what made their franchise so awesome for the three game generations before.

The counter argument to this, I suppose, would be to point out that each FF game has differed in many ways from the one before. The series is constantly changing and evolving... and perhaps this is another step in that direction. We went from four to three..to one party member! And from Turn based, to ATB, to faster, party based strategy play to...real time! LOL. I dunno....I guess I feel, as a fan from the very first game, that at this point it's evolved past a point that it no longer interest me as a Final Fantasy title. And if it's a true third person action game, it's going to have to be a really good one to stand on its feet versus the likes of games like Last of Us, Infamous and Uncharted.

As another note, I'll point out that Wizards of the Coast kinda did this kinda of juke move with their D&D brand in going to 4th edition. They haven't been the same sense...and similar to S-E, are struggling to redefine and re-find their place in the gaming world.

Square-Enix has confirmed to IGN that both KH3 and FFXV will be coming to the Xbone as well

At least they wont be exclusives on the CrossBone. But gives people the option to play them if they happen to find themselves owning one of those machines.

I don't think making them exclusives serves Square-Enix very well anyways. With the architectures being so similar now its very easy to port and add more opportunities to make money and thus make more quality games. Smart choice.

Also I think that trailer for FFXV is very awesome and I am thoroughly interested.
    What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul.

Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    Sure it does. You forget, there are still plenty of us angry over the MMOs being numbered. Now they are making a side game that doesn't look or feel anything like what many of us see as a "core" FF into the next numbered iteration? It really waters down what it means to get a number after the title. Especially for a game that has been so overhyped over the last 7 years that it really has little chance of living up to what everyone has built up in their minds.
    Actually, I think the new trailer actually did a very good job of living up to the expectations of the hype. It was so awesome that I was actually crying. Also, if you would recall, FF4 started the ATB, and FF1-FF3 had the normal turn battles, so the ATB was an evolution from the normal turn system. This is an evolution from ATB, and anybody could see it would eventually come to ARPG, just like how Parasite Eve's battle system would eventually evolve into a TPS one.
    User Database Check

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    Actually, I think the new trailer actually did a very good job of living up to the expectations of the hype. It was so awesome that I was actually crying.
    Its still just a trailer. I don't think the game itself will live up to the 7 years of hype. I have no doubt that Square is capable of making some amazing videos, but games are a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    This is an evolution from ATB, and anybody could see it would eventually come to ARPG, just like how Parasite Eve's battle system would eventually evolve into a TPS one.
    I disagree. Every single main FF title, including the MMOs, were not fully real-time. There has always been an element of turn- and menu-based combat, whether its traditional turn-based, ATB, ADB, or whatever you would call XI and XIV's battle systems. There was never a precedent for a fully real-time system, even with X-2 and XIII which intentionally sped things up but also intentionally kept turn-based elements.

EDIT: That's really effing great. XV will have sequels ala XIII. I don't think we'll be seeing FFXVI anytime soon.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/11...them-at-least/

And for a twist of the dagger, here's Hashimoto's totally noncommittal statement about turn-based gameplay:
    When asked if the more action-oriented nature of the game meant that Final Fantasy was going to be become that way in the future, Hashimoto stated that the Final Fantasy series has different systems, but that Square are not at the stage where they can comment on the future beyond Final Fantasy XV.
    All this really means is that turn-based gameplay is now "uncertain" in the future of FF.

I'm feeling just about done with this company.

You didn't read the extension, Jormungand.

When asked if it was difficult to do turn-based combat in a game that has the production values of Final Fantasy XV, Hashimoto stated that he feels there is a future for both action-based RPGs as well as command-based ones. Square feel that the action-based combat fits Final Fantasy XV.
    User Database Check

I read it. And my concerns stand. Turn-based combat will most likely have its "future" on handhelds. I prefer my turn-based combat on consoles. It used to be that a console Final Fantasy guaranteed a turn-based console RPG. That guarantee is gone now. It's as jcservant says: total brand confusion.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Traditional Final Fantasy is clearly dead. Of what people who grew up playing and enjoying, that type of game unfortunately does not exist anymore as a main franchise entry.

RPG's are a dying breed of game and developers have become frightened to produce them.

The question becomes; can FF hold up in the action game competition?

I believe Lightning Returns will show us if their action games are competitive. Perhaps if Lightning Returns bombs, they will change direction, otherwise we will have to wait and see.

This game reminds me of a shinier Crisis Core game....I'll let you all decide whether that is a good thing or bad thing. I just hope that we at least get an open world Final Fantasy game this time, that may help me adjust to this game a bit.