Thread: Saving Throw Review - Shadowrun Fifth Edition

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar

Talking Saving Throw Review - Shadowrun Fifth Edition

Upon reflection, Shadowrun's cyborg elves or the corporate-funded sorcerers that strain the reader's sense of disbelief most, but the complete lack of West Coast hipsterism. Perhaps the eventual 6th Edition can truly capture the true feel of technology infused Seattle.

TLDR: it's still Shadowrun, but slightly better

I kind of feel like you're scoring the book.. but talking about the game system.
    Maybe your target audience won't make this mistake, but I read it thinking you were grading the game system, but you're reviewing the book?? (Because you talk a lot about the layout, background before character stuff... artwork, etc. Maybe title it that way so that's more clear?
    Am I'm wrong?

i get handed an entire product, i review an entire product.

Thumbs down Questionable

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl Sorcerous View Post
    i get handed an entire product, i review an entire product.
    I have to say that while I found this review insightful and well written, your scoring damages your write up. 1's? Really? I can see a dislike for the game setting but tossing it down a hole because it's not your cup of tea is rather petulant. But that's no where near as silly as your scoring for the art work. You've given the art a 1.5. On a scale of 1-20, 1.5 should be reserved for those indie RPGs where the budget was so small they had a friend do some scribbles to fill page space. You're really going to grade the art of Michael Komarck (for example) as a horrible failure? Respectfully (and I DO mean this respectfully, I do), your rating of this review hurts your credibility as a reviewer. It degrades all the interesting insights you had in your review and tells the reader you have some kind of bias in which case, it can't be trusted as a solid review. I'm not saying a reviewer can escape bias, but letting it inform the grading is a mistake. I can't stand Man of Steel, but I would never say the special effects are a "1". As for your distaste of the setting, again... a 1? Really? A 1. Shadowrun. You think Shadowrun, a game that's endured since 1989 and that has secured a loyal fan base for over a decade, is a "truly horrible failure" with regards to its game setting? I'm not saying popularity should dictate quality, but perhaps you should reconsider what a "truly horrible failure" actually means.

I'm sorry but I don't understand the review.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

1. we grade from one to 5, Lyder.
    2. LK, that comment doesn't help.
    3. comments from latest updates are like fish and houseguests, they start to smell after a while. no necromancy.