Thread: Xboned 2: The Revengeance - Currents

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar

Xboned 2: The Revengeance - Currents

In this issue of Currents, Xbox One is still having PR problems, Nintendo walks alone, OUYA gets kicked out of an E3 parking lot, and Final Fantasy VII looks sexy with mods. Oh, and people are still talking about used games.

CURRENTS
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

Some ex-MS employees have said MS threw together the X1 almost at the last minute. Its development was very rushed. Maybe they expected Sony to go with all of the rumours and figured they could do the same with whatever hardware they created and make money. Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure Sony planned this. They dropped some rumours, revealed their unfinished console early to get MS to tip their hand, and basically used MS' mistakes to determine their real policy.
    Of course, I'm sure Sony's troubles also helped encourage them to go with a more competitive approach.

Oh, and don't knock a guy trying to encourage the industry to add more replayability to games. There's a point where opinion crosses the line to nit-picking. So what if some people trade their games because they don't like it or they're just too casual to see any value in keeping a game for the long term? The guy is still right.

As for the Half-Life 3 and L4D3 rumours...well, we saw a case go to trial over nothing more than a few pieces of concept art being considered "work". They could draw some pictures on a napkin and call that "development in progress".

The "too short" argument is an interesting one regarding trading in games. I don't have any links to sources or anything, but I thought I read awhile back that only a small fraction of gamers ever finish the games in the first place. In that case, its not adding replayability to the game, but making it entertaining enough to get the player to even bother finishing it to begin with. It seems like the most successful types of games on modern systems are the online games, like Call of Duty or Halo, where every match is different, there is no definitive end to the story, and there is a community built up around it. Most of those players never even touch the single player mode. Unfortunately, that seems like an argument in favor of tacked on multiplayer, which is probably why so many games have that "feature".

The whole used game market is a really tricky conversation. I'm all up for finding a solution, as long as it doesn't treat the consumer like a criminal. For me, I never buy used unless the game simply isn't available new. The money SHOULD go to the developer when possible. But I buy new, cheaply- either on sale or after price drops. I hope they find a good way to disincentivize used games without being jerks about it, at least for a reasonable length of time and without violating the right of first-sale. I actually liked the online pass approach, but I think it wasn't quite right yet. Either that, or going the steam route and make everything digital only, and then first-sale no longer applies (and many people are used to that model already). I'm convinced Microsoft could have avoided the entire issue if they didn't bother to have the optical drive at all.

Regarding FF7 mods, I'm very hopeful some clever Japanese modder will find a way to hack a job system into the game and replace materia altogether. Just for kicks.

Hmmm, with any luck, this new wave of mods still work on the crusty old PC versions of FFVII of yore. I still have mine lying around...somewhere.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Those mods...THOSE MODS! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! *faints*

This is yet another reason why I love the PC gaming community...you guys are awesome.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

That Tifa's Package mod looks great

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Whoever did that Final Fantasy VII "voiceover" mod should have called up RPGamer's JCServant to do his patented Aeris voice. The graphical enhancements are pretty neat, though, especially the ones that replace the models.

I agree with smacd that the used game market is a toughie. I believe strongly in the right of first sale, but I despise the way that Gamestop abuses that right to an almost equal degree. It really grinds my garters when a Gamestop manager harangues everyone in line with, "I don't want your money, I want your GAMES!", when the company intentionally keeps new game orders as low as possible, and how the stores are now stocking new and used in the same place, with the used games in front of the new. The company maximizes its profits at the expense of the game industry, but game publishers rely on Gamestop too much to admit that it, not used game sales in general, is the problem.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Games NEED an end. Seriously. Sure there are some games that are so amazing that I wished they'd never end, but there are also many many that you quit and then you are frustrated because you'd like to see the story through the end (but don't want to PLAY it anymore).

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Considering how far we are from digital only (I LOL at people acting like its a foregone conclusion that only an idiot would contest), the only solution to used gaming that doesn't involve pissing off gamers and alienating mainstream consumers is the Nintendo/2K route: make better games. This may be making a game longer, or making the mechanics so fun that people wanna keep replaying it after it ends, or making a story that people want to revisit years later.

Cliffy B, as I said over on the Xbox One thread, can go straight to hell, not pass go and not collect $200.

And good on Nintendo for not caring what MS or Sony do. It's pretty clear that Nintendo will never "win" a contest against the other two, so it's better off focusing on its own growth than trying to compare sizes. Nintendo's product is different enough that they can have their own market alongside being a secondary console for people who favor one of the other two. Once the games come out, the Wii U will be fine.

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Thank you very much for the piece on Legacy of Kain. No really, thank you. As you can tell from my signature I am a fan of the series and any new information is greatly appreciated.
    I honestly never new the game went through that much. Just Wow more canceled entries than actual entries. I am really bummed the new game got canceled as well. I really wanted to see an end to the story since every entry, except the original Blood Omen, ended with a form of "To Be Continued". If any game deserves a reboot it is this one. But alas, oh well, that is my opinion. Again thank you for that information.
    Kain: "Conscience...? You dare speak to me of conscience? Only when you have felt the full gravity of choice should you dare to question my judgment!"

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    What better way to differentiate themselves than by going gorilla with their PR efforts?
    Was that a Donkey Kong reference or did you just misspell guerrilla?
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I'd say I missed that while proofing, but I'd rather post this proof of gorilla marketing tactics:

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff InstaTrent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    HA! Totally missed that. What a happy accident.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    Maybe Nintendo's in Paris?

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.