Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review - Dragon's Crown

That Guy You Hate RPGamer Staff omegabyte's Avatar

Review - Dragon's Crown

Dragon's Crown doesn't believe in physics or biology, but that doesn't make it any less fun. Find out what to expect from Vanillaware's brawler/RPG hybrid in RPGamer's official review.

Read the review here
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Well consider me hyped.

Given the game's art design, that should be OVER hyped. :P

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TG Barighm View Post
    Given the game's art design, that should be OVER hyped. :P
    Touché sir. Touché!

A day one purchase once a Euro release is confirmed. Glad you guys enjoyed it.

I haven't got either playstation platforms, but it's rare that this sortof game is developed or is even good, so it's definatelyon my wishlist. Heck I'll start saving now haha.

Game sold well in Japan. Around 175k units on Vita/PS3 combined. I'm happy for VW.

I've got it preordered looking forward to playing it.
    What I have seen and done to achieve my position defies belief. What I am capable of and will be party to in order to retain it would chill your soul.

At $50 and no cross buy, i think i'll pass for now. I wasn't that fond of Odin Sphere back on the ps2 so i'm not sure i will love this game. Besides it releases the same day as Xilia, which is a higher priority for me.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumoau View Post
    At $50 and no cross buy, i think i'll pass for now. I wasn't that fond of Odin Sphere back on the ps2 so i'm not sure i will love this game. Besides it releases the same day as Xilia, which is a higher priority for me.
    It's nothing like Odin Sphere, not even remotely. It also runs infinitely better. No lag or framerate issues or anything like that.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

This game seems a lot better than I expected. Apparently it's got some good length and a plethora of deep RPG elements. It's also scoring very well on Metacritic (sorry, gotta keep track of this stuff with the fantasy pool game).

I may have to consider a purchase after I get some of the other games
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    It's good to hear that Vanillaware has put out a solid game. I'm disappointed that the story is thin, but I enjoyed Oboromuramasa, despite it's minimal story. So, possibly a delayed purchase for me.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)

I have to thank you two for not goosestepping with other gaming "journalists," devolving this review into some manufactured controversy over the state of female identity in video game development, screaming "misogyny" for the sake of garnering more page views. It's good to know some reviewers actually want to report on the game, not conflate their ideologies with the entirety of a particular game's quality.

Just had to get that off my biologically unproportioned chest. The game looks great, but I echo Ryu's concerns over the price tag. Was not expecting to see it going for $50.

I will be getting this somewhat soon. Tales of Xillia and Killer is Dead take priority for me but I am looking forward to this.

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Meh this is not one for me.. I am not a fan of the art style or gameplay type. So ultimately this would not be a positive experience for me as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    I have to thank you two for not goosestepping with other gaming "journalists," devolving this review into some manufactured controversy over the state of female identity in video game development, screaming "misogyny" for the sake of garnering more page views. It's good to know some reviewers actually want to report on the game, not conflate their ideologies with the entirety of a particular game's quality.
    Or people can have a different reaction to the art. Don't come here and trash other sites whose reviews were endorsed by Atlus. That's pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Or people can have a different reaction to the art. Don't come here and trash other sites whose reviews were endorsed by Atlus. That's pathetic.
    We bring up a lot of the same points anyways. There are some serious issues with some of the NPC designs. It's not really the playable characters that are the biggest problem, it's the NPCs during mid-dungeon cutscenes that are the most offensive. And some of them are pretty damn offensive. Three stand out in my mind as being particularly troublesome - the mermaid that shows a large amount of butt cleavage, the "spirit lady" who's effectively naked and wrapped in translucent sheets, and worst of all, the "warrior monk" who sits leaning against a wall with her legs spread wide apart.

It's a perfectly legitimate complaint that's actually a lot worse than the original controversy made it out to be, and it's obviously going to be a bigger deal to some people than to others. I'm not easily offended, but some of this stuff was way over the top and completely unnecessary and unwarranted.
    Follow me on Twitter

Looks suuuper sexy. I loved Odin Sphere, and despite this being very different, Vanillaware has nailed it before and appears to have done so here. I'll buy.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

i can post! thanx paws! Maudren's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by omegabyte View Post
    We bring up a lot of the same points anyways. There are some serious issues with some of the NPC designs. It's not really the playable characters that are the biggest problem, it's the NPCs during mid-dungeon cutscenes that are the most offensive. And some of them are pretty damn offensive. Three stand out in my mind as being particularly troublesome - the mermaid that shows a large amount of butt cleavage, the "spirit lady" who's effectively naked and wrapped in translucent sheets, and worst of all, the "warrior monk" who sits leaning against a wall with her legs spread wide apart.

It's a perfectly legitimate complaint that's actually a lot worse than the original controversy made it out to be, and it's obviously going to be a bigger deal to some people than to others. I'm not easily offended, but some of this stuff was way over the top and completely unnecessary and unwarranted.
    Everything you just said makes me want the game even more. My body is so reggie it hurts.