Thread: Impressions from Nintendo's Summer Press Event

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Impressions from Nintendo's Summer Press Event

Nintendo's Summer and Fall are shaping up to have some amazing titles. While RPGamer may not be covering the Wonderful 101, we may in fact have some wonderfully 101 impressions of Nintendo's upcoming RPG line-up.

Impressions, ho!

I have Zelda and Dream Team pre-ordered thanks to the little Futureshop E3 thing they had going. I have high hopes for Link Between Worlds.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    An extra note to Super Mario 3D World: I found multiplayer in this game WAY more fun than it is in the 2D games. Just having the extra space to run around means it's easier to play without getting in each others' way too much. Of course, we then spent half the time getting in each other's way on purpose. ("Becky's tiny, TOSS HER!") I'm a lot more excited about this one after having had the opportunity to play it.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Should I be surprised that they didn't have Pokemon XY at this event?

I've already got Dream Team and Link Between Worlds on preorder, though... my body is ready.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    Should I be surprised that they didn't have Pokemon XY at this event?
    Does any promotion need to be done for a new pokémon, though? will previews sell any more copies than just the power of pokeymans.

Well, to be completely honest, the only way I would not buy Pokemon X and Y is if they don't release it in English. I may be incorrect in my assumption, but I'm fairly certain that's the same for most of the English speaking Pokemon world. There may be some on-the-fencers who haven't played a Pokemon game because they just got their 3DS for Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing that may sit back and wait for more info/media, but Nintendo already knows that they have lots of money just waiting to be scooped up in October.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D

Pokemon X/Y wasn't at this event because Nintendo tends to have separate, Pokemon-only events which are not press-exclusive. Nintendo knows it doesn't really need the help of the press to sell Pokeymans.

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    Pokemon X/Y wasn't at this event because Nintendo tends to have separate, Pokemon-only events which are not press-exclusive. Nintendo knows it doesn't really need the help of the press to sell Pokeymans.
    Plus they tend to keep Pokemon news close to the chest. Don't want too much info on the new critters to leak out, they gotta let that info release slooooowly.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Glad to hear you guys weren't let down by Dream Team. The Mario & Luigi RPGs always tend to be wholesome fun, and I'm happy to hear they are staying the course. Nintendo games are an odd breed for me, in that there are some titles I desperately want change in, like Pokemon (X and Y looks like things are moving in a positive direction), while others such as Paper Mario I simply want to continue having more of the same.

Link Between Worlds is also interesting, in that this is the first time I'm legitimately excited for a Zelda. Besides LTTP, most of them have just been kind of ho-hum to me, so its really cool to see them returning to the style of my favorite Zelda. Guess you could say I'm similar to Nyx when it comes to the series. Most of them I haven't completed due to boredom like Majora's Mask or Twilight Princess, but Skyward Sword did manage to hold me over all the way to the end.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

*sigh* I'll never get the Pokemon addiction. One game was okay, but it just gets old.

Anyway, A Link Between Worlds looks like my kind of Zelda game. Too bad it's for a system that I have no intention to own. But hey, it's Zelda, it will get ported eventually.

I love you too, Scott.

And I actually came out of the event worried that the 3D World multiplayer would be more claustrophobic. But that could be because I played with a stranger who ran ahead as Toad in a cat suit, and even when trying my hardest to catch up (as a veteran Mario gamer), I fell off the edge of the screen. But yes, Wind Waker is easily the best-looking Wii U game. Which I suppose is a little sad, but it's also very exciting to play.

Yeah, it's a bit too easy to get behind in 3D World multiplayer, which can lead to situations in which you literally can't pop your bubble and re-join the active players, because you'll just end up falling to your doom. I'll agree that there are weaknesses in the multiplayer, but I enjoyed it more than 2D multiplayer anyway.

It's just bad etiquette for Toad players to run ahead like that. Toad is literally faster than the other characters, so that's why you couldn't catch up.

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    I love you too, Scott.

And I actually came out of the event worried that the 3D World multiplayer would be more claustrophobic. But that could be because I played with a stranger who ran ahead as Toad in a cat suit, and even when trying my hardest to catch up (as a veteran Mario gamer), I fell off the edge of the screen. But yes, Wind Waker is easily the best-looking Wii U game. Which I suppose is a little sad, but it's also very exciting to play.
    Clearly you should have played 3D World with us. It really does have a lot of elements that ask you to work together, or when in doubt, have someone screw up first so you learn what NOT to do. I think multiplayer experiences like the one we had with Mario 3D World really will vary -- I think playing it with friends it's a bit easier to rein them in and say "HEY. SLOW DOWN" or "QUICK! Pick up, Becky!" I think it will always boil down to who you are playing with. I'll be playing with a six year old, which means I will have the same experience you had with your stranger!

Then again, as we've learned, RPGamer team building exercises are really just opportunities to be loving jerks at each other. See Code of Princess impressions from Run to the Sun last year.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    I honestly can't seem to get very excited for Link Between Worlds, Ocarina of Time 3D had me excited for a unique 3D Zelda on 3DS. Oh well, pretty excited for everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I honestly can't seem to get very excited for Link Between Worlds, Ocarina of Time 3D had me excited for a unique 3D Zelda on 3DS. Oh well, pretty excited for everything else.
    I...just. Um.. yeah.

meaning-of-yin-yang-symbol.jpg
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Oh god A Link Between Worlds... UGHHH. I absolutely cannot wait!!!

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Quote Originally Posted by Macstorm View Post
    I...just. Um.. yeah.

meaning-of-yin-yang-symbol.jpg
    I prefer Ocarina-style to LttP-style, but I absolutely think that LttP-style is the way to go on the 3DS. It would get too saturated too fast if both the handheld and console space made the same type of Zelda game.

I agree 100% with Ethos, although I'm warming up to the top-down style while playing through the Oracle games. I think I like it a lot better now that we have analog stick instead of D-Pad controls. Feels a lot more responsive to me.