Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Staff Review - Time and Eternity

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Staff Review - Time and Eternity

Good friends tell their girlfriends when their fiancé is a sleazeball. However, when girlfriends choose to ignore this information, how can we have sympathy?

Review

Wow, that's quite bad. How did that manage to get a worse rating than all the Compile Heart games? Is it really even worse?

On a sidenote: Would you think male players would enjoy the game's story more? =p

Unsurprising! I can't understand how people would even look at the videos of this that were floating around before its Japanese release, see the whole five frames of walking animation for the main character, and think "Quality!" I mean, she runs like she's trying to keep a load from escaping into the back of her shorts.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Oh dear :-O

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    How did that manage to get a worse rating than all the Compile Heart games?
    *Cough cough*

Ok well not all of them, but Cross Edge and Neptunia aren't really better than Mugen Souls either. =p

Also after reading the review:
    Consistency in RPGs is exceptionally important
    Is that your personal opinion? Putting that as some kind of fact seems weird.

I for example like it when RPGs mix hard and easy battles together, so there is the element of surprise to it (and also --- knowing when to use strong magic and when to just use basic attacks adds to strategy). Of course with a battle system as in Time and Eternity there's no much reason to do something like this, since there won't be much strategy to it anyway. Was just surprised by such a general statement.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    There's also a reason certain Idea Factory/Compile Heart games don't have reviews.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar

Also after reading the review:

Is that your personal opinion? Putting that as some kind of fact seems weird.

I for example like it when RPGs mix hard and easy battles together, so there is the element of surprise to it (and also --- knowing when to use strong magic and when to just use basic attacks adds to strategy). Of course with a battle system as in Time and Eternity there's no much reason to do something like this, since there won't be much strategy to it anyway. Was just surprised by such a general statement.
    Rya, all reviews and their contents are a personal opinion.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Ok well not all of them, but Cross Edge and Neptunia aren't really better than Mugen Souls either. =p
    See, this kind of the issue with looking at one site's reviews as one giant collection instead of individual reviews but a bunch of different people. I've never played Neptunia, I have no idea if it's better or not so I'm not sure what comparing that review to mine accomplishes :P.

Back to Time and Eternity : OH DEAR

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Wow, that's quite bad. How did that manage to get a worse rating than all the Compile Heart games? Is it really even worse?

On a sidenote: Would you think male players would enjoy the game's story more? =p
    It sounds like the game is equally offensive towards men and women. Not to mention that one's gender shouldn't make a difference in whether one is disgusted by degrading stereotypes. I have XX chromosomes, but I am disgusted by stereotypes that portray men as drooling idiots who only care about sports and/or sex, just as plenty of men are disgusted by degrading portrayals of women.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I've said this time and time again, but I'll say it yet again.

Why Imageepoch? Why?
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

It's a shame this game turned out to be a disaster... I thought the concept was pretty interesting when I first heard about it, and the art's nice.

I feel like 1/5 is too harsh for the music, though. I mean, Yuzo Koshiro! I rather liked what I've heard of the OST. I can see how experiencing it in the context of the game could drag it down, though.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    as good as yuzo can get, there's only like 4 tracks for this game. they get old. fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Minneyar View Post
    It's a shame this game turned out to be a disaster... I thought the concept was pretty interesting when I first heard about it, and the art's nice.

I feel like 1/5 is too harsh for the music, though. I mean, Yuzo Koshiro! I rather liked what I've heard of the OST. I can see how experiencing it in the context of the game could drag it down, though.
    Sometimes hearing the music and then hearing it in proper context can change the entire outlook of that music. If lets say a happy go lucky song is playing during a very emotional charged screen, like a characters death scene. That would impact on the music because not just for choice but it's context has now changed and seems out of place.

I gotta say the conept idea behind this was interesting however the trailer shown during Japandemnium made me realize this was going to be a terrible game at least artistically
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    It sounds like the game is equally offensive towards men and women. Not to mention that one's gender shouldn't make a difference in whether one is disgusted by degrading stereotypes. I have XX chromosomes, but I am disgusted by stereotypes that portray men as drooling idiots who only care about sports and/or sex, just as plenty of men are disgusted by degrading portrayals of women.
    Dunno, I think there are notable differences between the taste of men and women that can't really be denied. Out of the same reason Manga is categorizes into "For men" and "For women". There's no point tryng to equalize everything.

But you are right in that there will always be exceptions.

What a shame. I feel sorry for the people who had to localize this epic fail.

I'm also disappointed with how this game turned out. The trailers made it sound interesting. But seeing how Nyx suffered through this one, I wouldn't bother with it.

I guess it was at least nominated as being among the worst RPGs (ever? of the year?) in Japan when it came out. I'm rather shocked it got localized in the first place.

And I gotta agree with Rya. Men and women are equal under the law, but we ARE different psychologically and physiologically. I don't particularly like being told what I should and should not be offended by. There are plenty of things I'm deeply offended by that are considered just fine by a lot of others even in this community, and vice versa.

As a man though I uniquely enjoy female manga more so then male based ones
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Laughed out loud at the review score. I was truly hoping the game would be good. For some reason it reminded me of an old Saturn title with nice, crisp art. Even if it were good in every other category though I can't really get past fan-service. Oh well.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    And I gotta agree with Rya. Men and women are equal under the law, but we ARE different psychologically and physiologically. I don't particularly like being told what I should and should not be offended by. There are plenty of things I'm deeply offended by that are considered just fine by a lot of others even in this community, and vice versa.
    Scientifically we're FAR more alike than different both psyciologically and psychologically, but that's a conversation for a different time. I wasn't trying to tell anybody what they should or shoudln't be offended by, although I'd like to think that most people prefer characters that aren't mostly a collection of negative stereotypes. I was trying to say that it's completely irrelevant to ask whether "men" would enjoy a game's story more than "women," especially when you're talking to a woman who found a game's characters to be degrading. That's like saying, "Well, you ladies don't like being degraded, but maybe men would like to see you being degraded?"

Not only did this reviewer (and she's far from the only one, as I've seen the same opinion from a number of men and women who have played the game in either Japanese or English) find the portrayal of both the male and female characters to be degrading, the idea that having a ***** (edit: hey, I didn't use a bad word, I used the anatomical one!) automatically causes you to be more ok with a story that stars a man who is portrayed as a sex-crazed jerk and a woman (I'll just go with the singular here) who is portrayed as foolish, naive, and ok with that man being a sex-crazed jerk is ludicrious. Some people might be ok with this and/or find it funny, I don't know. But if I were a man, the inference that I should be more inclined to be ok with it would be offensive to me.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

i wasn't sure about this game at one point. It looked interesting and different....Then I saw the english trailer for it and, well, I became pretty sure. This game looked like it would be trash and I think most people who played it think it is. So, that's that, I suppose.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D