Thread: Soul Saga Fully Funded on Kickstarter

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Soul Saga Fully Funded on Kickstarter

This JRPG-inspired game has the opportunity to come to life thanks to the magic of crowdfunding. The adventures of the warrior Mithos, his engineer buddy Elise, and other companions is coming to various platforms in July 2014.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I don't usually pay attention to KickStarter projects, but this game looks promising. It's one of only two that I've backed ($15 for the Wii U key).
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

It's awesome to see JRPG fans take the initiative. I'm not a big fan of the voice work, though.

I did $25 for the Vita/PS4 & PC (hoping this gets greenlit on Steam)

Looks like it could be fun.
    Kain: "Conscience...? You dare speak to me of conscience? Only when you have felt the full gravity of choice should you dare to question my judgment!"

For one brief moment i thought we might be seeing a new SaGa game.
    Then my heart sank as i realized this is not that.
    Hurray for kickstarter though. I like the art style in the screens.

The game seems to have some promising concepts and features (particularly the combat sounds good), but also takes a lot of the most tired cliches from JRPGs. A young cocky male protagonist with daddy issues. I've never seen that before. Also, do we really need an intro with a J-Pop tune? How many JRPG fans actually like J-Pop? That's one thing I think I can do without. Then there's the voice-acting, which sounds like the most generic JRPG / anime voice-acting ever. I don't really care for the in game character models, but the footage is pre-alpha and the creator said a big part of the point of kickstarter is to improve the art so I can give them a pass for that. Despite sounding like I'm hating on this, I've actually been considering backing it. I just have this will feeling someone is trying too hard to imitate a classic JRPG, rather than making a good RPG in it's own right. And despite mentioning Persona, Suikoden, and Breath of Fire, it's looking like 99.9% of it's influences are Final Fantasy.
    Last edited by daveyd; 06-29-2013 at 09:16 AM.

At least the hero doesn't have amnesia.
    I hope this game is successful when its released.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
    The game seems to have some promising concepts and features (particularly the combat sounds good), but also takes a lot of the most tired cliches from JRPGs. A young cocky male protagonist with daddy issues. I've never seen that before. Also, do we really need an intro with a J-Pop tune? How many JRPG fans actually like J-Pop? That's one thing I think I can do without. Then there's the voice-acting, which sounds like the most generic JRPG / anime voice-acting ever. I don't really care for the in game character models, but the footage is pre-alpha and the creator said a big part of the point of kickstarter is to improve the art so I can give them a pass for that. Despite sounding like I'm hating on this, I've actually been considering backing it. I just have this will feeling someone is trying too hard to imitate a classic JRPG, rather than making a good RPG in it's own right. And despite mentioning Persona, Suikoden, and Breath of Fire, it's looking like 99.9% of it's influences are Final Fantasy.
    Well aren't you just a negative Nancy :P

All kidding aside, I see your point, however you can't really expect one guy to nail innovation on every branch of a game. Also, personally, I like most aspects of what I have seen so far and I think it will be good for the JRPG niche of North America for this to be successful. Saying that, I think your points are certainly valid if this was an actual company of experienced designers, but sometimes it's just nice to get something that's been done before, but done really really well. I hope Mike is successful in this but who knows? Only time will tell.

*crosses fingers*

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    I agree that some parts of the game are too cliche for my liking and borrow a bit too heavily from other games. I'm not super-keen on Mithos and Elise as they're presented in text so far, although I did like the humour between them in the pitch video. Do we really need another abrasive hero and his female friend who harbours a secret love for him? ::

The quality of the Kickstarter pitch, however, is quite good, especially for a one-man studio. I'm always more interested in Kickstarters (especially from new and unproven developers) for which a decent amount of game material has already been made, showing that the creators not only have a good idea, but the skills and dedication to carry it through. Anybody can "maek poast" about their awesome game idea, but not everybody can make a solid proof of concept like this and line up the kind of extra talent that this Kickstarter has done. Even if the voice actors sound a bit "generic anime," how many Kickstarter pitches have you seen that even have the voice actors involved? That's the sort of thing that impressed me about this pitch.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

I'm glad this got funded. I hope the vita version has cross play.

If I was planning on backing this, and I'm not, I'd be asking him what state the game is currently in and a full breakdown of where the money is going to go. If he currently doesn't have a lot more than the stuff he showed off in the trailer (a few levels, a half-dozen character models, proof-of-concept combat) I'd be extremely skeptical of this being finished in a year, or ever. A 15-20-hour 3D JRPG is unfathomably ambitious for one full-time programmer + contract (ie not full-time) artists.

Trailer does look nice, agree about the voices but not the worst I've heard either. I'll wait for a review, and hope the backers are not dissapointed.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    I have to say it's cute... I won't make any pre-judgements about the game until I see some gameplay. It will come down to characters, battle system, and customization to see if I am actually interested in it.

I wish him luck

At least the music is in good hands, this I can guaranteed. Aivi Tran contributed a couple tracks to the A'deo Chronicle/Project VGM soundtrack. Check them out at the link in my sig, both are excellent. She's also a very gifted pianist.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Oh wow, that's pretty neat, Jormungand. I do like her pieces "Thena" and "Duke Moira."
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    I agree that some parts of the game are too cliche for my liking and borrow a bit too heavily from other games. I'm not super-keen on Mithos and Elise as they're presented in text so far, although I did like the humour between them in the pitch video. Do we really need another abrasive hero and his female friend who harbours a secret love for him? ::

The quality of the Kickstarter pitch, however, is quite good, especially for a one-man studio. I'm always more interested in Kickstarters (especially from new and unproven developers) for which a decent amount of game material has already been made, showing that the creators not only have a good idea, but the skills and dedication to carry it through. Anybody can "maek poast" about their awesome game idea, but not everybody can make a solid proof of concept like this and line up the kind of extra talent that this Kickstarter has done. Even if the voice actors sound a bit "generic anime," how many Kickstarter pitches have you seen that even have the voice actors involved? That's the sort of thing that impressed me about this pitch.

Oh yeah, I can't deny that he's done a lot of impressive things for a one person studio. I guess this game probably just isn't for me... Even the name sounds too much like a generic JRPG. I'm actually a lot more interested in the less flashy Kickstarter project for The Great Gaias which is more of an "old school" 16-bit JRPG style. Unfortunately, it seems to be struggling.. perhaps it has been overshadowed by the Soul Saga campaign.
    Last edited by daveyd; 06-30-2013 at 06:28 PM.