Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shadowrun Returns on Thursday

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar

Shadowrun Returns on Thursday

Want to survive the mean streets of the Shadowrun world? You're going to need a combination of street smarts, technical know-how, magical mojo, and good old-fashioned firepower.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Oh, good. A Kickstarter game actually comes out instead of pulling this "delays due to broader design" stuff.

I own three Kickstarter games.

I think it's normal that some games get a delay. More funds usually means more ambitious games (in most cases).

Pretty excited for this, going to be the second kickstarter to complete for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Oh, good. A Kickstarter game actually comes out instead of pulling this "delays due to broader design" stuff.
    It did get delayed, though only by a month and I don't think it was a broader design thing. It seems like they've handled extra funds pretty well, making Berlin dlc instead of adding it to the game proper and stretching out development time was a good move.

I'm really looking forward to this. Got a four day weekend set so I'll have some lunch while it installs after work Thursday and then dive in hard. I'm kinda hoping to run through it twice in that time, a street sam first to get a good feel for it and then either a shaman or a rigger, I haven't decided yet. After that I'll start looking to grab some of the stuff big backers have done with their early access to the editor. Maybe Lost Lamb, that one's looking fairly chunky.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass

Technically the game was delayed 6 months, based on the Kickstarter release date. Looks neat though; already got my Steam key.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    This is why game companies don't usually tell us that a game even exists until it's well into development, and then don't usually give release dates far in advance. It's awfully difficult to give a strong release date before your development has begun in earnest, and even more difficult on Kickstarter if you don't know how much funding you're getting and how many stretch goals you'll reach. I don't begrudge most of these early Kickstarters the extra time they've taken, especially ones like Shadowrun that are still coming out on a reasonable schedule.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

This game looks fun. I'd like to try it on for size.

Oh my god that's the sound of my childhood returning with a vengeance. STOKED!!!!

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

So I just read the Eurogamer review....

You can scroll through your combat options quickly and easily, and the game is generous with its lines of sight. Perhaps too generous, since this is not a difficult game. It may resemble XCOM during its more tactical moments, but it lacks that game's ruthless brutality. You'll need to make some pretty horrendous mistakes to fail most of the encounters here.
    Urgh.
    Last edited by Drav; 07-24-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Prod with the Prod The Doomhammer's Avatar
    Since it comes with an editor I'm sure somebody will release a 'hard mode' or something.

I think it's cool that you can recruit the SNES protagonist as a merc. I have this one "preordered" (inasmuch as that sort of thing matters on Steam). Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drav View Post
    So I just read the Eurogamer review....

Urgh.
    That's just one reviewer's opinion. Softpedia said "The title is a tough experience for newcomers but, provided they keep at it and continue to explore the many complex mechanics, it's quite rewarding, especially for those who enjoyed the comebacks of other franchises like Fallout or XCOM in recent years."

Overall reviews are actually fine and the game is mostly losing points for being short, but the reviewers who give it better reviews recognize the game is designed to receive lots of expansions.

I've only played it for two hours, but here are some of my pros and cons.

+Writing is good
    +Combat is good
    +Graphics are nice
    +Soundtrack fits the mood

-No manual saves, not a fan of the checkpoint system
    -No loot from fallen enemies
    -The user interface isn't always the best

Despite the cons, I'm happy I backed it. It would be great if at least the save system got a future patch.

Played for about 6 hours so far. Really enjoying it! In regards to the difficulty, I'm playing on normal, and I've died twice so far. There's two difficulty settings above that, so I bet on those you have to really carefully plan everything out.

Glad to see a kickstarter turn out well .

I'm kind of annoyed at the whole situation. I backed the game and am glad that I did just to have it exist and I've received my Steam key and what have you, but I was holding out for the iOS version to actually play the damn game as I like to play games on my iPad while on break at work. They've been nebulous about the release of the iOS version and just this week said that the iOS version would be 'sometime down the road.' without further clarification.

I'll probably start up the PC version soon, but damn do I hate being forced into using Steam... I've avoided it thus far, guess I can't avoid it forever...

Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff jcservant's Avatar
    Hmm...I don't have the email in front of me, Frozen, but I'm pretty sure the Kickstarter email had directions for downloading the promised DRM Free version of the game as well. I like Steam for its sales, but its not DRM Free

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Loving this game so far, played about 20 hours so far with 2 characters, but have yet to beat it. The short aspect hasn't really bothered me as I do not appear to be near the end on either toon.

Played around a bit with the editor, but sadly my editor broke and won't work forcing me to reinstall everything. No one else seems to have had this issue but me though on their official forums.

I am so getting this game, I don't post in "Saving Throw" but I used ot play the pen and paper Shadowrun game in my University days. The only question is, should I wait till it comes down in price?