Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll - Post E3

Code: Kirin RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

Poll - Post E3

Post-E3, which platform's RPG prospects look best?
    Wii U
    Xbox One
    PlayStation 4
    PC
    Vita
    3DS
    It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Gotta be that 3DS. Off the top of my head I can think of A Link Between Two Worlds, M&L: Dream Team, SMT4, Etrian Odyssey Millennium Girl, Pokemon X/Y, and Bravely Default. No other system is even close to beating this line up as far as I'm concerned. Unless maybe you're into the indie scene on PC.
    Last edited by ChickenGod; 06-14-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

Pretty much my thoughts exactly, CG. From the E3 showing, it was definitely the 3DS and maybe PS4. But including all information in and out of E3, I think the PC has a good chance as well, just due to the diversity of the development going on.

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    PS4 for home consoles, 3DS for handhelds.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

PS4 for sure. Will probably be the only console I'll even get from that list.

Though there is a 20% chance for me to get a Wii U, but it takes more than one good exclusive JRPG for me to get it.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    The PS4 and the Xbox One don't even really have any RPGs announced for them yet. I'm sure the PS4 will have some awesome RPGs down the line, but not right away.

In terms of RPG showing, the 3DS wins hands down. It's a friggin' gold mine of RPGs right now. AND I WILL OWN EVERY SINGLE ONE DAMMIT!
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

After what happened at E3 I'm sure a bunch of developers will jump on Sony's bandwagon and we'll see more game announcements in the coming months. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a few exclusivity contracts torn up.

I liked what I saw from the Wii U, PS4 and 3DS.

Of those, I already own a 3DS, and will most likely buy both other systems eventually, but I won't buy PS4 upon its launch.

The Wii U purchase will rest on whether this new Smash Brothers game is better (way way way WAY better) then Brawl. I was a fan of Melee personally, and Brawl was a supreme let down (tripping...really?).

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
    PS4 for home consoles, 3DS for handhelds.
    This is my feelings on it as well.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    The 3DS for sure. So many excellent games on the horizon for it and a good number already out.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Well, I won't be supporting the XB1 at all and I'm decidedly not a handheld guy unless I can play the games on my home TV. I'd say it's fairly safe to presume the PS4 is going to be the dominant gamer platform for this generation. I might get a WiiU at some point when it's cheaper and has enough games that I want to be worth owning. I'll always have a PC, so I don't really worry about that front. I'm actually kind of relieved that it looks like there's only one home console worth buying this time around.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I'm so happy to see all the RPGs coming out for 3DS, which has become my favourite non-PC platform of all time. The portability, nice graphics, 3D feature (yes, I love the 3D), and dual screen gameplay just all click with me.

PC is going to be king of the full-screen RPGs for me with all the nifty Kickstarter games and most more-commercial WRPGs coming out for it, although of course the PS4 looks to be the home of any console JRPGs that come out in the future. How many of those are made will depend on whether Japan decides to adopt the PS4 in large numbers or sticks with the handheld mania it's had since the PS2 rode off into the sunset.

(At least we know we won't have to worry about the Xbone picking up any JRPG exclusives, since it won't be available or even work if imported in Japan at launch.)
    Last edited by Ocelot; 06-15-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

The 3DS for now, easily. SMT IV, Dream Team, Bravely Default, and Zelda(if you count that) all look good. (though the Vita is looking up with Ys and Muramasa coming out later)

Right now I would say PS4/Xbox One are even. All the RPG(ish) games announced as of now are all multiplat(Dragon Age III, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III, The Divison).

For now, PS3 is still my console for RPGs: Disgaea D2, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, Guided Fate Paradox, Lightning Returns, South Park, Tales of Xillia/Symphonia Chronicles

With all the focus on television and such, I doubt Microsoft will make an effort to make any RPG imports exclusive. I really hope Sony makes an effort to turn the Vita around, it is such a nice system.

Eh, based on lengthy discussions in other, related threads, we already know the handhelds have the best prospects. Personally, at the moment I'm only interested in two upcoming "next-gen" RPGs: Bravely Default and Monolith Soft's X, and I'd much rather have X.

I've mentioned this thought before, somewhere, but the Wii was truly the perfect platform for developing JRPGs. Because of its place in time and space, it occupied a development environment where there was a large install base despite being an "underpowered" system. In other words, developers couldn't waste millions of resources on graphics and complex engines even if they wanted to. This is where JRPGs need to happen. Of course, few developers ever went there.

Either we need an intentionally underpowered console this gen (which isn't realistic), or developers need to back off sinking resources into graphics. JRPG development, if it's to survive on consoles, has to be meticulously planned and budgeted toward delivering gameplay, mechanics, and content before anything else. They'll miss the "OMG graphics" crowd, but that's fine, because they will still reach their target demographic and be profitable (in no small part because they aren't spending so much on visuals).

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    I'm so happy to see all the RPGs coming out for 3DS, which has become my favourite non-PC platform of all time. The portability, nice graphics, 3D feature (yes, I love the 3D), and dual screen gameplay just all click with me.

PC is going to be king of the full-screen RPGs for me with all the nifty Kickstarter games and most more-commercial WRPGs coming out for it, although of course the PS4 looks to be the home of any console JRPGs that come out in the future. How many of those are made will depend on whether Japan decides to adopt the PS4 in large numbers or sticks with the handheld mania it's had since the PS2 rode off into the sunset.

(At least we know we won't have to worry about the Xbone picking up any JRPG exclusives, since it won't be available or even work if imported in Japan at launch.)
    This is pretty much where I'm at including being a weirdo who enjoys the 3D.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass

I'd switch for PC gaming, but I always have bad experiences with it. Many games won't run properly on your computer and when you try to fix it by for example upgrading your graphic driver the whole computer might not work properly anymore or old games suddenly don't work anymore. There are many issues with it, it's rare that you can play a game fluently with highest quality settings and I'm usually not in the mood to try to resolve issues with my PC for hours.

That's why I wanted to stick with consoles, if the game is for the console then it'll work 100%.

Another reason is that console versions don't force me to register somewhere, while almost all PC games these days force registration on you and I'm completely against that (if I don't want to use any online features).

Call me ignorant, but what RPGs have been announced on the PS4 to make it crush every other system in the poll?

The sheer difference in votes (64.27% to second place's 17.78%, wtf?) makes me think the poll simply had a ton of fake PS4 votes.

Quote Originally Posted by imercenary View Post
    Call me ignorant, but what RPGs have been announced on the PS4 to make it crush every other system in the poll?

The sheer difference in votes (64.27% to second place's 17.78%, wtf?) makes me think the poll simply had a ton of fake PS4 votes.
    My guess would be mostly Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 are driving that. Granted those will be on both PS4 and the Xbox 180, but the sentiment around here seems to imply that very few people are interested in Microsofts console this time around.
    Last edited by smacd; 06-23-2013 at 09:44 AM.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    My guess would be mostly Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 are driving that. Granted those will be on both PS4 and the Xbox 180, but the sentiment around here seems to imply that very few people are interested in Microsofts consolr this time around.
    Part of it might be policy perception as well. A friendlier attitude towards indie developers, plus pretty much guaranteed support from Japanese developers since Japan won't touch the Xbox One with a ten foot pole.

Still, not sure how anyone can not pick the 3DS right now. There are so many RPGs coming in the next year, it's ridiculous. It's a good time to be an RPGamer.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!