Thread: Review - ArcaniA: The Complete Tale

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar

Review - ArcaniA: The Complete Tale

The Gothic series is not the most well known or beloved series in the history of Western RPGs. Find out within if this trend has been bucked, or if it falls off a cliff.

Review - ArcaniA: The Complete Tale
    Last edited by Wheels; 07-31-2013 at 02:41 PM.

This game shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the other Gothic games.

Haha, well you'll be happy to know the name Gothic isn't used at all other than in the name of the main quest in this version.

I actually enjoyed the combat. Kind of like Fable, but with more hardcore RPG elements. Fable is fun but I find it too shallow, so Arcania felt like something I've been looking for. But man, is it glitchy. Terrible production values. Entire houses and hillsides can disappear right before your eyes. Worse, they'd stay that way even if you had a quest or other reason to be there. Ever try to find your way through an invisible house? I'd say the graphics were downright busted.
    Last edited by TG Barighm; 07-31-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Prod with the Prod The Doomhammer's Avatar
    Ah, ArcadiA. I bought the game and its expansion a while back during some fit of madness. Really soulless experience, so much so that the main thing about it I remember is how damn linear it is. As I recall you basically do a big lap of the island with pretty much no deviation or exploration or anything at all. It just felt so... artificial.

I also remember that the expansion was like two hours long max, which was hilarious considering it cost about twenty bucks at the time.

I didn't need to play more than the demo. As soon as I tried to jump across a 2 ft wide steam and hit an invisible wall, I knew.

Prod with the Prod The Doomhammer's Avatar
    Yeah, that's always a pleasure.

Sheesh, what else is there to say about this game... it... uh... it scores high on the Start-to-death-of-Hero's-pregnant-girlfriend review scale, there's that.
    Last edited by The Doomhammer; 08-01-2013 at 03:31 AM.

It's too bad this is bad, oddly enough the PS3 is receiving plenty of quality JRPGs this year but no WRPGs(other than South Park, that should be fun I hope).

Tactic's Ogre I choose u! scorpio_7's Avatar
    Is this connected to the Realms of Arkania remake which came out on the 30th?

If so, then I'm not surprised its bad. The realms of arkania game is an absolute disaster.

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    Nah, it's compeltely unconnected to Realms of Arkania. It's actually part of the Gothic series. The original PC release of this game was called Arcania: Gothic 4 (back in 2010), although they appear to have removed the Gothic branding for this release of it.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

Quote Originally Posted by Severin Mira View Post
    Nah, it's compeltely unconnected to Realms of Arkania. It's actually part of the Gothic series. The original PC release of this game was called Arcania: Gothic 4 (back in 2010), although they appear to have removed the Gothic branding for this release of it.
    Yeah the Gothic branding is nowhere to be found, apparently the rights to the series name returned to the original developer in 2011, and that's why it was removed for the re-release. Even though said developer has a publishing agreement with the publisher of this one. I wonder if they want to make their own Gothic 4 some day?

I absolutely LOVED Gothic and Gothic 2. But the third entry was pretty damned uneven. I'm not even remotely surprised at this review. It seems this style of game is tough outside of Elder Scrolls and The Witcher.

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    I absolutely LOVED Gothic and Gothic 2. But the third entry was pretty damned uneven. I'm not even remotely surprised at this review. It seems this style of game is tough outside of Elder Scrolls and The Witcher.
    That was kind of what I was thinking the whole time going through the game. The developer clearly wanted to be something like that without anywhere near either the technical knowhow or the manpower. Its a shame too, because with the fun combat in a smaller scale engine more suited to their talents the developers may have made something quite good. I'm all for more lower-budget type games, but these developers need to learn to work within their limits instead of putting out stuff like this and the original Two Worlds etc.

is not declawed RPGamer Staff Ocelot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Confessor Rahl View Post
    Well, this one was made by completely different people than any of the previous Gothics.

Funny story... we never ended up reviewing the PC version of ArcaniA because the review copy fried my brand-new video card (which was fortunately under warranty, so I got it replaced). I refused to put it near my computer after that, and I couldn't convince anybody else on the site to take the darn thing. I think it's somewhere in my basement now, shoved between old games on 5.25 inch floppy.
    Last edited by Ocelot; 08-01-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

They actually sent us multiples, too. The review copy I received of ArcaniA didn't unlock on launch day.

It sounds like they should rename this game 'Crap on Toast'.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
    It sounds like they should rename this game 'Crap on Toast'.
    Only if you want to ruin perfectly good toast!