Thread: RPGCast - Episode 270: "We're Back!"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 270: "We're Back!"

RPGCast - Episode 270: "We're Back!"

Hear about the RPGamer wedding of the decade, the honeymoon, oh and some show called E3. Manny and Scott join Anna Marie and Chris as they catch up on the past month.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/270

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "We're Back!"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

What a great show, and welcome back Chris and Anna .
    Nice to see the embarassing colonial past never gets old. Manny, above and beyond the call of duty, your herculean efforts at E3 will not be forgotten or your hilarious, various, parodies of Advance War dialogue. Until now, I never realised that "pawned" was pronounced "poned" or at least that's what I thought I understood.
    The peculiar and wacky world of non-intentional Japananese non-political correctness is another area that never gets boring, whether it be "Ah Mariooooooo here, nice to meet you princess...Frank, you from Canadia no?" or the innocent dress up game in Yakuza? that turns into a sleazy exploitative champagne sucker racket.
    The notes about Canadian-American hostilities reminds me of a South Park Episode. I am very excited now about Project X-zone,I was a huge fan of the super robot wars cross over game I don't know when I'll get it though, being in Scotland.
    It's great to hear Scott, again is extremely welcome, having another two Canadians seem to increase the banter funnieness ratio,although I notice Quinn is missing! I seem to miss his sarcastic quips.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I notice Quinn is missing! I seem to miss his sarcastic quips
    Sadly, this cast was recorded early in the morning for me, and while I think I could have managed to stay awake despite being shattered, my partner was already asleep and I'd have woken him up.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Welcome back! I know I missed you !!

Greetings,

I've been a reader of the site for some time, but this is my first post on the forums, as well as my first time listening to the RPGCast. If all of the episodes are this good, I'm upset that I didn't start sooner! I loved every moment of it, from the stories about E3 to the news to the digressions into classic cartoons and Disney's video club, and the extremely entertaining banter throughout.

Congratulations also to Chris and Anna! That wedding sounded spectacular, and I loved the honeymoon stories as well. Very much looking forward to the next episode.

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Welcome, Wendriel! I'm not a staff member but also having become an instant fan of this podcast as you have, I'd like to be the first to welcome you to the community.

PS4 is a 7970M with 2 fewer GPU CU's. (18 instead of 20)

You can't get a 7970M for desktop PCs, it's a laptop graphics chip, but it should be relatively similar to a 7870 desktop card in performance. (It's somewhere between the 7850 and 7870, but with more memory than either of them, so around $200-250 worth of PC video card.)
    Last edited by kazriko; 07-09-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff Fowl Sorcerous's Avatar
    that's probably what i was thinking about, thanks.

Entertaining show as always. I didn't get a chance to listen to the (Not)RPGcast episode Scott hosted until the other day, so I listened to both episodes back-to-back. Both were great . . . please make an effort as possible to get some of those people on RPGcast at least once in a while.

Like Anna, I'm racing through Soul Hackers trying to finish it in time for the SMT IV release. I hacked the difficulty up, but also turned on the "save anywhere" option, which just eliminates egregious amounts of backtracking after the occasional unexpected death. I know some would claim that a save point system is part of what makes the game challenging and that to stay true to the original experience, you shouldn't have the option to save any time you want, but IMO, it's just a quality-of-life improvement that I've always been accustomed to. (I got seriously into RPGs, and video games in general, back in the heyday of the Infinity Engine games from Bioware and Black Isle, so that's where my viewpoint on this originates from.) Thankfully, SMT IV lets you save anywhere by default.

I'm enjoying Soul Hackers a lot more than I expected to after really disliking the battle systems in the PSP re-releases of Persona 1&2. I think the lack of a kind of grid-based set-up (like in Persona 1&2) helps a lot. Even though the systems are actually very similar, battles just feel more intuitive in Soul Hackers, while remaining deep and engaging. The fact that certain demons don't always follow your commands in battle initially caught me off-guard, but it actually lends the battle system more depth and complexity as you have to plan for the possibility that things won't necessarily play out the way you expect them to.

Anyway, welcome back Chris and Anna, and contgrats on the wedding. Hearing your stories of the wedding and honeymoon was fun, especially when juxtaposed against Manny's E3 experiences.

Thanks Azilis! I was actually concerned about Soul Hackers because it reminds me a lot of EO, which I found frustrating -- it was my testing ground because if I didn't like it, I was going to cancel my pre order for SMT IV. I have the P1&2 remakes but didn't get a chance to tackle them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Thanks Azilis! I was actually concerned about Soul Hackers because it reminds me a lot of EO, which I found frustrating -- it was my testing ground because if I didn't like it, I was going to cancel my pre order for SMT IV. I have the P1&2 remakes but didn't get a chance to tackle them yet.
    I might have to give the early Persona games another chance at some point, because now that I'm thinking about it, the battle systems were really similar to Soul Hackers. It was the 3rd person, isometric view along with a kind of grid-based setup that threw me off . . . well, those things and the addition of a number of types of spells and abilities I hadn't seen in P3-4 or even the Digital Devil Saga games. The first-person view in Soul Hackers made it easier for me to understand everything for some reason.