Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tales of Xillia Launches with a New Trailer

Tales of Xillia Launches with a New Trailer

It's Xillia Time! Unless you're in Europe, in which case, here's a free coupon for 'Xillia Time' to redeem on Friday so you can celebrate as well. Also, a launch trailer.

[NEWS]

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Playing it right now. Have to say it feels just right. Combines Graces F's skill based combat with some of the older Tales combat. Skill learning is also quite nice, with a Sphere Grid like setup.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff Wheels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRPGMaster View Post
    Combines Graces F's skill based combat with...
    music to my ears!

They even brought back the shop experience, though now it seems to be based around all shops...as far as I can tell. Meaning leveling up the weapons shop levels up ALL weapon shops, hopefully. Also, you can use healing artes outside of battles again (thank god).
    Last edited by DarkRPGMaster; 08-06-2013 at 03:17 PM.
    User Database Check

Downloading the digital version now. Alittle annoyed that there was no preorder on the NA psn store despite other countries having the option. So i had to pay near full price ($54.99) with no bonus content added. Wish my ps3 disk drive didn't crap out on me. >_<

Oh well. Hopefully i'll enjoy the game itself.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau

chaotic neutral observer ironmage's Avatar
    I'm definitely playing this, but I'll be joining late; amazon.com's delivery estimate is the 14th -> 20th. Being Canadian, you'd think I'd use amazon.ca, but they ship via UPS, and I grew tired of finding footprints on my packages. An extra week doesn't make much difference; I'd never be able to keep up with DarkRPGMaster anyway.

I too am glad that Xillia tends towards Graces-f type combat, and I'm hoping for an Abyss or Vesperia-class storyline.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven

I have this pre-ordered, but I don't have the money to pick it up until Friday. lol

Anyways, what pre-order bonuses did this game come with?

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I have this pre-ordered, but I don't have the money to pick it up until Friday. lol

Anyways, what pre-order bonuses did this game come with?
    retail preorders come with 2 dlc outfits, a soundtrack, and a artbook. the digital version on the EU store i think comes with 2 dlc outfits and a ps3 theme.

By Graces F skilled combat, here's what I mean.

Backstepping is important because if you time it right, each character will pull off a different moves that's advantageous for you. For example, if you backstep perfectly as Jude, you'll disappear and reappear directly behind your opponent. Critical attacks are easy to pull off behind the enemy, so this is good. They have an action gauge that goes down with each backstep and attack, and the second it hits zero it waits a half a second to a second to instantly recharge. However, you cannot dodge around an enemy through the usual guard thing, so you have to use free run again, which luckily does not use any of the gauge. You can also jump once again for this Tales, meaning aerial combat is possible once again, as is jumping over spells and attacks. Grade is now obtained from getting titles (which do nothing outside of that), so you can go to a higher difficulty and not hold back (and the higher difficulties are not that hard if you're skilled).

Linking characters allows characters to combo very efficiently and combine artes if they both have a move that will work together (the game itself tells you in battle in the artes menu), and some of them are downright deadly. The Overlimit now is exclusive for the Link attacks, so you're going to have to use them (though each character has their own link ability, so it's not too bad). TP is back once again, so there's a limit to the spam (it also takes a part of the action gauge). Luckily attacking gets you 1 TP back once again, so that's good, as is the fact that linked characters, when using a regular arte followed by normal attacks, will both gain TP back instead of just the one person. Taunting also gives back TP now.

And that's all I can say for the battles as of right now.
    User Database Check

I haven't received the game yet, just wondering does it have difficulty options(and able to change mid-game) again? Every now and then I play co-op and my partner isn't very skilled at these kinds of games so I'd generally lower the difficulty when we're both playing.

Of course, that's a Tales staple at this point.
    User Database Check

It had been too long since I played Vesperia or Abyss, I didn't remember if those had difficulty options.

It amuses me greatly that the VA for Alvin is the same guy as Yuri Lowell from Vesparia
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D

Is it just me or does anyone else notice a strange lisp when Milla talks? It doesn't bother me too much personally but i could imagine it annoying alot of other gamers. I'm only an hour or two in the game, so maybe there might be a story reason for this. It seems kinda weird they would let that slide for the voice acting of one of the main characters in the game though.

Loving the battle system, Milla Maxwell as a heroine, and the GP node board thing. I'm a big fan of sphere grid upgrades in any rpg.

I've noticed it too. But I let it slide, because I slightly find it cute, and it fits her character as she's trying to understand humans at times.
    User Database Check

It is beyond indescribable how much I want mine to arrive. It was supposed to be yesterday but got bumped to Thursday. SO bummed about that, especially reading this thread. Can't wait!

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief

News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff Severin Mira's Avatar
    My Collector's Edition was near Lille in France this morning, which should put it on schedule to arrive on the release date here Friday. I've taken the day off work (mostly due to various appointments in the morning and figuring I'd just take the entire day) so would be awesome for it to make an afternoon and evening of new Tales
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)

I'll have it in my mail sometime next week.

I need money so I can buy this game!

Hmm. You know, it occurs to me that I've never played a Tales game, in all the time I've played JRPGs (SNES/PS1/PS2/PS3). Guess I should go see if Gamestop has a cheap copy of something (Graces F?) to give it a try.