Thread: Tengai Makyou II: Manjimaru - Staff Retroview

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

Tengai Makyou II: Manjimaru - Staff Retroview

It has Manto and a goofball spouting Engrish, but this Tengai Makyou is not the consistently loony romp its descendants would become. Instead it's a test of fortitude in several regards.
    Nooo - Shiro gets turned into a robot!
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

You guys usually have a "language barrier" difficulty rating in your japanese reviews. I know it says it's pretty high in the article itself, but for a moment I thought the game was available in English because of it's absence in the review side-bar.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    The "Language Barrier" rating is something I throw into my Japanese game reviews, but it's not an official part of the site format.

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    The "Language Barrier" rating is something I throw into my Japanese game reviews, but it's not an official part of the site format.
    Oh! Good to know! It's a good addition, and very helpful for those of us who are semi-lingual, but I totally understand why it wouldn't then be in everyone's reviews.

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the continued retro-reviews. They are fantastic.

Much of this Tengai Makyou's music was composed by Joe Hisaishi, already a veteran of Studio Ghibli work.
    Actually, the majority of the game's music was composed by Yasuhiko Fukuda. Hisaishi did about 10 tracks.

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar
    Actually, the majority of the game's music was composed by Yasuhiko Fukuda. Hisaishi did about 10 tracks.
    Shows what I get for going off memory instead of checking again. That's now fixed. Anything else?
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.