Thread: Beta Impressions - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Beta Impressions - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

A handful of RPGamer staff dove into the latest Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Beta, and we're happy to report that things are looking up. Clearly aimed at series fans, the game brings all that and more to the table.

Impressions
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Gunclaws and Meow. Administrator Paws's Avatar
    Here's mine!
    "Got to level 6. Played enough to want to play much, much more. Not keen on getting armour rewards I can't immediately equip. Story is great. Group encounters are seriously fun, but I frequently die and nobody rezzes me I like crafting but I need to do it more."

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    I managed to get quite a bit of playtime in one the game, getting through the first dungeon and leveling multiple classes to 10+, so I'm fairly sure I played it more than the rest of the staff. If anyone wants to ask any questions about the game, its classes, or anything like that, I'll try to answer what I can.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Here's mine, though I'm not staff but want to share my impressions.

Made it up to level 10. Story is very good, and actually feels like a Final Fantasy game story. Gameplay starts off weak for the classes until you're level 10, at which point you have a few more options. Quests are mostly the usual you expect from MMORPGs, but the addition of FATE events really help make it feel less like a chore and more of "what's going to pop up while I attempt to do this quest?" The addition of a system similar to the waypoint system of Guild Wars 2, namely 'checkpoints' that you can use to instantly teleport between points in towns, is a nice touch and helps make traveling to and from areas within towns much easier. A large 'save point' you can teleport to and from other save points from is also a nice addition (if I remember that right). As of right now, because I have only gotten through the beginning slog, I cannot say for certain whether the later content helps make this game an overall good package, but as of right now, I'm very interested.
    Last edited by DarkRPGMaster; 07-25-2013 at 10:03 AM.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Awesome. Thanks for the addition.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm

I have to admit, this actually looks quite good. It's awesome to hear the story is up to par and "feels" like a final Fantasy game. Since it's on the PS3, I will absolutely give it a shot.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

This game will soon consume my life.

Aside from all the Beta content, i can't help but feel i'm most excited for the stuff that is coming up in the release version.
    Housing for one... I can't wait to build a house and furnish it with my carpenter skills and hang out. I want to plant my garden in the front and raise baby chocobos and re-tile the roof etc etc... I feel like this will be especially dynamic because these player built 'towns' will have exterior zones that any player can roam freely through. No one of them will be quite the same, and if a strangers house is unlocked, you can go inside too. I'm going to enjoy exploring that.

Also, i've never been a huge PvP type, but i'm looking forward to it in this game. Maybe not even strictly for playing it so much as the promised feature that we'll be able to watch it. I can't wait to sit in the stands of the Colosseum and watch as other players go at it 4 vs 4 below.

I'm also glad for content finder. While i certainly share the concerns of others about 'communication' and 'sense of community' problems when you are simply thrust into a dungeon with randoms, i still prefer it to haplessly shouting in town for hours or hoping i get stupid lucky that someone else is doing that obscure content that day. Thankfully not just a dungeon finder either, but a finder for primals, PvP, guildhests and whatever else they include down the road.

Also, what piques my interest is that Yoshi has said he intends for the game to go from 40 zones to 80+ before the first expansion. I doubt that means 40 entirely new graphics sets, but i don't mind a couple of re-skins. The ultimate intention is for these current dungeons to have more than one difficulty. The quote is 'several difficulties', which i would take to be 3 or more. Perhaps this just means that a level 15 dungeon will be completely cloned with higher level mobs and called a level 40 dungeon. Even that would still be fine with me... but i suspect that if they made the effort to change the interior layout as well, then you have a whole new zone. I don't mind that the graphics set is reused a few times... okay 10 times would be a bit much, but they surely haven't exhausted their welcome at 1.

Anyway .. yes. My life will soon be absorbed.

I'm very excited for this game; I've always been interest in a Final Fantasy mmo, but 11 and the previous version of 14's controls always threw me off. This one feels fantastic, and its so so very pretty!

The beta is amazingly good, it really is a completely new game. I played Phase 3 for a few weeks and was able to hit the beta level cap and explore most areas.

I'm loving the dungeons and have almost universally good experiences with the groups I've been in.
    I love each city equally and choosing a Grand Company was incredibly difficult because they're all appealing to me.
    I love the Ifrit fight. And "that" level 15 fight reminded me a lot of the XI Maat quests in difficulty and necessity for preparation.

All in all, I'm willing to lose my life to a non-XI MMO again.

Played the Phase 3 beta for less than week (why so late with the keys SE?) and while I found the game very charming theres just something that turned me off about the game but I'm not sure what.

I got to level 20 Lancer, and played through the first 3 dungeons (roll a tank or healer if you don't want to deal with long duty finder (dungeon matchmaking) wait times.) It was very enjoyable to see that the further I progressed, the more bosses/mid-bosses would require different strategies beyond 'tank-and-spank'. The crafting system was neat, albeit terrifying to imagine what the material gathering process would be in end-game. The cutscenes (in-game and FMV) are great as expected and while the writing won't win any awards (from what I've seen). I teamed up with people fairly often and even formed a Linkshell

(Disclaimer, I played a LOT of FFXI back in the day)

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    All the positive word of mouth, trailers, and just desire to play a multiplayer game convinced me to pre-order A Realm Reborn earlier in the summer. Trying to stay away from most information thats out there, including the Beta test, for a completely fresh experience.

Recently the multiplayer PC games I've played have felt incomplete or very unrefined upon initial release, such as Marvel Heroes and Diablo 3. With A Realm Reborn, I have the feeling that for once I'm getting into a PC game that has been through the lengthy patch balancing/addition process to complete the whole package, as opposed to being an early adopter who grew tired of waiting for the developers to address these issues before ultimately moving on.
    Last edited by ChickenGod; 07-25-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    can someone tell me if there are any rogue type classes in the game, besides archer? are there any stealth mechanics, or like, sneak attack/backstab mechanics for the rogue type, if there is one?

I went to the official website and couldn't find any info on a rogue/ninja type.

thanks.

oh yeah, and is there any dual wielding weapons?
    sup?

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudren View Post
    can someone tell me if there are any rogue type classes in the game, besides archer? are there any stealth mechanics, or like, sneak attack/backstab mechanics for the rogue type, if there is one?

I went to the official website and couldn't find any info on a rogue/ninja type.

thanks.

oh yeah, and is there any dual wielding weapons?
    There is no explicit thief, but there are some stealth/backstab mechanics, though probably not where you'd expect.

Both Pugilists and Lancers have a lot of moves that are stronger based on where you stand related to the enemy. For example, a Lancer's Heavy Thrust does more damage and gives Lancers a damage buff if they hits the enemy in the side, while Impulse Drive does more damage from the back. The Lancer is the most boring class in the game unless you take advantage of these, but can be really fun if you do. The Pugilist is less opportunistic and more... rhythmic, I guess? Still, it forces you to dance around the enemy to keep your damage at its peak.

As far as I'm aware, the main stealth skills are currently only given to the Disciples of the Land, the gathering classes like Botanist and Miner. They have to wander through dangerous areas but can't really fight, so they can use stealth instead.

So far, the only dual-wielding in the game is the Pugilist carrying a knuckle or claw weapon in each hand.

It's entirely possible that an actual Thief or Ninja job or a class built around dual-wielding weapons might appear sometime in the future, tough. For one thing, the game's producer has expressed interest in creating a stealthier class that can scout out things for a party. No confirmation about what something like that might be or when it would appear, though.

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    Wow thanks alot for the info twin. That helps alot. Sounds like i'd really like the pug, though if a stealth combat class was ever released i'd switch to that.

I didn't play the original FF14, but I heard so much bad about it. I was expecting at least some UI issues and other crap in the beta, but I didn't find anything to complain about. I was impressed--not enough to pick it up at release, but if some friends wanted me in it, I'd get it.

My first reaction was "lol, there's a slider for bust size." I suppose it is a Japanese MMO after all.
    Rise!

Quote Originally Posted by Shinseitori View Post
    I didn't play the original FF14, but I heard so much bad about it. I was expecting at least some UI issues and other crap in the beta, but I didn't find anything to complain about. I was impressed--not enough to pick it up at release, but if some friends wanted me in it, I'd get it.

My first reaction was "lol, there's a slider for bust size." I suppose it is a Japanese MMO after all.
    Actually thats pretty common in several of the MMO's I play. Heck in AION they have a slider for bust size but they call it "Chest"
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Quote Originally Posted by TwinBahamut View Post
    It's entirely possible that an actual Thief or Ninja job or a class built around dual-wielding weapons might appear sometime in the future, tough. For one thing, the game's producer has expressed interest in creating a stealthier class that can scout out things for a party. No confirmation about what something like that might be or when it would appear, though.
    FFXI didn't add the 'Dual Wield' trait until the game's first expansion pack (Which coincided with the US release of FFXI in 2003), which added Ninja as a playable job. This was then limited to NIN until Wings of the Goddess (2007) gave it to Dancer. It was only then ported to Blue Mage and Thief once the level cap was raised beyond 75 (2010).

My suggestion is that some of the more exotic classes will be kept in reserve for future patches/expansions.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.