Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Square Enix Shows Off Final Fantasy XV Gameplay

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff

Square Enix Shows Off Final Fantasy XV Gameplay

Square Enix showed off more gameplay for its upcoming Final Fantasy XV title. There are some very large monsters that really want Noctis and his friends to no longer be alive.

A link to the future

Looks like a flashier KH, which is what we were promised over half a decade ago. So, yeah, really, looks like nothing from development changed, just the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Clix View Post
    Looks like a flashier KH, which is what we were promised over half a decade ago. So, yeah, really, looks like nothing from development changed, just the name.
    And that a year ago they scrapped it and went next-gen consoles with it. The UI is definitely changed, though. Looks interesting, and hopefully it's good.

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    The behemoth footage looks pretty good. I don't think I want to see their rendition of a morbol, though. Too much realism might be nightmare-inducing.

Numbered or not, I don't think I can look at this as a "real" final-fantasy game, but at this point, that doesn't really matter; I'm already somewhat detached from the FF brand. I'll judge the game on its own merits; I don't particularly care how they decide to label it.

This game does look good, and if it lives up to its promise, it might be counting against my 3-game minimum for the PS4.

Quote Originally Posted by Clix View Post
    Looks like a flashier KH
    Agreed 100%. The large enemy fights are just like the giant heartless (or nobodies, or whatever iteration we are on now), and the music is spot on (especially the beginning and 2:05-2:30). Even the weapons appearing and disappearing. Maybe at next year's E3 we will hear that XV and KH3 have been merged into one game...

Quote Originally Posted by RealityChecked View Post
    Agreed 100%. The large enemy fights are just like the giant heartless (or nobodies, or whatever iteration we are on now), and the music is spot on (especially the beginning and 2:05-2:30). Even the weapons appearing and disappearing. Maybe at next year's E3 we will hear that XV and KH3 have been merged into one game...
    Versus is being developed by the old KH team, so that is why it's so similar. KH3 is being developed by the new Osaka development team.

Given the indicated narrative strength and scope,
    and that this game came into development at or before XIII did,
    Suggests this may have been the original Final Fantasy XIII...
    It just never came together in time.

In fact, you could say that Final Fantasy 14 is a similar tale, as a game that began development i believe in 2005...
    Only in that case they released it.

Who is to say the whole Lightning saga wasn't the product of SE realizing that what is now 15 would not be ready.
    This game looks spectacular. Chances are it will be one of the greats. And frankly, it looks VERY Final Fantasy.
    That's all that matters.

Nice to see that there is still party combat even with the switch to 100% real time.

This seems to have gone further into to the action realm since last time we seen footage and now looks more like the recent western blockbusters such as Tomb Raider or Mass Effect. It's not really a problem, they can make whatever games they want, but surely they could do this under a different title or new IP. I am wondering if we will ever see a full budget traditional game from S-E again; the JRPG lanscape is kind of crumbling without one to set a standard. Sure there are other companies which have stayed on the more traditional line, but they just aren't reaching the same audience numbers that S-E would.
    Last edited by Rambler; 06-11-2013 at 08:41 PM.

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    the gameplay looks cool but there doesn't appear to be a jump button, just a dodge button, so it seems more like crisis core than KH. I thought CC worked well with just a dodge move but I would prefer a jump button.

Also, can someone please tell me what in the eff "this is a fantasy based on reality" is supposed to mean? It's so freaking cheesy.
    sup?

I'm worried I will suck at this game. I will definitely be playing it on the easiest possible difficulty setting, because my fingers are not that nimble... XD

Quote Originally Posted by Maudren View Post
    Also, can someone please tell me what in the eff "this is a fantasy based on reality" is supposed to mean? It's so freaking cheesy.
    I guess it's a reference to the fact that the game has cars, parking lots and gas stations in it. :P
    Last edited by Sandy; 06-11-2013 at 10:21 PM.

I think it has more to do with them bringing fantasy into a real world, I don't if you noticed but those were Japanese police cars getting destroyed
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

The photorealism making for many very-Japanese-looking characters was a bit jarring, all things considered. I mean ethnically, as opposed stylistically jrpg-ish. I reminds of the prior characters in games where they talked about wanting to make soandso look somewhat French, etc. and then they have all the mocap done by Japanese actresses/actors. There's nothing wrong with it either way I guess. It's just striking how different things can be comparing FMV of people across various studios and countries.

It looks good, but it's being made by Square Enix, and thus will be too easy and only HP-bloat difficulty options. There's nothing worse than an easy action game.

Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    It looks good, but it's being made by Square Enix, and thus will be too easy and only HP-bloat difficulty options. There's nothing worse than an easy action game.
    You can give yourself a challenge. For example try to beat the game without changing equipment ever.

Well I could do that, but:

1. Having to master a whole range of mechanics (equipment, levels, abilities, hit dude with sword etc.) is more fun than mastering just one.

2. I would be depriving myself of the aesthetic pleasure of discovering and utilizing new equipment/abilities.

3. In the back of my mind I'd know that the difficulty is only the result of me making things difficult for myself, which takes away from the thrill.

So yeah, Square Enix can feel free to set the default difficulty to kiddy-mode for all the JRPG fans who've never played an action game before, but if they want the privilege of my time and attention they're going to have to throw in a hard mode.
    Last edited by Drav; 06-12-2013 at 08:07 AM.

It looks very interesting to me.
    But, I would've preferred it on the PS3.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    Have you seriously forgotten FF5, FFX's Seymour Battles, and FFXII and FFXIII? They can do some pretty challenging stuff. Plus, since this is the Kingdom Hearts team doing this game, expect multiple difficulty modes.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Gawd, I hope those are actions you can decide to take (like jumping up on the beastie's horns) rather than keypress prompts that show up and interrupt the flow of battle. I hate QTEs.

Edit: In response to Jormungand. TIME TRAVEL.
    Last edited by Ocelot; 06-12-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Looking like there's a looooooot of QTE action in that trailer.