Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E3 - Monolith Soft's New Game Appears on Nintendo Direct

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

E3 - Monolith Soft's New Game Appears on Nintendo Direct

The game only known as "X" is still an enigma, but it is a very beautiful enigma filled with glorious giant robots. RPGamers can look forward to playing the game next year, but might want to watch this trailer first.

[Link]

I can't stop watching this trailer please help me!!!!!
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    So many areas that look like they were Xenoblade areas...direct sequel for once, or will it be the usual "we're taking things you've seen before and rehashing them" sort of deal Monolith usually does?
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

I don't really see any particular parallels to Xenoblade areas aside from giant architecture in the backgrounds. All looks golden to me.

However, I continue to have concerns about this game being Western-style in the sense that you would create and customize an "avatar" who isn't really a defined main character. I wouldn't like that. I feel like I've seen that male character several times but with different hair colors, which is why I bring this up. Perhaps there's just an optional online component where you create a character, and that's what we've been shown.

I'm hopeful that "open world" doesn't mean Monolith will ditch a traditional cast of playable characters, including a main character (who is defined and not customizable/re-nameable/etc.) After all, Takahashi's strength as a creator and director is realizing worlds and narratives with large scope.

They seem to be marketing this game "gameplay first", which for a rpgamer like me is concerning. I wouldn't buy a game where an avatar without any personality flies around in a mech and kills big monsters, no matter how gorgeous the graphics and the environments were. I play games for the interactive stories they tell - the measly amount of games I buy in a year is very telling of that.

I agree that the world doesn't look like Xenoblade areas, though certainly some of the awesome design elements are in it. There are definitely little/no clues as to what kind of story this game will have, though there is an absence of a strong party presence in the trailer. The fact that it's supposed to release in all regions in 2014 is a good sign at least. When there's an official release date, I'll make my decision then whether or not this is worth spending all the money on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
    I don't really see any particular parallels to Xenoblade areas aside from giant architecture in the backgrounds. All looks golden to me.

However, I continue to have concerns about this game being Western-style in the sense that you would create and customize an "avatar" who isn't really a defined main character. I wouldn't like that. I feel like I've seen that male character several times but with different hair colors, which is why I bring this up. Perhaps there's just an optional online component where you create a character, and that's what we've been shown.

I'm hopeful that "open world" doesn't mean Monolith will ditch a traditional cast of playable characters, including a main character (who is defined and not customizable/re-nameable/etc.) After all, Takahashi's strength as a creator and director is realizing worlds and narratives with large scope.
    Well, I don't think you need to worry about that quite yet. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this game has player-customized characters, and it has been announced to have an open world, but I don't think either would be cause to make a company that's in love with convoluted and dramatic stories give up their speciality.

Having an open world doesn't get in the way of a story. It is just a different way of structuring locations, and doesn't really directly affect the events that happen within those locations. It is still easy to set a long, flowing narrative within such a world.

Also, even if this game does have customizable characters (which may be likely), I don't think that would prevent the game from having a good story. Even ignoring customizable characters like Shepard or Hawke from BioWare games, there are games with completely customizable characters that still have a strong focus on story. White Knight Chronicles is the closest cousin I've seen to Xenoblade in terms of basic gameplay style, and it makes it work (the game's story is all kinds of flawed, but none of that is related to the customizable avatar character issue). Gods Eater Burst does the same (and it actually works pretty well in that game, all things considered). It certainly forces some changes to the way the story is told, but it still allows for great storytelling.

So, yeah, I think it is too early to worry. For now, I'll continue to enjoy these trailers until Nintendo decides to give us more information.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Yes. I'll take it.

Now someone put Reggie in a corner and beat him with a bullwhip if he even thinks about not releasing it here.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

The second video of "X" was quite telling. The gameplay seems more "mech" focused and yet less grounded (pun intended) by Xenoblade. I can see some parallels of "X" to Xenoblade. Particularly when they show the field scenes at sunset which are reminiscent of Colony 9 or when the human player goes up against a big monster (similar to the Bionis Leg near the Colony 6 refugee camp). "X" will still be high on my watchlist, but I do have a whee bit of concern of it turning out like Ragnarok Odyssey, so I hope we learn more details in terms of the playable character cast and story backdrop.
    "The man who sees an opportunity and does nothing is asleep with his eyes open" - Fremen wisdom, Dune: House Corrino, Pg. 472

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    It looks very Xeno

If anything that red X reminds me of Xenogears... imagine, maybe it's a Xenogears remake, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio_7 View Post
    It looks very Xeno

If anything that red X reminds me of Xenogears... imagine, maybe it's a Xenogears remake, hehe.
    Yeah, that red X is exactly Xenogears ... and i don't think it's by accident.
    Thing is, and correct me if i'm wrong, but the original concept was sold to SE (much as Fox owns Firefly),
    Which led to the Xenosaga reboot among a long list of other things.
    It could just as easily be called Xenosaga 4, but the red X is unmistakable.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    Yes. I'll take it.

Now someone put Reggie in a corner and beat him with a bullwhip if he even thinks about not releasing it here.
    Considering it was the semi-main in their E3 conference, this shouldn't be an issue.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Well, Xenoblade was first shown at E3, still being called "Monado: Beginning of the World" at the time. I'm going to stay optimistic and think NoA won't make that mistake again, though anything is possible. :P
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Isn't this the game were they said it has online multiplayer and then you all were disappointing because it could turn out to be a Xenoblade MMORPG? Would also explain the whole everyone makes himself an avatar thing.

Edit: Also in the video you can see another player standing around in the background which would fit to the MMORPG theory.

Yeah, the style of the red X immediately caught my attention. Oh please, please let it be Xenogears/Saga... such an awesome universe that never reached closure. In any case, the mechs and visuals look really cool. I'm interested.

I did get quite a Xenogears/Saga vibe from the trailer. And also, did anyone else notice that TRANSFORMERS!

The transforming mechs were indeed quite noticeable. I'm looking forward to controlling them. I wonder how customizable they might be... I can hope for at least the level of customization that Xenosaga 1's AGWS or 3's ES's have, I think.

I don't think this is going to be related to Xenogears or Xenosaga any more than Xenoblade was, though. Those properties are still owned by Square Enix and Namco Bandai respectively, after all. It doesn't particularly look like either of them, as well. It certainly looks nothing at all like Xenogears. This is much more likely to be either Xenoblade 2 or completely unrelated to any previous game. Possibly both of those, if Monolith Soft feels like borrowing a page from the Final Fantasy playbook.

If that's the case we're being trolled really hard with that red 'X'.
    Totally possible.

This is looking a lot like Xenoblade's battle system with Xenogears's gears...and a single character focus instead of a party.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Yeah, and that last part is too bad if it's true, because the relationships between the party members were some of the best parts of Xenoblade.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance