Thread: Platforms & the Industry - Indie Corner

Platforms & the Industry - Indie Corner

New console hype is in full swing right now, but where do indie games fit in this shifting paradigm? We have the answer directly from the developers here.

Column
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Great column! Also a good reminder that I need to look into buying some indie games for my Vita when I have a bit more money

Confirms what I've been saying for a while.

Very interesting read. I'd like to hear more about why Two Brothers had trouble with the 360 development, but is considering PS3. I've heard that the PS3 was more difficult to design for than the 360. I'm pretty disappointed that their current target platforms don't include any systems I game on, and neither do their potential systems at this point.

One thing I sometimes wonder is - why do people NOT release their game for the PC? I saw very many cases where the way the game was programmed, it could be easily available for PC, yet you can only get it on iOS, XBLIG and PSN, why?

Also I really hope indie developers will NOT move to handhelds. They are my last hope after all (next to Ouya).

Every developer except one in this feature is planning a PC release, so...
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

If you need an example, for example the Impossible Game. The game also runs on PC, they even have a demo for the PC which proves it. However the full game can't be purchased for PC.

Dude, they tried.

Although I'm not sure why they don't just make it available for download from their own website.

Yeah I wouldn't get it from steam anyway (I avoid data crawlers like that). Just release it yourself on your website, payment via PayPal, done.

Yeah I wouldn't get it from steam anyway (I avoid data crawlers like that)
    Well, there's your problem!

There's Desura. I think it's pretty easy to get onto if you're a developer. They don't introduce their own DRM like Steam does. They have a download manager like Steam does (it ensures your game is up-to-date at all times).
    However, it has far less customers than Steam (this is big).
    Steam doesn't insist that developers not sell their games through other services (to my knowledge), so there's no reason not to put a game on Desura, unless you're afraid of piracy (as Steam does have DRM).

Anyway, a lot of good indie games are on Desura that are not on Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by flamethrower View Post
    Steam doesn't insist that developers not sell their games through other services (to my knowledge), so there's no reason not to put a game on Desura, unless you're afraid of piracy (as Steam does have DRM).
    There's a great reason to not put your game on Desura if you're on Steam - it's more trouble than it's worth. It might be different for games that aren't on Steam, but my experience has been that nobody buys games on Desura. If you exclude Indie Royale (which uses Desura), we've gotten next to nothing from any of our games on Desura.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.

Some of those might be worth checking out.

Speaking of indie RPGs, anyone see this? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...s?ref=category
    I might support my first kickstarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    Yeah I wouldn't get it from steam anyway (I avoid data crawlers like that). Just release it yourself on your website, payment via PayPal, done.
    Before you quote how "easy" that is, try actually looking into what it takes to set up such a system. Secure payments are anything but easy.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpalicious View Post
    Some of those might be worth checking out.

Speaking of indie RPGs, anyone see this? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...s?ref=category
    I might support my first kickstarter.
    Yep, this one has been brought to our attention and we'll be putting up our first news article about it today.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance