Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockin' Roll with Earthbound on Wii U Virtual Console

Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff Nyx's Avatar

Rockin' Roll with Earthbound on Wii U Virtual Console

Get your tissue boxes, bats and boxing gloves ready because Earthbound has rocked its way to Wii U Virtual Console. Now if you will all excuse me, I have some PK Puppy! to dish out at some Starmen.

News!

*Note: When they asked you your favourite thing, I put "Puppy" because puppies didn't fit. Goooooo me.

Familiar Face Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    At last, I can play this game legally without spending a small fortune! I'll get getting it once I get a Wii U along with Pikmin 3's release.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    At last, I can play this game legally without spending a small fortune! I'll get getting it once I get a Wii U along with Pikmin 3's release.
    $360 isn't a small fortune?

When X comes out, I'll probably grab it too.

If EarthBound were the only reason I was getting a Wii U, then I suppose it would be. XD

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Congratulations.
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website

I have a cart. anyone wana buy it for $350 so I can get a Wii U?(joking about the selling part)
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon

My VAPS Entry,

Wish it was available on the 3DS shop...
    What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhaon View Post
    Wish it was available on the 3DS shop...
    They don't need to sell 3DS'es as much as they need to sell WiiU's

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Well I'm not gonna buy a WiiU for this for sure. I'll get it when I get a WiiU though.
    What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul.

Earthbound is hardly a system seller.

The problem is that Nintendo doesnt have universal account systems and VC games available for both Wii U and 3DS even though both are fully capable of playing them. Not to mention GBA games arent available on either system. Its like Nintendo doesnt like money.

If I ever get a Wii U I will get this, but right now there are no other games I want. Getting an SNES cart is still cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    The Starmen.net guys will probably buy 5 Wii Us and give them out to their friends.

i was going to buy this but i cant get my wii u to connect to even download the update to get on the eshop working, i really dont feel like inputing the manual router numbers everytime i want to get on, why is wii u wifi so terrible.

We shall respectfully disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    The Starmen.net guys will probably buy 5 Wii Us and give them out to their friends.
    That's probably not far from the truth.

We shall respectfully disagree
    We can disagree all you want. I would be willing to bet hard cash that the overall Wii U system sales are not going to be much different than they were before just because this game came out.

I am not saying that this game isnt worth getting, I loved it when I played it. But a 20 year old cult classic rpg isnt going to move massive quantities of consoles.

More people seem to be complaining its not on the Wii VC or the 3DS VC than seem to be considering a Wii U purchase.

Quia ego sic dico RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Eh, I don't think the plan was ever going to be for it to be a big system seller all on its own, especially as it was a bit of a surprise announcement. But it'll push a decent number slightly closer to getting one, be that enough to push them into buying right now or at a later date when it combines with other future games to make it a viable purchase. All those saying they'll get it when they get a Wii U are probably slightly closer to actually buying one. They don't exactly need to sell all the Wii Us right this second, but it makes it a more attractive proposition and in the long run there's a good chance it's more beneficial to encourage more Wii U sales (even if it's not a huge immediate number) than a quick set of $10 purchases.
    "If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

The Wii-U wasn't even on my radar until now. If they didn't think it would help sell systems, why is it not available on the Wii? The Wii is certainly powerful enough to run SNES games. Just sayin'. Kay-O?

We can disagree all you want. I would be willing to bet hard cash that the overall Wii U system sales are not going to be much different than they were before just because this game came out.

I am not saying that this game isnt worth getting, I loved it when I played it. But a 20 year old cult classic rpg isnt going to move massive quantities of consoles.
    On this we agree, and Severin put it very well I feel like I'm parroting him. It's not gong to move MASSIVE numbers -- I do think it's going to push a fair number of fence-sitters over to a purchase in 2013, and people not even considering the system to give it a second look. People do seem to count VC titles when they tick off a five to buy list. Now that the WiiU has a better library (still not great, but improved), a WiiU VC title people have been begging for, and Smashy coming next year, it's considerably more attractive.

New Member Member
    One of my favorite snes rpgs

Releaser of Heavy Metal LegendaryZoltan's Avatar
    Earthbound is a system seller. It sells Super Nintendos. I wouldn't buy a WiiU just for Earthbound as it was back then. Windwaker got remade which is why I feel much more justified to buy a WiiU for that.
    Like RPGs? Then you will like my RPG comedy show. Watch free RIGHT HERE!

FaceBook | Twitter | Website