Thread: Pokémon Evolve and Train in New Ways in X/Y

Staff Healer RPGamer Staff TwinBahamut's Avatar

Pokémon Evolve and Train in New Ways in X/Y

The truth behind Mewtwo's mysterious new appearance has been revealed, and understanding this secret will help any trainers who want to give their Blaziken a nice upgrade. The Pokémon community will have to put up with a lot more Digimon jokes from now on, though.

[Link]
    Last edited by TwinBahamut; 08-09-2013 at 10:20 AM.

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Looks like Super Training will be a faster way to EV train. We'll see how that pans out.

Despite the "Evolution" moniker, these seem to be largely identical to the alternate Formes seen in previous generations. They are still the same species but with different (if not higher) stats, different apperance, maybe a new/altered Type, and maybe a new Ability. It's interesting, and I rather like the designs for Blaziken and Lucario, as well as Absol's Mega form in the CoroCoro leak. Ampharos is silly, but I also kind of like it.

Speaking of Absol, a chance to have one strong enough to be more viable competitively would be awesome. I love Absol, and while I use one from time to time, it's outclassed by a lot of Pokemon in the meta game. I was also always worried that an evolution would make it ugly, but Absol's Mega Evolution form is not only temporary, it actually looks pretty sweet.

Mewtwo's Mega/Awakened form is going to have even higher Special attack? If it's Attack Forme Deoxys level or higher, that would be scary indeed.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderator ChickenGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Eggs View Post
    Speaking of Absol, a chance to have one strong enough to be more viable competitively would be awesome. I love Abol, and while I use one from time to time, it's outclassed by a lot of Pokemon in the meta game. I was also always worried that an evolution would make it ugly, but its Mega Evolution form is not only temporary, it actually look pretty sweet.
    Agreed Strawberry, Absol is finally getting the love it deserves. Although who can say whether or not these Mega Evolutions will make these Pokemon as strong as typical Legendaries and thus make them frowned upon.

Have to say, this is some of the most exciting news I've ever seen coming out of Pokemon. They managed to take a few of my favorite Pokemon and make them look Absolutely cool, such as Mawile, and even turned Pokemon I didn't care much for like Blaziken and made them desirable. Absol and Mawile have a guaranteed spot on my X/Y team, thats for sure. Last time I was excited to play Pokemon was back with Ruby/Sapphire, but I'm looking forward to seeing what else X/Y has in store.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach

The new Ampharos looks Amphabulous. And hey, legit Speed Boost Blaziken. This pleases me.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff GaijinMonogatari's Avatar
    Anyone know what the opponent critter is in this screen?

l_52051ddeee198.jpg

I don't see anything similar listed on Bulbapedia, and it reminds me of a rumor about a "Kaenchu" (fire-type Pikachu) that some of my students were talking about last month.

Nevermind, Serebii.net has him identified as Dedenne, an Electric/Fairy type.
    Last edited by GaijinMonogatari; 08-09-2013 at 10:39 PM.

It seems Pokémon took a page from it's old rival Digimon, which has always had temporary evolutions like this - one of them even named "Mega".

A lawsuit waiting to happen?

They've announced Mega Kangaskhan at the World Championship. It's a normal Kangaskhan, but the baby fights along-side it outside of the pouch.

While this is nice, I'm still waiting to hear what this new Fairy type will be strong and weak against (other then Dragon.)

A Witness to Destruction Moderator DarkRPGMaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    It seems Pokémon took a page from it's old rival Digimon, which has always had temporary evolutions like this - one of them even named "Mega".

That's actually what I was thinking, since the second I heard about this I made the connection to Digimon.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    While this is nice, I'm still waiting to hear what this new Fairy type will be strong and weak against (other then Dragon.)
    Most speculate that it's weak to steel and poison.

A Familiar Teacher Administrator Strawberry Eggs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post

They probably should have just called them "Mega Formes" to avoid the comparison. :P As I said before, these so-called "Mega Evolutions" are more like the alternate Formes seen in previous generations than typical Pokemon evolution.
    "Tiz, please. You're getting bumpkin all over my feral bikini woman fantasy. "

The Fairy stuff will apparently be announced next month in CoroCoro magazine.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups

I too am excited for the mega forms, but did they really have to give Absol wings?
    And I love the idea of the super training since I have never been patient enough to properly EV train even with an Action Replay
    Kain: "Conscience...? You dare speak to me of conscience? Only when you have felt the full gravity of choice should you dare to question my judgment!"