Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feature - The Perfect Pair

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Feature - The Perfect Pair

Friendships and romances are the theme of this feature. Check out RPGamer's "Perfect Pairs," and watch out for all the Jensen and Pritchard yaoi in your search engines.

Feature!

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar
    Where are me and Anna!

Yeah, I don't get why so many people have problems with Grandia 2. I loved the story, and it wasn't plagued with craploads of filler (and horrid music) the original was. Granted, it wasn't as charming, so maybe that's it. Anyway, it's been a long time, but I remember enjoying the interaction between the characters.

Can't say I agree with Hix and Tengaar though. She just struck me as high maintenance. Someone like her would drive me nuts.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 06-28-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Yeah, I don't get why so many people have problems with Grandia 2. I loved the story, and it wasn't plagued with craploads of filler (and horrid music) the original was. Granted, it wasn't as charming, so maybe that's it. Anyway, it's been a long time, but I remember enjoying the interaction between the characters.

Can't say I agree with Hix and Tengaar though. She just struck me as high maintenance. Someone like her would drive me nuts.
    Honestly, I just thought Hix and Tengaar were funny. I don't think anyone could marry someone like her.

I don't find Hix and Tengaar as a "perfect pair" but they are certainly interesting. My perfect pair from the Suikoden series is probably Flik and Viktor. How Viktor gets Flik to "man up" in Suikoden I and their life partnership ways in Suikoden II are just so classic, and they also have some hilarious bath scripts.

Ryudo/Elena/Millenia is certainly a great choice. I don't remember much of the plot details of Grandia 2, but their relationship was definitely the highlight.

This feature seemed pretty romance-focused and it feels like many RPGs spend a lot more effort trying to develop a romance and leave friendships as an after thought. Childhood buddies seem to be left at home as the protagonist goes out on a journey and meets the most interesting person to him/her who is usually someone of the opposite gender. Or the childhood buddy of the opposite gender tags along and is in love with the protagonist and not much else really important about them. That's why I enjoyed the friendships between Shulk and Reyn (Xenoblade) and Luke and Guy (Tales of the Abyss), even if they maybe don't quite reach "perfect".

Anyway, for another "perfect pair", I nominate Luke and Tear (Tales of the Abyss). Mostly Tear for being perfect for Luke more than the other way around, but I suppose Luke has his good points or is gaining them pretty quickly.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    This feature was generally romance-focused at the outset, but Nyx opened it up to non-romantic pairs because some of us were interested in writing about such pairings. It's just a sampling of the many lovers and friends we could have written about, so we're more than happy to hear everybody else's favourite RPG pairings!

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Laharl and Flonne! The love obsessed angel bent on making a demon lord accept love. Sure, she's kinda.....silly, but the whole game is. Who would have thought that she would help him get over the pain of his mother sacrificing herself. Dunno if spoiler is necessary for that old of a game, but hey, why not.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Sadly, Ditto and Everything That Moves (And Some That Don't) would've been too much, even for this feature. :P
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Ingway and Mercedes come to mind as one not mentioned too often. They don't spend that much time together, but they have a profound influence on one another, and the interwoven nature of the narrative makes their star-crossed relationship stand out.

Obligitory SRW response:

Kusuha Mizuha & Brooklyn "Bullet" Luckfield

While Kyosuke & Excellen might be the obvious choice from the OGverse, the tale of how a nurse and test pilot go on to pilot ancient chinese mecha against ancient evils is far more entertaining.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabin1001 View Post
    Where are me and Anna!
    On vacation while this was being written.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    Sadly, Ditto and Everything That Moves (And Some That Don't) would've been too much, even for this feature. :P
    Just one of the many reasons that my wonderful Imposter Ditto "Likewise" will be following me to every pokemon game after Black 2 where I caught him.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Genji Glove + Offering.

Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff noodle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    On vacation while this was being written.
    true that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    Genji Glove + Offering.
    Ha, nice. If we are allowed to take poetic license with the feature's title, how about Tifa. Just Tifa.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Nekobasu's Avatar
    I was going to write something about Ferid & Arshtat from Suikoden V and Mia & Nash from Lunar:SSSC. Then I didn't. I lieu of an apology, I offer a short verse on the topic:

The power of love is a curious thing;
    make a one man weep, make another man sing.
    Change a hawk to a little white dove,
    more than a feeling: that's the power of love.

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    Gwendolyn and Oswald; the Valkyrie and the Black Swordsman.

They meet as mortal enemies, and their romance blossoms against the backdrop of the end of the world. (I really hope Vanillaware will one day give us another story like that).

The article has me really looking forward to Symphonia-HD. (Junpei and Chidori was a nice pick, too.)

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    Just one of the many reasons that my wonderful Imposter Ditto "Likewise" will be following me to every pokemon game after Black 2 where I caught him.
    Him, her, it...Ditto can be whatever you want it to be!

Though I am baffled and slightly disturbed by how it aids in the reproduction of male-only Pokemon...

Quote Originally Posted by ironmage View Post
    The article has me really looking forward to Symphonia-HD. (Junpei and Chidori was a nice pick, too.)
    The original Symphonia has many pairings, but other than very strong hints, the relationships don't go all that far. It's another reason that Emil and Marta surprised me. It's not just hints, strong or otherwise; it's a more obvious romance.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

New Member Member tsubakisamurai's Avatar
    I had a few characters pop into my head as soon as I read this article. The first was Shun Akiyama and Hana from Yakuza 4. I love both of those characters and in particular I enjoy the way they interact with one another. They did a great job of showing how sometimes friends need space in order to grow. Shun and Hana were definitely guilty of leaning on each other a bit too much, but the ultimate twist is that the overly confident and aloof Shun needed Hana a hell of a lot more than she needed him!

My second choice is from my all-time favorite rpg ever, Dragon Quest 5. It doesn't matter which bride you choose for the Hero, it is arguably the most well crafted love story of the 16 bit era. On my first play through I chose Bianca, and I throughly enjoyed how the game handled the arc of their relationship. From the early childhood friendship sparked by exploring a haunted mansion to juggling saving the world and keeping their family together, I really think Dragon Quest 5 does a fantastic job of driving home the concept of "'til death do us part."

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    Him, her, it...Ditto can be whatever you want it to be!

Though I am baffled and slightly disturbed by how it aids in the reproduction of male-only Pokemon...

The original Symphonia has many pairings, but other than very strong hints, the relationships don't go all that far. It's another reason that Emil and Marta surprised me. It's not just hints, strong or otherwise; it's a more obvious romance.
    ToS arguably has more strong friendships than romances. There are a ton of relationship dynamics at play in that game. Lloyd and Zelos comes to mind, Mithos and Genis, Kratos and Yuan. Then there's obvious romantic ones like Lloyd and Colette (and Sheena if you want to get triangley), Genis and Presea, Regal and Alicia. There's a ton of familial or paternal/maternal bonds at play as well - Genis and Marble, Genis and Raine, Kratos, Dirk, and Lloyd, Mithos and Martel, Altessa and Tabitha. The game really has a lot going on when you really dig into it.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!