Thread: RPG Backtrack: Episode 97 - Another Day, Another Meseta

Cosmo Nova RPGamer Staff JuMeSyn's Avatar

RPG Backtrack: Episode 97 - Another Day, Another Meseta

Sega revived a venerable series with the Dreamcast, but was determined to promote multiplayer over the internet with this incarnation. From the era of dial-up to the present, it's turned into one of the company's biggest franchises.
    Spare some trimate?
    'The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread.' So this is it, huh folks?

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Trimate? How about I just heal you with a Resta? :P

This one I had a lot of fun being on. I hope our listeners enjoy it.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

A couple of music notes;

The Dark Falz Arms theme plays during the first phase of the Dark Falz fight. There are actually something like five variations on this theme, depending on how many Dark Falz Arms quest clears have been logged by the ship/server. Since I play on Ship 01 and the Dark Falz events usually fall in JP Primetimes, we usually go from the '0% defeated' theme straight to the '~80% Defeated' theme.

Tricktrack (Part 2) was used as the theme for PvP battles on the Space maps. PSO was one of the earliest games that I played that used Variable Mix music, varying between a peaceful theme and a battle theme for each zone. The space area in PSO on DC was always considered in a battle, so the peaceful version of Tricktrack was never heard. When PSO Ep I&II on the GC used the space mapset for one of the two VR areas in Episode II, it was considered a full level and finally got a peaceful version of Tricktrack.

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

Angel-Possessed Priestess Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    I could recognize parts of "Pray for IDOLA the Distorted" and "Cry for IDOLA the Holy" in that track for PSO2. Very appropriate, seeing as they are the battle theme for fighting Dark Falz in the original PSO. Very awesome piece, thanks for sharing, Quin!

There is something I wish I had shared on the episode; the final boss fight in PSO Episode III. Man was that thing a pain. It summons mini-boss monsters, which deal a lot of damage and have a good number of HP each! I lucked out and on my third attempt; I beat it because it summoned the monsters behind itself, so they took a while to reach me and I was able to take out the boss with my best cards (played as a Hunter, Ino'lis) before then.

Good times.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Was nice like always, thanks all I always wondering about the other PSO after the episode one and two.
    Hey Phil, it might have been because of recording difficulty you did talk about, but everyone else sound the same as they always did, but you sounded a lot different from usual, hope you are all right

I really need to look at Freedom Force, it's the 2nd time you talk about it, and it's nice to see that they are easily available!

I'm guessing this episode was recorded prior to the 17th of July, which is why Earthbound wasn't mentioned in the news section...

Quin: There is a tease of the Jill Sandwich line in Project X Zone (helpful screenshot here) and Jill's character bio refers to her as the Master of Unlocking.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

Quote Originally Posted by Shaymin View Post
    Quin: There is a tease of the Jill Sandwich line in Project X Zone (helpful screenshot here) and Jill's character bio refers to her as the Master of Unlocking.
    This is pleasing.

Also, to give an idea how much loot can be lying around after a long battle in PSO2 in certain areas, I'll repost this screenshot;

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.