Thread: RPGCast - Episode 273: "Get Off The Mixer"

Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Administrator sabin1001's Avatar

RPGCast - Episode 273: "Get Off The Mixer"

RPGCast - Episode 273: "Get Off The Mixer"

The internet conspires against the podcast this week. First it sends cats to attack the equipment, then it breaks Twitch.tv, and finally it takes out all of England's connectivity. But that won't keep our heroes from spending $500 on Jim Raynor.

You can find the links to all our stories on delicious: http://delicious.com/rpgamer/273

RPGCast streams live on Saturday at Noon Eastern / 9 AM Pacific.

Leave your feedback in the following ways!
    Post in this thread.
    Email us at podcast@rpgamer.com
    Leave us a voicemail at (608) 729-4098
    Email us an mp3 or m4a voicemail at podcast@rpgamer.com

Download the show: "Get Off The Mixer"
    Subscribe to the feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Rpgcast
    Subscribe in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...t?id=264306390
    Subscribe your Zune: Zune Player Link

When it comes to getting Japan to start focusing on the West... money talks and BS walks. Basically, Final Fantasy would have to start selling like Call of Duty does, and Call of Duty would have to start selling like Hyperdimension Neptunia. Also, the companies can't be publicly traded in Japan or you run into a Nintendo situation where the shareholders would demand more of a Japanese focus.

Best Breath of Fire also goes with another quality mod: The Breath of Fire 2 Fan Retranslation, which makes the game make sense and also brings over the run button from the GBA version.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

yes I guess that's the bottom line. Who knows, maybe we can get kickstarter projects to localize some of the more viable Japanese games over here. Another problem could be niche nature of RPG's which is actually probably the same point-dependent on Return on Investment.
    On another note, About Dragon's Crown. The occasoinal , questionable bit of sexist art is not a deal breaker for me. Diablo 3 made me far more angry. In fact the bizarre attempt to make Lara Croft more vulnerable in the latest Tomb Raider game made me more angry.
    The battleground for the correct attitudes and respect towards women should be elsewhere , with parents, teachers, in workplaces etc who should reinforce the correct boundaries of acceptability etc.

On a slightly unrelated note, I'm checking out Rosario & Vampire because Anna mentioned it, seems like a lot of fun woohoo!
    (Randomly) The Wii-U is not doing well, it's unloved and low-spec but as an owner of a 3DS excel, I'm prefectly happy if Nintendo concentrates on making more RPG's for that instead.
    I have to decide, sometime if I want to buy the PS3, Vita or PS4, at the moment the Vita is not well supported, and Ideally I'd wait until there are enough good games for PS4 before I commit to expenditure.
    Last edited by Fowl Sorcerous; 08-06-2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: double post. (why do we still get these? there's a nice edit button.)

For the question about whether Japan should start catering to a worldwide market- I think the answer is obviously yes, spoken as someone who doesn't live in Japan and speaks no Japanese.

But the reality is a lot more complicated. For one, it's easier to work with what you know and your own culture is the easiest to access. Second, the Japanese culture seems predisposed to be very internally focused, and couldn't seem to care less if their media is accessible to other cultures. Third, the reality of attempting to aim media at other cultures seems to be a much more complicated problem than might be worth solving, from a time and money perspective.

I can't help but reverse the concept. Most western games seem very targeted for the Western market, and I can't imagine that the Japanese are clamoring for the latest Call of Duty or WRPG. If we are to expect Japanese game developers to internationalize their focus, shouldn't we be asking the same of our own game developers? Maybe we are, but other than say Skyrim getting a Japanese release, the most focus seems to be on South Korea from Blizzard.

I'm also not sure if its right to ask them to design FOR us, because that's not what the fans are necessarily looking for. I think there should be more efforts to localize the good media, and I think that the better move might be to internationalize IPs. Maybe have Eidos Montreal work on a westernized version of Final Fantasy? I don't know.

On a side note, I can feel John's pain about the region locking. The moment I started considering importing the Dragon Quest games on the 3DS that I'm afraid we wont get.... d'oh!

I didn't learn anything! MasterChief's Avatar
    First off, Twilight Sparkle plushie. We have to clear the "princess or not" debate. She became a princess at the end of Season 3, with her conversion to an alicorn (wings + horn). Now, without wings, you have humble librarian Twilight.

Throw on some wings (and a tiara sometimes) and you have the Princess of Libraries.

Settings, interesting. Honestly, I don't care if it's a JRPG or not, I'd like to see more diverse settings. Seems only Tecmo Koei is doing anything with the Three Kingdoms era of China with its Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Dynasty Warriors franchises, and I'd love to see some more done there. Honestly, Assassin's Creed III in Revolutionary America already seemed a mistake because the cities weren't nearly as vertical as those in previous games. Seriously, Jerusalem and Florence are great for that franchise not because of their history, but because of how fun they are to climb around in. But yeah, in addition to the Three Kingdoms, I wouldn't be opposed to the War of 1812 (ah, imagine the debates on the podcast!) or the United States Civil War (oh imagine the riots among the "south will rise again" types!). Hell, there are only 31 WWI games!

As to Japan trying to cater to the west, no. Every time they've tried, they've failed miserably. Need I remind you all of Quantum Theory?

"What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.

Thanks for spoiling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paws View Post
    Thanks for spoiling it.
    Hey! Not my fault you didn't tell me you hadn't seen the end of Season 3 yet.

I thought I mentioned I was in the middle of season 2. But I think not knowing she was a princess was probably telling ^^;

Well, I thought you were just talking about the doll version, since Chris seemed pretty adamant about the whole Princess thing...

Ironically, it does explain why my plushie has wings which was perplexing to me. Also, she has the princess dress but it's like...totally ****ty so we didn't buy it. She's goin' au natural.

Quote Originally Posted by smacd View Post
    I can't help but reverse the concept. Most western games seem very targeted for the Western market, and I can't imagine that the Japanese are clamoring for the latest Call of Duty or WRPG. If we are to expect Japanese game developers to internationalize their focus, shouldn't we be asking the same of our own game developers? Maybe we are, but other than say Skyrim getting a Japanese release, the most focus seems to be on South Korea from Blizzard.
    I think the issue is that when people talk about Japanese developers internationalizing, we make the mistake of talking about content. Personally, I don't want more western-style themes and characters from Japanese studios (though I would be happy if I never saw another child protagonist in a game ever), mainly because they've been pushed to the point of exhaustion from North American and Western European developers. Manny said this on the podcast many many moons ago, but what Japan needs to work on is mechanical, not stylistic. Bring us the crazy ideas, but do they really need to be couched in archaic, unintuitive menu design and controls? Can we please, pretty please, do away with save points and just let us save wherever the hell we feel like? Must tutorials be more than an hour long? This is what Japan needs to get rid of, not its tendency towards stylization.

Speaking of games with terrible mechanics, I picked up Dragon's Crown this week, mainly because I've been on a beat-em-up kick lately with Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper and Dynasty Warriors 8. I can safely say that both those games are vastly superior to Dragon's Crown. I'm five hours in, mostly because I've been grinding a bit, and I'm already quite miffed at some of the questionable design decisions. First off, that cursor can go die in a God damned fire. Seriously, I have to tap the screen all over the place? What happened to simply bashing objects in the environment for goodies? It really gives the feeling that this intended to be yet another in a long line of games that relied on gimmicky touch screen contrivances, but refused to let said contrivances go for the home release. This of course ignores the fact that even the slightest bit of pressure on the right stick will send the gigantic red cursor wandering off on autopilot until you stop it with another flick of the right stick, providing effective distraction at the worst possible times. Speaking of distractions, while the 2D art is lush and clearly had lots of effort into it, there tends to be a whole lot of it on screen at times. I find myself frequently losing my spot on the map because I can't make out my Amazon or the red circle on the floor around her for all the nonsense that's going on on-screen. Also, some of the animation looks odd... It's hard to explain, but it often looks like, rather than multiple sprites for animation, a singular sprite is being manipulated, making it look like a crude paper puppet than fluid 2D animation. Oddly enough, breast and buttocks jiggle is given extreme levels of attention, but we'll get to that later. In addition, even after several upgrades, the basic four-hit attack string is slow, with the last frame of each attack's animation lingering for longer than it should, leaving the character feeling like she's underwater.

After the adventure, it's still nonsensical. There's no apparent option to bulk-appraise all items in the post-adventure screen, and no option to sell items individually, thereby mandating a visit to Morgan's shop and rendering the results screen useless for anything other than watching your EXP bar rise. Why the guild is where you use skill points instead of the inn is also baffling, but the worst thing is how large the cards are. Depending on the skill, it can take quite a few seconds more than it should to get to it in the radial card menus.

Now comes the overt sexual imagery. Now I normally ignore/roll my eyes when people bring up sexism when talking about a game, as the discussion will, 99% of the time, boil down to "Teh outfitz r skimpeh, SEXIZM." Now while I won't bring out the "sexism" card here, I will say, without reservation, that Dragon's Crown is one of the most juvenile games I've picked up in a good long while. It almost makes Team Ninja look respectable in comparison. Almost. Now I'm playing an Amazon and thus have not really seen much of the Sorcoress' animations, but the Amazon has some interesting animation choices as well. In her running animation, her breasts flop about as though her top were merely offering suggestions as opposed to actually restraining them, and in a jump's downward motion, the buttock on the far side of the sprite will rise up as though someone were blowing an industrial strength fan up at it, giving the impression that her *** is made of jell-O. Given the rest of her insanely muscled build, it looks a bit off.

Now I didn't mind the mermaid as much. OK, it's a mermaid, probably not a culture where they do the clothes thing a lot, and it didn't look like she was particularly making an effort to show off. There's, however, a monk a couple levels later that had me facepalming. Now I could describe how the pose would likely be insanely uncomfortable for a woman who's had one of her calves chewed on by a wolf, and I could point out the hilariously suggestive grunts that sometimes play while the narrator is doing his thing, but instead I'll just put a picture, and let you facepalm organically.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Put short, the juxtaposition of gorgeous art against a relentless dedication to juvenile portrayals of women, while reminiscent of All-Star Batman and Robin, would at least be forgiven if the game was less concerned with being as cluttered as possible and were an actual fun beat-em-up like the Capcom D&D games it's trying to painfully to emulate. You'd be better off importing that from Play-Asia when the disc version comes out later this month, or getting the PSN/XBLA version if you're so inclined, than wasting your time on this pale imitator. Or hey, give the other two beat-em-ups I mentioned earlier a go. Lots of fun to be had there.