Thread: Import Impression - Shin Megami Tensei IV

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar

Import Impression - Shin Megami Tensei IV

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Law and danced in the streets with sweetly laughing fey. And, while with silent, sneaking mind I tread the low untrespassed non-sanctity of Hell, I put out my hand and slap the Devil up-side the head.

Impression
    Last edited by GaijinMonogatari; 06-18-2013 at 08:53 AM.

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    It's a good thing I almost always have 250-300 Play Coins on any given day, considering how much walking I do. I have a feeling I'm going to need them for this game.

This game is still looking excellent. I have Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers still sitting unplayed, but I'll probably jump on SMT IV soon after its release.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

I figure that I spent somewhere upwards of 200 game coins by the end of this. I also figured that with an average of 13 GC per bribe (range 8 ~ 18, in my experience), one trip between my apartment and my classroom would buy me one extra life, easily.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff 7thCircle's Avatar
    Thanks... like I needed to be even more hyped about this game. Nocturne comparisons are always an excellent thing.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.

My game coins don't have anything else to do...so I guess I'll use them to bribe

Nice High Flight reference. I'm glad I have this pre-ordered. I still would've preferred a glossy console version, but I take my SMT where I can get it.

I guess I'll have to start saving coins or wait to play until I'm not hooked on spending my coins on in Streetpass Mii Plaza (*grumble* stupid duplicate pieces). Or hope Nintendo removes the 10 coin per day limit on what you can obtain. Of course there is ways to obtain more just by date manipulation, but I'm not interested in doing that.

Otherwise, the game sounds intriguing, thanks for the impression

Spoiler alerts D=

But, everything I read makes me suuuuuper excited.

Was that the plot Or am I just being messed up

Everything mentioned this impression is 100% true, but not necessarily as presented.

Also, I should mention that between points A and ᾯ are a few million other bits of plot that I didn't bother to mention.

Just had to check. I was reading and was waiting when the wink was coming. But it did not come

It certainly doesn't help that most of what I said could easily be fitted into the generic MegaTen mold for plotlines

Well, maybe not the evil clown mask... which is a surprisingly good piece of equipment, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    It certainly doesn't help that most of what I said could easily be fitted into the generic MegaTen mold for plotlines
    That was exactly what I was thinking while reading the impression. Anyway good impression and just could not stop after started reading. Luckily with my memory I have forgoten this generic Megaten plot when the game hits the shelves of old world.

While it's true that this is an SMT game and thus there will obviously be some kind of Law, Chaos, and Neural endings, I think I probably would have rather not known the general form the endings take until I actually got to them. I mean, it's not the end of the world, it just seems to kind weird to dedicate two paragraphs to stuff that skirts on edge of spoiler territory. Naturally I would have rather heard more detailed impressions on battle mechanics, level design, alignment system etc.

Unfortunately, the alignment system doesn't do much in this one. There are no limitations on recruitment or party formation due to alignment, though you'll have to buy a particular app in order to communicate with some of the funky language demons.

The levels are generally pretty well put together, enough so that one of my dream games would now be a MegaTen-Dragon's Dogma crossover to make the most of the parkour potential. It's tons better than the usual series "screensaver dungeon" crawl format.

Well, that sucks. Alignment was one of the few areas where Nocturne dropped the ball, so I was really hoping this game would iterate on the improvements they added to Strange Journey. SMTI/II were really quite ahead of their time in the extent alignment effected the game; by 1992 the Ultima series had practically dropped it, and it wasn't until Black Isles reinvented WRPGs in the late 90s that it became a "thing" again. From what I remember it affected not only the demons you could use but also where you could rest, what items you could equip, and at least a handful of boss fights. I also liked how alignment depended on more than just moral choices; you became more lawful/chaotic by summoning law/chaos demons, and less lawful/chaotic by killing them. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinMonogatari View Post
    The levels are generally pretty well put together, enough so that one of my dream games would now be a MegaTen-Dragon's Dogma crossover to make the most of the parkour potential. It's tons better than the usual series "screensaver dungeon" crawl format.
    More info, more info Is this tittle already high on your personal best games 2013 list?

Drav, if I had written this as a review, you can bet that I'd have a nice long paragraph dedicated to the loss of the alignment subsystems in later MegaTen titles. That's really about the only thing that disappointed me here.

Esuko, yes, this game is high on my list, though to be honest I haven't played that many new games this year. Counting in everything I've played.... well, it's hard to beat out Dragon Quest 7 and Dragon's Dogma, but all three are good for different reasons, so shall we say a three-way tie for first? Of course, I'm getting Atelier Eschatology later this week, and there's Pokemon X/Y in October, and supposedly a new Metal Max game on the horizon.... I'm just going to be happy this year